Mondeo tdci 130 Ghia estate 2003 Euro 3 - Mondeo tdci not coming on boost., - Graham.

Heres a poser then. work done over the last 2 years. New turbo fitted and all seems fine with it. Actuator arm moves freely no issues in the vacuum pipes. No splits in the pipe work running round to the inlet manifold. EGR valve is as clean as a whistle and functions ok although I have blanked the thing off. Inlet manifold is also cleaned and fitted new gaskets when replacing. Intercooler is clear and no splits. Dual mass flywheel replaced including new clutch etc. New set of injectors and recode including a software update. New exhaust system including cat. No fault codes, no flashing glow plug light and no error codes. The car runs sweet but lacks the sizzle it used to have when you ask it perform. I get a rumbling sound which I thought was exhaust when you squeeze the throttle and at the point where the turbo starts to kick in. Its not exhaust more like the engine is struggling to draw air through the pipe work instead of the turbo forcing air through. I am thinking map sensor may be duff. MAP sensor was taken out to clean and when replaced the engine became noisy the good old diesel clatter. The clatter is not bad but is always present, lack of air? MPG is reading 54.2 and pretty constant although put your foot down and it drops off quickly. Any ideas guys?

Edited by Graham. on 25/03/2013 at 10:13

Mondeo tdci 130 Ghia estate 2003 Euro 3 - Mondeo tdci not coming on boost., - Collos25

Is it an electronic actuator if so did you change it with the turbo as they are not to be split unless you have the correct test and calibration tools a mismatch here will cause all sorts of problems.Blanking off the EGR on this engine is not a very good idea unless you have re written the program to the ECU again will cause problems unless you are lucky.Testing the MAF sensor is quite easy unplug it if you notice no difference its faulty but beware these are prone to the wiring loom near the plug becoming faulty.

Mondeo tdci 130 Ghia estate 2003 Euro 3 - Mondeo tdci not coming on boost., - Graham.

Hi Collos25

the actuator is not electrical it is a vacuum type. The actuator came as a complete unit with the turbo when it was fitted. I have checked all vacuum lines for splits and blockages but none found. There is no electrical connector on the EGR valve again it is purely vacuum operated. Am I right in saying that unplugging the MAF or the MAP sensors will put the ECU into a default setting. I spoke to a guy at Protech and he said if I unplugged the MAP the performance will come back but I will get a warning light up.

Edited by Graham. on 26/03/2013 at 13:34

update unplugged the MAF sensor while the engine was on tick over and no change. No change in engine note, performance etc. This cant be normal surely? Would have thought it should have some effect. No warning lights nothing. Help any input would be cool peeps. G.

OK so put in a new maf sensor. Disconected the battery for an hour to clear ECU. Done around 200 miles no different. Help any clues guys.

One more thought. The hot wire in the MAF sensor runs at about 200C surely you should be able to feel the heat coming off if you hold it close to your skin? or smell the heat if you give it a sniff. At that temperature would it not glow a little? I am getting nothing from both old and new MAF

Unplugged the MAF and put a volt meter negative to the battery then staring from the pin on the left looking down on the plug I get 13.6V pin 1, 0.6V pin 2, 0.6V pin 3, 3.6V pin 4 right wrong who knows? Help driving me nuts here.