Just MOT's Hastings - mac313

Just got back from this establishment, 2nd year where I've got apparent advisories. Last year was a problem with steering rack joints, got them replaced and once removed the offending parts were not an issue and shouldn't have been an advisory, today was worse. 2 nails in tyres o/s/r and o/s/f, I took it to Kwik fit for repair and low n behold.....no nails! Just Mots just targeting me for their VOSA stats?

Edited by Avant on 16/03/2013 at 17:55

Just MOT's Hastings - Bromptonaut

Not sure I understand your beef. ince you don't mention a fail I assume your car passed both times.

Advisories are just that, advice. Maybe something out of the scope of the MoT, a marginal pass or parts beginnig to wear and needing monitoring. Up to you what you do about them. If business name isright they don't do repairs so no question of drumming up stuff for the workshop.

If there were nails in your tres and you'd not noticed then shouldn't you be grateful for having them pointed out?

And no I've no connection with Hastings and live in the Midlands.

Just MOT's Hastings - RT

As advisories are recorded electronically and the history can now be seen by prospective buyers, it's detrimental to have false advisories showing.

It's also fraud - the MoT tester is reporting false results to VOSA.

As advisories are recorded electronically and the history can now be seen by prospective buyers, it's detrimental to have false advisories showing.

In that case it's detrimental to have any advisories showing. The issue with tyres was demonstrably not false, the steering components no more than conflicting opinion.

My car picks up advisories now and then on handbrake cables. Never doneanything with them and they appear one year and then go away next.

Just MOT's Hastings - RT

In that case it's detrimental to have any advisories showing.

I agree - owners who take care/pride in their cars shouldn't have unjustified advisories showing on the vehicle history (it's never deleted nowadays) - especially if it's to make it look like the MoT tester is being diligent when he isn't.

Just MOT's Hastings - 72 dudes

In that case it's detrimental to have any advisories showing. The issue with tyres was demonstrably not false,

There were in fact no nails in the tyres according to OP, so he should report the garage to VOSA.

Last two years my wife's 207 had an advisory for a small chip in the windscreen. This year, no mention of it. I queried it and the service advisor said the rules had changed! Don't think so.

Advisories are therefore fairly subjective, but telling somebody they have nails in their tyres if they just plain don't, is clearly wrong/immoral/possibly fraudulent.

Surprised Kwikfit didn't agree with them though, must be an honest branch (allegedly)

There were in fact no nails in the tyres according to OP, so he should report the garage to VOSA.

My read of the OP is that there were nails in the tyre at time of test but he went straight to kwikfit and got them sorted.

The test of the vehicle is 'as presented' so advisories absolutely justified. Surprised nails are not a fail.

Just MOT's Hastings - Galaxy

today was worse. 2 nails in tyres o/s/r and o/s/f, I took it to Kwik fit for repair and low n behold.....no nails!

This statement can be understood in one of two different ways. Either there were no nails found in the tyres when the car was taken to Kwik-Fit, or there were nails present and Kwik-Fit removed the nails and repaired the tyres.

However, since the OP states "today was worse" then I'm rather inclined to believe there were no nails subsequently found when the car was taken to KF. This is because, if nails had been found during the test, I would hardly describe this as being "worse"

Perhaps the OP would care to return and clarify?

Just MOT's Hastings - Andrew-T

This statement can be understood in one of two different ways. Either there were no nails found in the tyres when the car was taken to Kwik-Fit, or there were nails present and Kwik-Fit removed the nails and repaired the tyres.

Or just possibly, the nails were only stuck in the tread, and fell out during the drive to KwikFit. In which case they were probably picked up from the MoT testing station floor?

Just MOT's Hastings - Happy Blue!

I spotted a nail in my f/o tyre a few weeks ago. No obvious drop in pressure, but I went to my usual tyre man for a repair/replacement. Outside, the nail was near the shoulder and either expensive repair or replace. Took the tyre off and there was no puncture at all, no sign of any puncture. Nail could easily have dropped out as the tyre wore down. So the OP's nails could have been there at the time of the MoT but not at Kwik Fit.

Just MOT's Hastings - Collos25

I think the OP is leaving himself open to be sued for slander in this mitigating world its sometimes best to keep quiet.

I think you must mean litigating ... :-)

Just MOT's Hastings - Avant

I took out a sentence in the original post which might have been risky.

Just MOT's Hastings - jc2

And it's LIBEL not SLANDER.(Slander is verbal-in writing it's libel).

And it's LIBEL not SLANDER.(Slander is verbal-in writing it's libel).

Stop being so pedantic.

I assume the OP has done both in his quest for notoriety.

I think you must mean litigating ... :-) I certainly do.

Just MOT's Hastings - Gordon17

Why go back to a place that you had issues with last year?

Just MOT's Hastings - Ben 10

I've used an MOT station for over 20 years and they just do MOTs. No repairs. They pride themselves on the fact. If your car fails, you know it isn't a ghost problem they will sell you a repair.

I'd happily recommend them to anyone. They are fair and honest. Not after work like the MOT/garage combination.

I've used an MOT station for over 20 years and they just do MOTs. No repairs. They pride themselves on the fact. If your car fails, you know it isn't a ghost problem they will sell you a repair.

Some local councils do MoT testing at reasonable charges for customers with any connection to the local authority. They are usually very competent places used to dealing with the authority vehicle fleet.