What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
TV car advertising - FoxyJukebox
Now then-hands up anybody who has seen any adverts for petrol cars in the last few months-they’re still on forecourts, still as expensive as ever but still in demand.
But why aren’t they being advertised?
TV car advertising - 72 dudes
Now then-hands up anybody who has seen any adverts for petrol cars in the last few months-they’re still on forecourts, still as expensive as ever but still in demand. But why aren’t they being advertised?

Hands up. Seen lots of ads for the Renault Symbioz recently

TV car advertising - gordonbennet

Haven't seen a TV advert of any description for well over a decade.

Suspect the coming fines for selling cars our betters have deemed wrong is causing all sorts of drastic decisions in the boardrooms, presumably battery cars are being pushed as hard as they can...though it doesn't seem to be working with private buyers.

TV car advertising - Adampr

I can't remember the last time I saw a TV ad for any car. Mind you, I don't watch a lot of telly and I'm much too middle class for ITV. Ghastly.

TV car advertising - Lee Power

Only recent tv adverts I seen for new cars have been Mazda, Renault & also Nissan with there e Power that has the disclaimer in small print at the bottom of the advert to point out its not an electric vehicle & requires petrol.

TV car advertising - catsdad

I think Cupra sponsor the ‘indents” at the end of some ITV main ads with some reference to sponsoring the programme directly. If it’s not them, some other company does.

Suzuki were advertising until relatively recently this year in the main ads. Hyundai ran an ad campaign around how to say their name but that might have been earlier.

TV car advertising - Heidfirst

Only recent tv adverts I seen for new cars have been Mazda, Renault & also Nissan with there e Power that has the disclaimer in small print at the bottom of the advert to point out its not an electric vehicle & requires petrol.

Toyota too have had recent TV advertising - more range choice rather than individual model

TV car advertising - Gibbo_Wirral

I see plenty of car adverts.

What I don't see are any technical details - just some sort of "lifestyle" with the people and the car they're in. If its a family, the odds are its a multicultural one, with bonus points to the manufacturer if they're same sex.

Sometimes I don't even see a car's interior in some of the ads!

Look at this one - the car's biggest selling feature is the stupid big tablet in the centre of the console boasting "50 apps"

www.tvadsongs.uk/renault-symbioz-advert-e-tech-ful.../

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 20/09/2024 at 13:43

TV car advertising - Ian_SW

Car adverts on TV are nowhere as good as they used to be. The Peugeot adverts were always pretty good 20 years ago, even if the cars weren't. Similarly with the legendary Nissan Almera adverts, which despite being very good were unable to do much about making many people want a really dull car.

There have been a couple of adverts which in my opinion have been a bit of an own goal recently, and probably achieved the opposite effect the marketing department intended.

The Hyundai advertising telling people how to pronounce the company name is probably the worst. I think it was meant to be light hearted, but it could make people uncomfortable about owning one just because their Korean pronunciation isn't very good. People end up feeling like they have to say things like "my car's the black SUV next to the red Audi" because they feel they shouldn't say "Hi-Un-Die" any more. It then becomes much less hassle to just buy a Kia or a Toyota next time instead.....

The other recent own goal advert I think is the one for the VW Golf. "50 years in the making" or some similar words, whilst showing the current VW Golf looking especially ugly and bloated next to the earlier versions.

TV car advertising - corax

Car adverts on TV are nowhere as good as they used to be.

You're not kidding. There is nothing unique to advertise. All they can do is depict a contented driver, usually a young male with designer stubble and the perfect family driving through mountain scenery on empty roads.

One of the best I saw from the eighties was a BMW advert where they played a soundtrack using a sample of one of their straight six engines at high revs.

TV car advertising - 72 dudes

I see plenty of car adverts.

What I don't see are any technical details - just some sort of "lifestyle" with the people and the car they're in. If its a family, the odds are its a multicultural one, with bonus points to the manufacturer if they're same sex.

Sometimes I don't even see a car's interior in some of the ads!

Look at this one - the car's biggest selling feature is the stupid big tablet in the centre of the console boasting "50 apps"

www.tvadsongs.uk/renault-symbioz-advert-e-tech-ful.../

The mixed race thing seems to be de rigeur for all ads and indeed dramas - got to cater for 14% of the population.

The stupid car ad which sticks in my mind was a year or two for the Aygo. The main message seemed to be how 4 teenagers or 20 somethings could race around an urban area jigging along to s***e music

Edited by 72 dudes on 20/09/2024 at 14:36

TV car advertising - Terry W

There is little to separate one car from another - similar price, performance, economy, gadgets etc. The more you pay to go up any range, the more gizmos and higher quality kit you get. Money makes most of the difference, not the manufacturer!

Differentiating between (say) a Peugeot, Ford, Vauxhall. Toyota, Honda etc etc 5 door, 5 seat hatch is challenging. Look at the specs for a similarly priced versions to work out which has the better set of acronyms is death by alphabet to most.

So it is no surprise that selling the sizzle (lifestyle, aspiration, etc) wins over mundane and unimportant facts. In marketing it is pervasive across all products and sectors - consumer durables, breakfast cereals, clothes and fashion etc etc.

That minorities are over represented in adverts by comparison to the general population is well known, However perceptions can be misleading - live in a large city and the UK will seem very multicultural, small provincial towns and country is heavily white Anglo Saxon.

TV car advertising - De Sisti

TV car advertising - Terry W

That minorities are over represented in adverts by comparison to the general population is well known, However perceptions can be misleading - live in a large city and the UK will seem very multicultural, small provincial towns and country is heavily white Anglo Saxon.

Do you have a source for this assertion?

TV car advertising - Andrew-T

Do you have a source for this assertion?

I doubt if there is one. But I agree with Terry - I can't help feeling that most advertisers feel obliged to show what looks to me to be an atypical proportion of non-white people. But then I think that to a Londoner or West Midlander it may look quite normal ? So it may depend on what part of the UK you live in.

TV car advertising - Andrew-T

Haven't seen a TV advert of any description for well over a decade..

Ever since I had enough money to think about spending it on relatively expensive things, I have developed total immunity to any kind of ads, either printed or on TV. If I get a notion to buy a particular item, I make my own enquiries, which is easy these days with E-bay and the web !

TV car advertising - FoxyJukebox
Agreed-and if that purchase-particularly cars- is in any way technology related-the one thing that confirms that a product might be a challenge
is if I see the word Easy . This means many hours studying handbooks while head scratching

Easy to connect
Easy to adjust
3 easy steps
Easily switchable
Easily stored
Easy push buttons
Fine tune easily
Easily monitor
Set up easily
Easily chargeable

TV car advertising - alan1302
Now then-hands up anybody who has seen any adverts for petrol cars in the last few months-they’re still on forecourts, still as expensive as ever but still in demand. But why aren’t they being advertised?

Is this a serious question? Surely you know manufactueres need to seel as many EV and hybrids as they can. So why would they advertise petrol cars?

And if they are still in demand as you say then why why pay out and advertise?

TV car advertising - Steveieb

Renault must have a deal with the Times as today’s magazine features the Symbios and Alpine together with a Volvo EV with a free home power point . Bargain !

TV car advertising - barney100

They want you to buy their ev models as there are penalties for not achieving the demanded ev percentage of new sales.

TV car advertising - diddy1234

bring back Papa and Nicole adverts

TV car advertising - larrymoner

It's not just car ads, I often look at the Mrs and ask her if she's any idea what was advertised. In common with other women she obviously knows absolutely everything but even she blanks with most ads.

I think it's just a sign we're getting old.

TV car advertising - paul 1963

It's not just car ads, I often look at the Mrs and ask her if she's any idea what was advertised. In common with other women she obviously knows absolutely everything but even she blanks with most ads.

I think it's just a sign we're getting old.

What a brilliant observation! I'm exactly the same, thought it was just me....