What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCI Titanium - Charging problem - Englishbullterrier

Hi All,

My Fiesta yesterday encountered an interrmittent charging issue. I have a USB adapter in the car that has a digital battery voltage readout. I've also checked it with a DVM.

It dropped down to 12.2v, which would be the batteries standing voltage, However, occasionally it gets up to 14.3 for a mile or two, then drops out again back to 12v approx. This morning after starting it, it was at 14.2v the dropped after about a mile to 12.2v.

It's now done this 3 or 4 times but always ends up not charging.

I've been told that the ECU on this car controls the alternator telling it when to charge. So, it might be a bad connection/broken wire from the ECU to the alternator possibly ?

Any advice or experience anyone has will be greatly appeciated as a replacement alternator is about £175 + vat.

Many thanks...............ebt

Edited by Englishbullterrier on 14/09/2024 at 12:55

Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCI Titanium - Charging problem - elekie&a/c doctor
These have a smart charge system , so the voltage can vary quite considerably. I would get the battery tested first , as the monitoring system is important for the circuit to work . Do you actually have a problem? I would also check the sensor connector at negative terminal of the battery

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 14/09/2024 at 16:46

Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCI Titanium - Charging problem - edlithgow

Yesteryears explanation, on my yesteryear cars, would have been a slipping drive belt.

Latterly I realised I could "tune" the drive belt tension using the alternator output, avoiding premature alternator bearing failure.

We'd nobbut EeeCeeYoos, but we were appy...

...Appen we were appy BECAUSE we'd nobbut EeeCeeYoos