What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz GLA - Crunching Noise When Coming To Complete Stop - DannyBhoy

Hey all, thanks in advance for your time.

Have a 2017 GLA 220D 4Matic and I've got an issue (among many others with the car) that's driving me mad.

Every time I come to a complete stop, no matter how slowly or gently, I'm met with a sort of abrupt crunching/grinding noise just as the car comes to a complete stop. Best I can describe is it feels like something is clamping on under the car at the very last second before stopping and it's impossible to come to a nice smooth stop. Happens every time, whether the car is running hot or cold.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Cheers,

Danny.

Mercedes-Benz GLA - Crunching Noise When Coming To Complete Stop - Adampr

Possibly an issue with the rear differential? Alternatively, do you have an auto hold function that you could switch off?

Mercedes-Benz GLA - Crunching Noise When Coming To Complete Stop - DannyBhoy

Damn, that's what I was afraid of.

It's got a hold function that activates with a sharp tap on the brakes but I rarely use that.

Mercedes-Benz GLA - Crunching Noise When Coming To Complete Stop - Adampr

Damn, that's what I was afraid of.

It's got a hold function that activates with a sharp tap on the brakes but I rarely use that.

I wouldn't totally despair - I am only guessing based on the little I know about these cars.

You could try changing the oil in the diff and seeing if it helps.

The reason I asked about the auto hold was just pondering if it was coming on accidentally.

Mercedes-Benz GLA - Crunching Noise When Coming To Complete Stop - edlithgow

Could it be play in the suspension, perhaps as a result of/associated with corrosion? I'm thinking when you come to rest the suspension is unloaded and "recoils" a bit, with associated crunchies, though I dunno how likey this is.