VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - Justin Bannister

I´m looking to buy a second hand car, approximately 6 years old and I´ve found this VW Golf which looks in great condition generally, runs well and is at a good price from a local car dealer.

My only worry is that there is a small crack in the framework at the back left of the car (approx 1 inch) - only visible when you open the boot. Aesthetically it´s not a problem but I´m wondering if it could be a sign of structural damage. The car salesman assures me that it´s not but he does admit that it shows that the car must have had a knock in that part of the frame.

The back left panelling around the wheel is ever so slightly sticking out too (not noticable unless you are really looking for it).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - bathtub tom

The car salesman assures me

All salesmen are liars!

Walk.

VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like it’s had a cheap repair at some point. Walk away and find another one.
VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - leaseman

No responsible dealer would sell a car with such a fault unless they could give you a full explanation, which seems impossible in this case. Don't walk ......run away!

VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - badbusdriver

Golf's are not uncommon cars, leave this one well alone.

VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - madf

Bodged repairs by back street garage.

Report the garage to Trading Standards: they are selling a potential death trap.

VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - Andrew-T

No responsible dealer would sell a car with such a fault unless they could give you a full explanation, which seems impossible in this case.

I would not expect any dealer to know much about the history of the cars on their forecourt, and if they gave one I would assume it was invented. In my limited experience of buying from dealers they are unlikely to provide much more than a (possibly stamped) service record. A bundle of invoices is quite likely to have been binned.

VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - Justin Bannister

Thank you everyone for your thoughts ! I think you are all right - I´ll give this one a miss and keep looking! :)

Appreciate the help!

VOLKSWAGEN Golf Ready2Go 1.0 TSI 85kW 115CV - Should I buy a car with a visible crack? - edlithgow

"My only worry is that there is a small crack in the framework at the back left of the car (approx 1 inch) - only visible when you open the boot. "

Impressed you spotted that. I probably wouldn't have, and the salesman wont be much bothered, since the chance of the next punter spotting it would seem to be rather small.