What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1.5 Hybrid - Second-hand Honda Jazz - Lindylootoo

Interested in the above 2nd hand car on sale by a very large (multi) dealer. It's not cheap at £16K and the dealer provides a 4 yr warranty for close to £900. I've just been asking google various things to do with second-hand cars and come across this statement by google: Reliability Survey. The Jazz did well in the small car category too, finishing in seventh place out of 19 models. Every Honda comes with a three-year warranty as standard for most parts, but the hybrid system in the Jazz is covered for up to five years or 90,000 miles. I wasn't informed of a three-year warranty as standard.

The additional costs involved for a 4-year warranty, paint protection,

RFT, insurance, increase the cost by £2000.

Also - I live on the Isle of Wight which doesn't have a Honda Dealer,

so would need to buy from a mainland dealer - which increases the cost

(ferry travel) and possible complications in the future.

I'd welcome thoughts, opinions, guidance etc.

1.5 Hybrid - Second-hand Honda Jazz - skidpan

The 3 year Honda warranty is for a new car, what age is the one you are looking at?

1.5 Hybrid - Second-hand Honda Jazz - badbusdriver

My first thought is that while 7th out of 19 isn't that bad, it isn't that great either. Following on from that, you may want to have a look at another current thread re the Jazz Crosstar (the same car but with slight Crossover/SUV vibe to it), particularly the link to a Honda forum discussing problems with them.

As skidpan mentions, the Honda comes with a 3 year warranty which isn't all that generous from a manufacturer which traditionally majors on reliability. Which in turn leads me on to the Toyota Yaris, which also comes with a 3 year warranty. But, assuming dealer serviced (is there one on the IOW?) that warranty is extended a year at a time up to 10 years.

As I mentioned in the aforementioned thread, I am a fan of the Jazz in terms of its design, dimensions, cabin space and flexibility. But Honda seems to have dropped the ball re reliability, so I don't think I'd be willing to part with my own money for a (current shape) Jazz (we did have a previous shape version, brilliant car on the whole). I'd say the Yaris would be a safer bet, even if it does mean a trip to the mainland to get the service done.

1.5 Hybrid - Second-hand Honda Jazz - catsdad

Buying off the island is potentially problematic for manufacturer warranty work. Any warranty repairs will entail a return ferry cost. Also my experience of manufacturer warranties is you need to book it in to be assessed then wait several days for approval and bring the car back for repairs. Very costly for you to make two return trips. And that assumes the car is driveable.

Third party warranties may allow you to go to other dealers but often have low limits in what’s covered.

As others have said it’s probably better to buy from an IoW main dealer if buying nearly new and using manufacturer’s warranty. Even then repairs can be drawn out. For example our Suzuki Vitara had a coolant leak identified on 13 June, the dealer can’t fully assess it until 26 July and the repair, if approved, will need a further appointment. If I had to factor in ferry bookings I would feel even more frustrated.

1.5 Hybrid - Second-hand Honda Jazz - Engineer Andy

Buying off the island is potentially problematic for manufacturer warranty work. Any warranty repairs will entail a return ferry cost. Also my experience of manufacturer warranties is you need to book it in to be assessed then wait several days for approval and bring the car back for repairs. Very costly for you to make two return trips. And that assumes the car is driveable.

Third party warranties may allow you to go to other dealers but often have low limits in what’s covered.

As others have said it’s probably better to buy from an IoW main dealer if buying nearly new and using manufacturer’s warranty. Even then repairs can be drawn out. For example our Suzuki Vitara had a coolant leak identified on 13 June, the dealer can’t fully assess it until 26 July and the repair, if approved, will need a further appointment. If I had to factor in ferry bookings I would feel even more frustrated.

Plus the significant amount of time you'd need to take just to travel from home to the dealership and back and at short notice, which could be a real problem for people in some lines of work or where they have significant commitments at home and/or with family. I suspect such trips won't come cheap either.

Probably better to choose a car that has a main dealership on the island, or at least an older (and thus cheaper) car but which has been very well cared for with a full dealership service history (or at least during its warranty and the rest (documented) from a reputable indie.

1.5 Hybrid - Second-hand Honda Jazz - madf

You need a warranty which SPECIFICALLY covers the braking system. AND ALL its associated electronic systems. And with a £3k limit.

There is a flaw with it, it fails and after Honda Warranty of three years,it is NOT covered.

DO NOT BUY is my advice is you fail to get that warranty. It's a "we refuse to pay" job.

(Covered by free recalls in other markets)

Read all about it on 28 pages !

:clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=16448.0

Edited by madf on 23/07/2024 at 11:21