What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MINI Clubman D - Difficulty Rejecting Mini - William Gilmour

Bought an 'approved used mini' 16 plate, 33,000 miles on the clock last year in September. Paid over the odds for the protection of having it come from MINI and bought it outright with bank transfer so no helpful finance company.

1 month after buying and in less that 1000 miles, offside suspension spring snaps doing quite a bit of damage. MINI picked up the car and repaired the damage to the offside and told me that the nearside spring was also at high risk of failure prematurely and they want to replace it but wanted to charge me an extra £500 for this which I both couldn't afford and understood that if the spring snapped they would have to cover the damage anyway.

Over the next 9 months and with the car still under 40,000 miles all of the other suspension springs have snapped. I had to do the two rear ones myself as I needed the car urgently, but the final spring that went was the one the garage had neglected to repair initially. The car was back with MINI and they were arguing about whether this should be covered under the warranty or if they wanted to charge me for it, at which point I told them I wanted to reject the car. They told me I shouldn't make rash decisions like this and to wait until after the repair work was done before we talk about that, I was quite insistent about this but was fobbed off with a promise to look into the warranty side - at which point they very promptly repaired the car.

I'm obviously still unhappy with the car and have been going at the dealership that sold me the car over the past month trying to argue my case for rejection of the car but am now hitting a stone wall being told that 'the car was sold over 6 months ago and we have repaired all the damage'. I've opened a case with the ombudsman but I'm given to understand this is likely to take up to another 6 months before it will be resolved, during which time I am essentially accepting the car if I continue to use it. The dealership has offered to buy the car off me for nearly half what I bought it for and significantly below market value because 'obviously they need to make a profit on it still'. I can't take this to court as they stipulate that I need to have tried to go through an ADR otherwise they will look unfavourably on the case. I'm feeling very stuck and although I could probably sell the car privately and make most of my money back I firstly don't feel that comfortable selling a car I don't trust and I also feel that MINI should be the ones to take responsibility for this and bear the cost themselves.

Looking for any advice or bright ideas please, I feel like I've been banging my head against a wall - it's enraging that I tried to reject the car verbally but they're just trying to wriggle out of it.

MINI Clubman D - Difficulty Rejecting Mini - Andrew-T

I'm obviously still unhappy with the car and have been going at the dealership that sold me the car over the past month trying to argue my case for rejection of the car but am now hitting a stone wall being told that 'the car was sold over 6 months ago and we have repaired all the damage'.

I'm no expert. but AIUI your 'right to reject' expires after a certain time (6 months) and after that you are covered by the warranty only. It appears that your seller has repaired all the broken springs as asked, so the car should be OK - unless you have other reasons to dislike it ?

MINI Clubman D - Difficulty Rejecting Mini - Adampr

I'm obviously still unhappy with the car and have been going at the dealership that sold me the car over the past month trying to argue my case for rejection of the car but am now hitting a stone wall being told that 'the car was sold over 6 months ago and we have repaired all the damage'.

I'm no expert. but AIUI your 'right to reject' expires after a certain time (6 months) and after that you are covered by the warranty only. It appears that your seller has repaired all the broken springs as asked, so the car should be OK - unless you have other reasons to dislike it ?

I agree. You do still have some rights after six months, but nothing like as much as before. It sounds like the car is now fixed, so not sure what the reason to reject it is.

MINI Clubman D - Difficulty Rejecting Mini - skidpan

From the Which web site for the period after 6 months form purchase:

"You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty."

Based on that simple paragraph you have no rights to reject the car, its been repaired.

Even if you could reject it after 6 months you would only get a partial refund and there is nothing in the act that defines what this would be.

And how would you prove it was faulty when you bought it, OK the first spring broke soon after purchase but the others lasted many months. If they had all been faulty when you bought it they would not have lasted that long.

The act does not cover buyers remorse.

Edited by skidpan on 18/07/2024 at 16:57

MINI Clubman D - Difficulty Rejecting Mini - Brit_in_Germany

@skidpan, I think that is the right to reject within the six months after purchase (i.e. months 2-6 after the initial 30 day period), rather than after 6 months from purchase. If it is after 6 months, the CRA does not give you a right to reject but in some circumstances a court could agree that it is appropriate.

As an addendum, this car is about 8 years old, so well into middle age, tho it has covered a low mileage. Your story sounds as if it was built with a set of below-par springs, which your dealer may have recognised and has replaced, as he should. You cannot reasonably expect to buy an 8-year-old car (presumably at an 8-year-old price) and find it in brand-new condition - some wear and tear will have accumulated. I am wondering what would have caused all those springs to fail within a year - do you drive a lot on rough roads ?

I think I am on the side of the seller, who seems to have been very reasonable.

MINI Clubman D - Difficulty Rejecting Mini - William Gilmour

Totally agree regarding condition, would fully expect wear-and-tear to typical parts, but I've never had to replace a car spring before, let alone all four! As I understand, these will often last for the lifespan of the car. Roads around here aren't too bad - none of my local pals have had to replace springs, despite driving a lot more around here - and I'm not going on farm tracks or off road at all.

I would normally agree in terms of having the parts replaced and fixed, but I did specify with MINI that I didn't want the car returned before they repaired it. If the car was still broken, how much of a difference would that make?

In simple terms, you have owned (and presumably driven) the car for nearly a year, thereby losing your legal right to reject, and the seller has repaired faults under warranty so the car should be fully roadworthy. The seller is entitled to make you an offer to repurchase the car, but probably well below what you paid, as they would be back to square-1 with the car a year older and with a history showing a quick change of ownership. I don't think you can justifiably claim that the whole car is a disaster waiting to happen - it should be a typical example of a 2016 MINI.

It's a bullet you must bite - accept the situation, or waste time, money (and stress) arguing the position with (IMHO) not much leg to stand on. My guess is that the car was assembled with a set of faulty springs (I can't think why all 4 would fail otherwise) which were replaced under warranty because it was a fault known to the makers.

Edited by Andrew-T on 19/07/2024 at 12:25

@skidpan, I think that is the right to reject within the six months after purchase (i.e. months 2-6 after the initial 30 day period), rather than after 6 months from purchase. If it is after 6 months, the CRA does not give you a right to reject but in some circumstances a court could agree that it is appropriate.

Sorry to tell you but you are wrong.

The info I copied form Which? is correct for month 6 and longer but to avoid any doubt here is the full info for all 3 scenarios.

• 0-30 days: You can claim a full refund for goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.
  • 30 days-six months: You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund.
  • Six months or longer: You must give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace it before you can claim a partial refund, and the burden of proof is on you to prove the product is faulty.

Pretty sure that the dealer can deduct a sum for use during months 2 to 6 whereas it has to be a 100% refund between day 1 and 30.

But its all immaterial for the OP since he has no way of proving the car was faulty when he bought it before you consider all the repairs were carried out.

After 6 months you need to prove the goods (here the car) were defective at the date of purchase and the defect has not been repaired. Simply rejecting will not work. In effect, you need to go to court and have the court decide you have proved your case.

Yes, the charge for use applies to months 2-6 for cars. For other goods, from 6 months.

After 6 months you need to prove the goods (here the car) were defective at the date of purchase and the defect has not been repaired.

That is exactly what I said at the top of the post. So why keep repeating it?

As we all know the first spring broke 1 month after buying the car proving it was not broken when purchased. It may have had an airline crack but proving that without said spring is totally impossible.

But I don't know whey we are even discussing it, the repair was carried out under warranty as was the repair to the other front spring.

It was the OP's personal decision to pay for the rears.

The OP seems to think they have a right to reject. They do not. Hopefully we are both trying to show this. My point was that the issue of 'proof' is not a trivial exercise.

The OP seems to think they have a right to reject. They do not. Hopefully we are both trying to show this. My point was that the issue of 'proof' is not a trivial exercise.

I said all that in my first post.

To quote myself

"you have no rights to reject the car, its been repaired"

"And how would you prove it was faulty when you bought it, OK the first spring broke soon after purchase but the others lasted many months. If they had all been faulty when you bought it they would not have lasted that long"

Edited by skidpan on 19/07/2024 at 17:24