What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall astra h 1.8 - Water pump replacment - mjon07

I have a vauxhall astra h 07 plate 1.8 . I need to replace my water pump it's the external pump driven by the fan belt .

When I replace the pump should I put a new fan belt on?

Vauxhall astra h 1.8 - Water pump replacment - elekie&a/c doctor
The original has got to come off , so might as well fit a new one.
Vauxhall astra h 1.8 - Water pump replacment - John F

When I replace the pump should I put a new fan belt on?

Not unless you want to, or it looks worn. Modern belts last almost indefinitely as long as the pulleys they drive don't seize. The poly-V belt (and the cambelt) on our old Focus lasted the life of the car (21yrs and 162,000 miles). The fan belt on my 44yr old TR7 is original - but I do carry a spare and a spanner......(but the spare is c.40yrs old!)

Vauxhall astra h 1.8 - Water pump replacment - skidpan

Put it like this, a new belt will cost about a tenner.

If the old one breaks whilst you are out and you need recovering it will cost you far more, even more if it causes engine damage through overheating.

I accept that there is no 100% guarantee that the new one won't fail but its unlikely.

Since the same chap would be refitting the old one or fitting a new one I think we can ignore any additional risk from bad workmanship.

The poly-V belt on our old Focus lasted the life of the car (21yrs and 162,000 miles)

The poly-V belt on our 2005 Focus TDCi was badly cracked after 4 years. Against my better judgement had the garage replace it, far too much in the way on modern cars. Cost for part and fitting was just over £30 at the main dealer.

(and the cambelt)

A mechanic bought our Focus and after 12 years the cambelt broke totalling the engine.

Edited by skidpan on 18/07/2024 at 17:31

Vauxhall astra h 1.8 - Water pump replacment - catsdad

The existing belt is up to 17 years old. While you might have left it alone if you weren’t replacing the pump I wouldn’t hesitate to have a new one fitted when the pump is done. I guess its also possible that the old one has been stressed when the pump failed but others may be better qualified to comment on that.

Vauxhall astra h 1.8 - Water pump replacment - Andrew-T

It sounds as if you plan to DiY, so as no extra work will be involved the only 'extra' would be the cost of a new belt. Just make sure it is the correct one !