What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Saab 9-3 - Wiring Repair - AJK2024

Hello,

Hoping to get advice from people regarding a repair on my parents car. I have a clear opinion oon this matter but my parents are getting contradictory advice from elsewhere, so I want to seek other's opinions.

Car is a 2007 saab 9-3 2.0 litre diesel which on a few occassions has suffered a total loss of power steering. The fault has been identified as the main plug to the electric power steering pump. This plug is the main power and earth feeds with 2 heavy gauge wires. It's either burnt contacts within it or slightly corroded contacts. It's been cleaned up and now has power steering but it has failed again once, so a more permanent fix is required.

I've seen replacement plugs online which come with a length of wires. I've suggested replacing the plug with one of these which would be soldered on having cut the original plug off.

Somebody else is suggesting cutting the plug off and fitting 2 female spade connectors which would connect to the male pins on the power steering pump. The original plug has a rubber boot which is slid over the top of the plug, they seem to think if this was fitted over the top of the exposed spade connectors that they would be suffciciently protected from water ingress.

I think it really needs a proper plug and the rubber boot to stand a chance of being water tight. Water getting into the area of the pump with the pins would be bad news as it would likely short a high amapge live feed direct to an earth.

Opinions and advice welcome

Many thanks

Saab 9-3 - Wiring Repair - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s the same pump as fitted to Vauxhall models . I would get the correct plug to fit the pump . The large terminals in the connector are larger than standard, so will struggle to get the correct one to fit .
Saab 9-3 - Wiring Repair - bathtub tom

Water getting into the area of the pump with the pins would be bad news as it would likely short a high amapge live feed direct to an earth.

The current, or 'amapge' as you call it is irrelevant. It's 12V and and water would have little effect other than a small leakage current. Now corrosion's a different matter and could cause a bad connection.

Saab 9-3 - Wiring Repair - AJK2024

Thanks for pointing out the typo.

The pins on the pump are contained within a plastic part which receives the plug. This could fill up with water if it isn't sealed which would cause a short between the 2 pins which would presumably crack the fuse and cause instant failure of the power steering, or corrosion which would also cause issues.

What I'm keen to hear opinions on is if people think cutting off the plug and fitting spade connectors is likely to suffer with water ingress v cutting the plug off and soldering on a new plug.

Cheers

Saab 9-3 - Wiring Repair - edlithgow

Dunno.

Hard to even guess without seeing it, but evidently the old plug didn't prevent a problem.

You havn't said there was anything wrong with the old plug, (cracked, perished, oil-degraded, etc) and if its a design limitation, fitting a new one with the same design limitation wont fix it long term.

In general, a fitting that retains water is worse than no fitting at all.

I'd be inclined to attempt addressing this issue with goo, maybe a silicone grease variety of goo, applied in the original or either proposed repair situation, with, optionally, some creative use of RTV sealant, rubber glove fingers, a condom, etc. There are contact cleaning anti oxidant sprays too but I've had unfortunate plastic cracking experiences with them, though I suppose they might remove your problematic rubber plug for you.

I'd probably do whichever was cheapest and/or easiest first. This may not be what you would do, but then it isn't your car either.

Plus I don't like the sound of "soldering", probably because my soldering is lousy.

I prefer the sound of "crimping", though TBH my crimping is pretty lousy too.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/07/2024 at 05:24

Saab 9-3 - Wiring Repair - Andrew-T

Don't know the layout of your pump, but is it in a place where it is very likely to get wet ? And might it be possible to clean up the contacts without fitting a new plug ? Might be done with something like an emery board, or trying to tighten the female part ?

Saab 9-3 - Wiring Repair - elekie&a/c doctor
The pump sits low down at the back of the engine bay . Under load , parking and slow speed manoeuvres, it can draw 40 amps + . It’s important that the integrity of the connector is good . Use the correct type multi plug and crimp or solder to the existing wiring loom . You won’t find spade connectors the correct size .

Don't know the layout of your pump, but is it in a place where it is very likely to get wet ? And might it be possible to clean up the contacts without fitting a new plug ? Might be done with something like an emery board, or trying to tighten the female part ?

I've had some apparent success with recessed contacts by cutting a bit of beercan (folded if necessary) to a fairly tight fit and working it in and out.

Felting needles can work too, since they have cuts in them (I assume designed to catch wool fibres) that give them the effect of a very fine file. Needs care though, since they are quite brittle, perhaps because the cuts are crack initiators, and getting a broken end wedged in a spade connector could be awkward.

Bamboo toothpicks are less aggressive but can work, since bamboo is quite high in silica. I suppose you could put small cuts in the bamboo felting needle stylee, though I havn't done this and you'd have to avoid weakening it too much.

Hypodermic needles can be useful, or standard sewing needles reversed, so that the eye acts as a router. Put tape or something on the other end to avoid stabbing yourself

It could be that the wire is actually corroded internally though, in which case cleaning up the contact surfaces wont fix it.

Saab 9-3 - Wiring Repair - Andrew-T

Given the location of the problem, none of this sounds like a comfortable operation ... :-(

Given the location of the problem, none of this sounds like a comfortable operation ... :-(

Yeh, I've only had 20th century cars, and I sometimes forget how awful the access tends to be on the more recent ones. I know it, but fortunately I havn't had to feel it

The Honda Accord was fairly bad, but still not quite 21st century bad,