What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fusion - Coolant leak - rustonboy

Our trusty old Ford Fusion (2003 - 1.6 petrol engine) has been leaking coolant for a couple of years now, and we simply top it up every week or two with about 100 ml of coolant. The coolant drips from the bottom of the engine sump, but seems to be coming from higher up somewhere behind the AC compressor. I spent some time today looking for the source, taking out the right hand headlamp for better access. Unfortunately, the alternator and the AC compressor are in the way, but I think the leak must be coming from the point where the thermostat is mounted on the engine. I can feel that connections of the two hoses to the thermostat are not leaking. If am thinking this is probably beyond my capabilities as (according to Haynes) I would have to cut (and renew) the aux belts in order to remove the alternator to then access the thermostat and renew the seal (if my assumption about the source of the leak is correct). The cost of garage hours is really not an option for us at the moment. So I wondered whether it would be best to carry on as before with the topping up, or try some "leak sealing" product. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome - many thanks.

Ford Fusion - Coolant leak - elekie&a/c doctor
That’ll be the plastic thermostat housing leaking . You’re right , the alternator and ac compressor need to be removed for access. Leak sealer may work for a while, but it’s only going to delay the repair. Stretchy poly vee belts on these can be reused if they are removed carefully, without the need to cut them off.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 11/07/2024 at 17:26

Ford Fusion - Coolant leak - Adampr

If you're used to topping it up, just keep doing that. Leak sealers may not work and may cause unexpected damage.

Ford Fusion - Coolant leak - rustonboy

Many thanks to both of you for your combined wisdom and advice - really appreciated :-) I will resist the leak sealers and carry on with the topping up until the situation worsens and some sort of plan B is required. Interesting extra note: checking the brake pads this afternoon, I raised the left side of the car onto an axle stand (with the engine completely cold) and the coolant dripped off the sump at a fair old rate, at least two drops per minute. The dripping stopped after I lowered the car again. Maybe the leak is on the right side of the thermostat housing!