What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Oil consumption and regular servicing - Andrew-T

On here we often see reports of heavy oil consumption in certain engines - e.g. MINIs. I am wondering just how much the early servicing history of an engine affects its later life.

The 1991 Pug 205 (1.4 petrol) car I got at the end of 2022 from its original owner came with an almost complete servicing history. The car's handbook advises 15/40 oil or (amusingly) 10/40 'for sporty driving'. As far as I can tell it had 15/40 until about 2011, when semi/synth appeared, and after 2016 it got Millers 10/40, though I don't suppose the lady owner started to drive sportily from then on.

My point is that the engine's oil did not overstay its welcome and was regularly replaced, and after 2000 miles at very nearly 80K on the clock the level on the dipstick has dropped by about a millimetre. I guess this may indicate healthy stem seals rather than cylinder wear, but are there any comments on possible cause and effect, or is this engine just a lucky one ? No work has been done on it except in early years to replace a leaky crankshaft seal and sump gasket.

Oil consumption and regular servicing - Xileno

I suspect early servicing has very little effect, although probably impossible to prove. Far more important is the correct spec of oil and checking its level. Probably not driving it too hard from cold is sensible as well. I suspect engines that go on to burn oil are probably due to a weakness somewhere in the design - for example back in the 70s VW Golfs suffered from poor valve guides.

Oil consumption and regular servicing - Lee Power

The TU3 engine is bulletproof stone age technology, I ran one to 127K over 15 years & it didn't consume oil.

Used to run mine on 10W40 semi then full synthetic as it was free from work & changed it every 6k miles or so with a genuine filter.

Remember these also have manually adjustable tappets & number 1 cylinder is the gearbox end!

Timing belt replacement is also about as easy as it gets.

Oil consumption and regular servicing - Andrew-T

Timing belt replacement is also about as easy as it gets.

Yes - this car had its belt replaced after 20 years and 67K miles. No record of any earlier change !

Oil consumption and regular servicing - gordonbennet

Regular fresh oil of a decent grade, regular level checks, other servicing kept up to date, driven with mechanical sympathy, that's not to say necessary slowly but allowing engines to warm up reasonably gently and if turbocharged to allow to cool before shutdown.

I've tried to do this my whole motoring life, and if i owned a car with longer than sensible service intervals always gave that advice a good ignoring.

Result, haven't ever had a car that drank oil to any extent, but i'm wary of modern Diesels in particular that use no oil, how much of that oil is actually fuel from incomplete regens.

My Subaru uses a little but that appears to be a feature of the boxer design, seldom need to actually to top up before the next change is due.

By the way, sorry JohnF :-), almost never have my cars gone past 3000 miles on the same oil.

Trucks i've had use of over 5 decades, if any of them were smokey and/or oil drinkers they were always neglected examples, ie lack of oil changes and previous alleged drivers who allowed the oil to get too low, worse case was a Volvo car transporter in the 90's when i'd recently started there after being made redundant, regular driver on holiday i used his vehicle, had to put 5 gallons of oil in to bring it up to the level, the poor thing smoked like a chimney, 6 months later he's back and the engined seized with no oil in the sump, driver sacked...to be fair the servicing at that cowboy outfit was non existant, all maintenance paperwork was total fiction.

We've had several new posters here who have run their engines repeatedly almost devoid of engine oil, MINI's featured more than once, lazy owners not bothering to check until the oil pressure light came on and then complaining the engine drank oil all the time, well blow me down with a feather guvnor what did you expect...they received little sympathy here but their poor long suffering cars did.

Oil consumption and regular servicing - John F

By the way, sorry JohnF :-), almost never have my cars gone past 3000 miles on the same oil.

That's fine if you want the engine to last half a million miles but for most of us, changing every 10k miles or so should ensure 200,000 miles in a decent engine. Few have done anything like that mileage when they are sc***ped. None of our cars have ever gone beyond 12k between my oil changes. But my 1980 TR7 handbook says every 6,000 miles, and it has never gone further than that between changes - far less recently as fewer than 500 miles a year now. So far this century it has had fresh oil and a new filter in 2003, 2013 and 2019.

And, as said, all engines burn oil, increasingly with age (distance or hours). Anyone who thinks theirs doesn't, especially if it's gone round the world a couple of times, should suspect fuel dilution.

Oil consumption and regular servicing - blindspot

toyota yaris hybrid 2017. self serviced oil change every 10k using toyota 0/20 now 87k never ever had need to top up

Oil consumption and regular servicing - craig-pd130

All engines burn some oil, they have to otherwise the piston rings would rapidly score the bores resulting in a seizure. It's just that some engines are better at controlling how much oil is allowed past the pistons' oil control rings to lubricate the upper cylinder walls.

Not much oil is needed to maintain a film a couple of microns thick on the upper cylinder walls, which is why on a 'good' engine the oil level seen on the dipstick may not drop, or only drop a couple of mm between changes (I'm excluding valve stem seals / poorly-designed CCV systems as reasons for consumption here).

Keeping the rings and cylinder bores in good shape is a question of mechanical sympathy: running-in the engine well; changing oil & filter regularly; driving sympathetically; having effective air filtration at the inlet etc.

Oil consumption and regular servicing - paul 1963

All engines burn some oil, they have to otherwise the piston rings would rapidly score the bores resulting in a seizure. It's just that some engines are better at controlling how much oil is allowed past the pistons' oil control rings to lubricate the upper cylinder walls.

Not much oil is needed to maintain a film a couple of microns thick on the upper cylinder walls, which is why on a 'good' engine the oil level seen on the dipstick may not drop, or only drop a couple of mm between changes (I'm excluding valve stem seals / poorly-designed CCV systems as reasons for consumption here).

Keeping the rings and cylinder bores in good shape is a question of mechanical sympathy: running-in the engine well; changing oil & filter regularly; driving sympathetically; having effective air filtration at the inlet etc.

Can't argue with that Craig, spot on.