2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - 2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - turns over, won’t start. - Colin K

This car sat for about 5 years without being started.

I fitted a fresh battery, it started in about 8 seconds.

I drove it about 1/2 a mile and put it back in the garage. I noted that fuel gauge showed very empty. Zero needle movement.

A few days later someone else attempted to start it. It turned over but would not start.

I added about 3L of petrol today. Attempted to start it multiple times, including with jump leads as the battery got low. Turnover time was about 3 min in total.

I assume that should have been plenty to get fuel up to the injectors. I have never had to bleed a petrol system. Maybe bleeding is needed with Clio.

I have zero experience with fault diagnosis on Renault Cars.

If this was a 40 year old car with a carburettor and points I would be able to quickly diagnose the issue.

I believe this diagram is correct for a 2001 Clio, but I have no idea where to find the various components

Please suggest what I need to check to eliminate some issues and find the problem. If possible link to photos or a video so I know where to find the items to check.

2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - 2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - turns over, won’t start. - elekie&a/c doctor
Difficult to guess what’s wrong with it, but one of the most common problems is the crank sensor and wiring connection. Access is not too difficult. It sits above the gearbox, on top of the flywheel.
2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - 2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - turns over, won’t start. - blindspot

i think you need to put in a few more litres of fuel

2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - 2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - turns over, won’t start. - edlithgow

No experience with anything this new, which will have a lot of innovative extra ways not to work, but from your description, you either have a pre-existing intermittent (probably electrical/electronic) problem, or you have an issue caused by running it low or out of fuel, perhaps compounded by it sitting idle for 5 years, which might give you tar and or rust in your fuel system

(The unstated reason for this idle period may also be very relevent)

I'd start with adding fuel, and checking/backflushing your fuel filter to see if it flows free, and if any rust comes out.

I think some systems have a Schrader valve for checking fuel pressure with a guage

My experience with fuel injection is limited to minimal involvement with a couple of Perkins diesels. I cleared air from the system by cracking the pipe union next to the injectors and running until fuel leaked out. You can also listen to the injector operation with an improvised contact stethescope but that wont tell if they are injecting fuel.or what the spray pattern is.

I believe its sometimes possible to do direct inspection of the operating injectors spray and pattern outside the cylinders but havn't done this.

You have to be careful, because subcutaneous fuel injection can kill.

2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - 2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - turns over, won’t start. - sajid

Hi if it sat for a few years reckon petrol goes bad after a long period of time,

Change the filters, air, oil filter, change the fuel filter, check battery condition,

Chevk coil packs see if u getting a spark, change the spark plugs, if u got a o b d reader plug that in see what error codes

2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - 2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - turns over, won’t start. - DianaWarren

Checked it?

2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - 2001 Mk2 1.2 16v Petrol - turns over, won’t start. - edlithgow

Uh?