Asus laptop - Long Posting and Browsing Delays to this site - edlithgow

As above, with a "Waiting for Facebook" message. Last couple of days

I dont use Facebook, but I did post a link elsewhere (on Forumosa) to a video clip on a Facebook page recently.

Tried clearing the browser (Firefox) history, probably try clearing cookies with Malware Bytes next, but not optimistic

Any other suggestions

Asus laptop - Long Posting and Browsing Delays to this site - focussed

Try flushing the DNS.

Type cmd into the search box which brings up the command prompt.

Type ipconfig /flushdns after the command prompt

It only takes a second or so to act.

Might help!

www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-flush-your-dns-cache

Thanks

Did that. No change

Quite nostalgic using the (pseudo, I suppose) DOS prompt again

Malwarebytes wouldn't install, which is a bit suspicious.

Edited by edlithgow on 08/07/2024 at 01:18

Asus laptop - Long Posting and Browsing Delays to this site - Oli rag

Ed, have you tried doing a system restore to a date point before the problem occurred?

I've had to go in safe mode during boot up previously, when it wouldn't boot up far enough to get to system restore.

Asus laptop - Long Posting and Browsing Delays to this site - expat

Is it only Firefox that has slowed or does your word processor and other programs run slowly? Have you tried loading another different browser and trying that? Have you tried removing and reinstalling Firefox? Those things will tell you if it is a problem with Firefox only or a more general problem.

Download a live Linux distribution and write that to a USB then boot with that. If that runs fine it isn't a hardware problem. Not that I would expect it to be.

Back in the day Windows used to slow down over the years and need to be reloaded. That may still be the case. It is a major hassle reloading Windows. Not difficult but it takes a long time and you have to do huge downloads of security updates afterwards.

Backup all your data to a USB stick or several USB sticks if you have a lot. Find all your program disks and the system restore disk that you made when you got the laptop. (You did make one didn't you?). Once you have done all that format the disk and do a total reload. It is over fifteen years since I used Windows but that used to be a standard procedure when the machine slowed to a crawl.

Thanks

Only obvious to this site, with Firefox (how did you know I was using Firefox?). EDIT Ah, because I said so. Not a movie stylee bad-guy-reveal after all.

This site seems to have an especial vulnerability to this kind of thing, though maybe thats a good thing.

Last time it was a Russian Mafia "Cuckoo" virus which was hard to get rid of, requiring a low level re-format.

Seems to have stopped doing it though. Now its intermittantly losing my headphones from the hardware list.

If it p***es me off much more I'll just go LXLE, which I was using on my last laptop. I'm almost done with the academic ghost writing / proofreading, so dont really need WORD anymore.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/07/2024 at 05:12

If it p***es me off much more I'll just go LXLE, which I was using on my last laptop. I'm almost done with the academic ghost writing / proofreading, so dont really need WORD anymore.

I use Debian with LXDE and it gives me no trouble. LibreOffice reads and writes Word files ok so I don't need anything Microsoft at all.

Asus laptop - Long Posting and Browsing Delays to this site - Orb>>

I have a 2 year old Asus 8gb and 240 ssd and lots of websites don't like Firefox.

I find LO Writer a bit difficult to drive. This is probably mostly unfamiliarity, but perhaps also a bit of the old Unix stylee "Powerful but complicated, for people who like pain"

Insists on formatting figure captions in block capitals, for example. No idea why..Presumably one can stop it doing that, but it isn't obvious how, or why its necessary.

The LXLE operating system itself seems fine, but I havn't tried to install anything that didn't come with the standard distro.

In the bad old days doing that one broke through the thin user-friendly crust into a TAR pit of apparently endless nested dependency cycles, but maybe they've fixed that.

Edited by edlithgow on 15/07/2024 at 00:33

I find LO Writer a bit difficult to drive. This is probably mostly unfamiliarity, but perhaps also a bit of the old Unix stylee "Powerful but complicated, for people who like pain"

Insists on formatting figure captions in block capitals, for example. No idea why..Presumably one can stop it doing that, but it isn't obvious how, or why its necessary.

The LXLE operating system itself seems fine, but I havn't tried to install anything that didn't come with the standard distro.

In the bad old days doing that one broke through the thin user-friendly crust into a TAR pit of apparently endless nested dependency cycles, but maybe they've fixed that.

It sounds as if you are doing a lot more with LO than I have. My uses are fairly basic and it works fine for that.

As for the endless dependencies I have found that apt handles that well for me. Ubuntu's flatpack is supposed to be better still but I didn't like it when I tried it.

I use Debian with LXDE and it gives me no trouble. LibreOffice reads and writes Word files ok so I don't need anything Microsoft at all.

Will have to migrate it fairly soon anyway, since Win10 goes unsupported this year, and the hardware (bought used, and probably not actually very good value in retrospect) isnt Win11 compatible.

Asus laptop - Long Posting and Browsing Delays to this site - Gibbo_Wirral

Will have to migrate it fairly soon anyway, since Win10 goes unsupported this year, and the hardware (bought used, and probably not actually very good value in retrospect) isnt Win11 compatible.

You might not need to buy a new computer - there are ways to bypass the checks

I have Windows 11 on a 12 year old PC and it works much faster than Windows 10

www.tomshardware.com/how-to/bypass-windows-11-tpm-...t

Thanks. I was aware of the Microsoft official semi-workaround, but not the other tricks. Might give them a go, perhaps in a dual boot setup with LXLE or Mint.

One wonders why, if the new hardware isnt actually a requirement, they want to make it one, since they dont mostly sell hardware.

Conspiracy aside (though I have no particular objection to conspiracy theories) I suppose maybe limiting their support/compatability obligations and standardising their future development environment.

Since in practice punter level support can be non-existent, judging by the number of unresolved closed issues on their support pages, not much to lose by ignoring their hardware stipulations

Edited by edlithgow on 16/07/2024 at 06:00