What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - car insurance - barney100

Insurance last year, £368.17, this year, £598 with LV. Apparently most people are getting these sorts of rises. Just what we need in a cost of living crisis.

All - car insurance - Xileno

Hopefully with 'shopping around' you can get that to a more acceptable increase. Please report back with any findings.

I have been wondering for a while if it would be useful if we had a separate thread for car insurance renewals, same as we do for EV. Am happy to start this if people think it would be beneficial.

All - car insurance - Steveieb

Good idea to start a new thread.

But LV seem to be updating their computing model which seems to have affected long standing customers.

Still voted best for car insurance in Which and even overtaken NFU.

Hopefully with 'shopping around' you can get that to a more acceptable increase. Please report back with any findings.

I have been wondering for a while if it would be useful if we had a separate thread for car insurance renewals, same as we do for EV. Am happy to start this if people think it would be beneficial.

LV is the cheapest I can find but still £150 more than last year.

Hot topic among mates. Jag owner appalled at his increase, the is to be sold. Son in law’s Land Rover about a grand….not impressed. According to the BBC 1 in 6 cars not insured, I reckon more people will start to not bother, quite worrying if I’m right.
All - car insurance - Mr D Og

I was with Flow (a sister company of LV) and paid car insurance of £338. During the insurance year Flow were taken over by Allianz. Then as renewal approached Allianz emailed me to tell me I didn't meet their underwriting criteria so they were unwilling to insure me/my car. I was astounded - it was the same car, no claims (14 years no claims bonus), admittedly I was a year older (77 to 78 years old). I contacted them but they wouldn't budge repeating that I didn't meet their underwriting criteria so I tried the comparison websites and found no quotes under £600. In trawling these I came across Aviva Zero which offered insurance with no compulsory excess. My other insurance quotes all had £250 compulsory excess so I wondered how the premium would be effected if I increased my voluntary excess from £250 to £500. The result was a premium of £463 - a hefty increase on last year but much cheaper than any comparison site quotes. I accepted the Aviva Zero quote. The only downside I could see is that just like Flow you manage your account on-line, so no telephone help lines and claims also must be made on-line.

Edited by Mr D Og on 29/06/2024 at 17:35

All - car insurance - Andrew-T

SWMBO hasn't been hit that hard, but she always manages to talk them (LV) down a bit at renewal time. I hope you have tried that ?

All - car insurance - Terry W

Insured with LV. No changes to car, drivers, addresses etc.

Last year £284. This years renewal £315. Not worth shopping around.

All - car insurance - leef

Peugeot 3008 13 plate Auto Feb 2023 - £487.40 (1st Central)

Same car 2024 - £452.56 Feb 2024 so sligjt decrease. (Swifcover AXA)

Both with Courtesy car and protected NCD

Car above now sold.

Current Car - 2019 BMW 530e M sport Plus - £892.12 (May 2024) with Aviva

Some quotes vary wildly, Im mid 40's, 25 plus years driving, 0 points and 20+ years NCD

BMW quotes ranged from £802 to over £4k!! I don't always go the cheapest, I want to know the customer service is top notch and I'll be dealt with professionally should I ever need to claim. No sure how much the "expert" defaqto ratings mean, but i usually pick a 5 start rated one if only a few pounds more, than 2 or 3 star rated one.

Edited by leef on 28/06/2024 at 09:15

Yes, £598 to £534

All - car insurance - SLO76
Same thing here, Directline suddenly thought I’d become soft in the head and shot my renewal up by around 50%. I shopped around and brought it back down to very nearly the same as the previous years price and they earned themselves a nasty Trustpilot review that’s now been read by hundreds of potential customers along with losing me for life. They don’t use comparison sites so you have to make the effort to refill your details in their own site, I won’t bother my a*** now knowing they’re no longer even close to being competitive. Another example of the short term greed that’s damaging Britain’s economy.

I’ve an ongoing fight with British Gas over the EV tariff I signed up for in November last year also. Offer was and still is 7.9p p/kwh off-peak, they couldn’t provide me with an invoice due to “technical difficulties” for over 6mths, then when it finally turned up I’ve been charged 8.9p instead. Blatant fraud, and their website, app and help centre are all hopeless. Will switch when the cap drops next month.

Commercial property I rented out also caused years of grief from utility firms trying to rob both myself and my tenants. Last straw was when two separate electricity providers were billing the site and pestering my tenant for two bills running into the thousands. Both firms were impossible to communicate with, simply demanding payment during any communication. The firm which doesn’t supply the site according to Scottish Power Networks broke the law by breaking and entering the site to disconnect it back in December. I gave up and sold the property. It’s no wonder our high streets are in the mess they are. Every fellow business owner I’ve spoken to has similar nightmare tales about utility firms. It’s rampant capitalism gone mad.

Ditto the prices which are among the highest in the world. I’m no fan of nationalisation but energy firms badly need stamped on and renationalised to offer industry and private individuals stability instead of this bullying free for all. The French held energy rises to 4% while ours almost trebled in some cases. The Tories solution was to borrow billions in the tax payers name and hand it to these multi-billion valued companies instead of properly forcing competition. They’ve made billions from us, hammering small businesses into the ground and causing widespread fuel poverty in a supposedly wealthy nation.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/06/2024 at 09:43

You don't want to shoot yourself in the foot, SLO. I suspect many insurers (tho behind the scenes I don't think there are very many) play swings and roundabouts, so D-L may choose to become more competitive in a year or two, which you would never notice if you stick to your guns ?

All - car insurance - SLO76
They’ll be last on the list, I’ll only consider them if I’m struggling to get a sensible quote elsewhere. I was self employed for 15yrs, my family have run multiple businesses over the generations, from farms, to retail via haulage, we’ve tried a bit of everything. All have been profitable and long lived thanks to our attitude towards customer service. Ditto my experiences as a car salesman and buyer. You don’t slap your customer in the face and expect them to return. I’m not anti success, anti wealth, but I’m pig sick of these ultra rich cats hammering the ordinary people of this country. I don’t mind success but I hate flagrant greed, fraud and theft.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/06/2024 at 10:08

All - car insurance - daveyjp

Two years ago my insurance was £230, this year £450, last year £350, so 100% in two years, and thats after spending time getting quotes from every site I could find and asking a friend who is a broker,

The likes of LV Directline were bonkers at around £800.

Really interesting but which of these non mainline companies can offer the same level of service as the likes of NFU and LV.

Friends are still waiting for fire damage to be completed after twelve months . A well known supermarket home insurance company are responsible . In the end they managed to get a cash deal to complete the work themselves.

The loss assessor told them that the work would have been completed in 3 months if they had been insured with NFU.

NFU were round to the rescue of a neighbour in his eighties who left the bath running and overflowing into the downstairs. Their local office dealt initially .

Which still rate LV top for car insurance followed by NFU. Luckily I am a member of Boundless which offer 15% discount on LV and free legal protection if you buy both products.

All - car insurance - Gerry Sanderson

Been with LV for a number of years for motoring and home Insurance

Couple years ago because I suspect my age motor went up to 600.

Following a bump and my first claim, dealt with by LV excellently, in over 60 years of motoring recent renewal quote from LV to just under 1300.

I expected this as now older and loss of NCB so trawled the web. Quotes From 1600 to over 2000.

From what I learnt don't think I have been badly done to by L so they get my custom again.

dvd

NFU were round to the rescue of a neighbour in his eighties who left the bath running and overflowing into the downstairs. Their local office dealt initially.

Something very similar happened to the owner of a B&B we stayed at a few years ago - she showed us to our room and opened the door to reveal a chandelier with water dripping steadily from it after some plumbing work done earlier that day. They were covered by NFU - not surprising as the premises were a farm ....

All - car insurance - gordonbennet

DL renewal went down slightly for one car, and up by around 25/30% for the other.

At the same time Saga renewal came in for wifey and as every year they increased the premium substantially, this year they wouldn't play ball to any degree.

A quick comparison with equivalent companies the man in the street has actually heard of, followed by a pleasant and fruitful conversation with DL brought not only the Landcruiser back to only slightly more than last year, but they also offered a decent quote for the Forester as a new proposal to them.

Hence DL now have all of our insurances incl the house and this will continue so long as they are open to some dialogue.

Obviously renewed all cars there and then on the phone with the nice lady so she would get the commission.

All - car insurance - Bromptonaut

Mine went up with LV, who I'd been with for a while, after a bump as a result of which my Roomster was written off. Not actually that serious damage but need for a new steering rack rendered it uneconomical to fix.

By the following year DL were waay cheaper even than anything the Meerkats could provide.

Heard good reports initially about Flow insurance as part of LV but without the frills.

Now known as Allianz as LV are but more or less the same quote as LV

Is there any truth in the general advice to renew your insurance at 26 days before renewal ?

All - car insurance - FoxyJukebox
I think I will do that now love to get ahead and clinch options--really hate the way “existing” insurance companies delay sending out renewal invitations late citing “you need do nothing” just ring etc.
Perhaps they’re hoping customers can’t be bothered to sniff around
All - car insurance - leef

Is there any truth in the general advice to renew your insurance at 26 days before renewal ?

Yes, Martin Lewis has done all the hard work for you on this one, it varies by a few days from insurer to insurer. I think 26 days is around the sweet spot but canbe 23 days to 29 days. Anything more or less you usually pay more.

All - car insurance - daveyjp

Heard good reports initially about Flow insurance as part of LV but without the frills.

Now known as Allianz as LV are but more or less the same quote as LV

Flow were good value for me a few years ago, then I read the small print. No driving other cars cover, which is something I need.

It raises a question-what is an insurance company?
My assumption is that it’s an office filled with clerical telephone and admin “sales” staff on very high salaries paid for by ripped off insurance customers
All - car insurance - John F

It's not much of a problem for boomers, but I feel particularly sorry for 'jam' youngsters, who so often need a car to get to work. It's a disgraceful example of rip-off Britain's unproductive self-serving lego-financial services 'industry', much of which seemed so keen on Brexit.

news.stv.tv/scotland/uk-car-insurance-costs-skyroc...p

allaboutberlin.com/guides/car-cost-of-ownership-ge...y

All - car insurance - Falkirk Bairn

Car insurance came in today.

LV in 2023 £350 a hike of £120 over the previous year

Today a hike to £520 - almost 50% up on 2023.

I had already done my homework on Sunday and had 3 quotes at on-line £516, £516 and £506 all for LV as they were the cheapest bar one. Most were north of £700

Thought I would try to get my insurance down by the £17. Not a lot but better than nothing.

2 minute chat and she then said you have just paid the house insurance and took £52 off that £523 making it £471

£471 in my opinion is a lot - doubled in 2 years.

However, at £471 it is the cheapest I could find - includes DOC which is important in the odd occasion I need to move cars belonging to family and they do not put me on their policy. As a late 70s year old driver I am persona non grata.

All - car insurance - Engineer Andy

I had already done my homework on Sunday and had 3 quotes at on-line £516, £516 and £506 all for LV as they were the cheapest bar one. Most were north of £700

Thought I would try to get my insurance down by the £17. Not a lot but better than nothing.

2 minute chat and she then said you have just paid the house insurance and took £52 off that £523 making it £471

However, at £471 it is the cheapest I could find - includes DOC which is important in the odd occasion I need to move cars belonging to family and they do not put me on their policy. As a late 70s year old driver I am persona non grata.

Have you tried the 'putting a younger family member' (middle-aged son / daughter with a clean licence and claims history for the last 5 years) on the policy as a named (secondary) driver when obtaining quotes?

Seems to help many get lower quotes, and has the added advantage of having someone who can pick you up / drive the car home, etc in case of medical emergencies.

It may well be that the DOC coverage may be significantly bumping up the price, as well as your age*, possibly because such policy options are becoming more popular? In the past, PCN policy options weren't that popular, but a lot of people now use them as standard, possibly leading to similar price hikes because they have almost guaranteed business for the option.

* I'm also wondering if the effects of the Pandemic lockdown periods on driving skills and perhaps confidence has affected older drivers far more than younger ones. I recall seeing a local go the wrong way round a roundabout, get flustered when she nearly smashed into other vehicles, then gave up and drove it back home. I wonder how many others in similar circumstances weren't so lucky.

My mum effectively gave up driving due to confidence issues (she is still on my dad's policy, as now is my sister as a named additional driver) around that time (was about the same age as you), and my 75yo neighbour says they are now far less confident a driver and doesn't like driving long distances, in very busy built-up areas or at night, rather like my dad, who now won't drive at night at all, and despite only buying a 'new' car 18 months ago (the old one would've been fine), won't drive more roughly 25 miles at a time.

Unfortunately you may be caught up in that, even though you may well have a completely clean claims history going back ages.

All - car insurance - galileo

Have you tried the 'putting a younger family member' (middle-aged son / daughter with a clean licence and claims history for the last 5 years) on the policy as a named (secondary) driver when obtaining quotes?

Seems to help many get lower quotes, and has the added advantage of having someone who can pick you up / drive the car home, etc in case of medical emergencies.

At renewal I spoke to LV and removing wife from cover would have increase premium slightly, substituting 49 year old daughter would have increased premium by £250, so left cover as it was.

At renewal I spoke to LV and removing wife from cover would have increase premium slightly, substituting 49 year old daughter would have increased premium by £250, so left cover as it was.

Ouch! That's very unusual, assuming your daughter has a clean licence and no fault claims in the last 5 years.

I tried putting a 50 year old son on my policy a couple of years back. The premium was going to jump considerably.

He has a good driving record but made a claim when his car was shunted in an empty work carpark - £2,000 for new headlight and sorting out the front wing & bonnet etc etc

My wife has a licence, claim free/points free and is on the insurance.

This car was stolen while we away. LV paid out quickly and generously so maybe I shouldn't moan too much. I've updated security with a stopcock, cameras, motion sensor lights and one of those parking poles.

All - car insurance - johncyprus

This car was stolen while we away. LV paid out quickly and generously so maybe I shouldn't moan too much. I've updated security with a stopcock, cameras, motion sensor lights and one of those parking poles.

A friend has recently had a car stolen and LV were similarly very quick and generous in their settlement.

BBC watchdog last night reported that Esure customers waiting up to 4 hours to speak to a representative.

This company was set up by the previous owner of Direct Line when he sold out DL

BBC watchdog last night reported that Esure customers waiting up to 4 hours to speak to a representative.

This company was set up by the previous owner of Direct Line when he sold out DL

When I was with them for my car insurance (for around 20 years until during the Pandemic), they did have a period in the 2010s where they outsourced their customer services in part to India, but seemingly brought it fully back in-house to UK (Scottish) call centres.

I never had a problem getting through to them, though I didn't have any claims during my tenure and only needed to speak to staff regarding trying to lower next year's quotation or to amend the policy occasionally.

I'm wondering if this problem you allude to is the result of some staff working from home, given the problems observed with other organisations who are still doing that.

All - car insurance - KB.

2011 Petrol Yeti. Me and the Mrs. Full NCD. Good insurance area.

Gone up a pound. Was £226 now £227.

Company = LV.

Like to know what I am doing wrong KB? I’m with LV

Maybe my age late 70s ?

2011 Petrol Yeti. Me and the Mrs. Full NCD. Good insurance area.

Gone up a pound. Was £226 now £227.

Company = LV.

I wouldn't be surprised if the area you live / work in now makes more of a difference to the starting premium than it used to, given the large increases in fraudulent claims, crash-for-cash and criminal damage, particularly in certain urban areas.

All - car insurance - Sheffordian20

Mods, apologies if links not allowed. No doubt you will bin this if so.

I came across this a couple of days ago and it's a real eye opener. I know nothing about his guy but have signed the petition. Certainly something has to be done to investigate the car insurance con.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1G3WecMdU&t=673s

Retired.

The area in the South West is probably as acceptable toan insurer as could be imagined.

I'm 73 years old.

The little Hyundai i10 is due soon. I'll advise when the renewal arrives. It's with Saga at the moment.

All - car insurance - Lee Power

Currently paying £782 fully comp for a 2022 Toyota C-HR hybrid via Toyota motor insurance.

Male, mid 40's, vehicle kept in locked garage overnight & 20+ years NCD.

High price is due to the known theft risk - some insurance companies wont even cover certain Toyota / Lexus products due to the CAN invader theft issue.

Vehicle has additional approved security devices fitted but they don't reduce the premium.

All - car insurance - Heidfirst

my insurance has been with esure for years & was very happy, call centre was in Glasgow.

Now approaching renewal & with thoughts of a new car on the horizon I called them up to get indicative quotes for potential new car. Ended up with a very rude, Asian-sounding woman in a South African call centre. Guess what, I'm leaving ...

Retired.

The area in the South West is probably as acceptable toan insurer as could be imagined.

I'm 73 years old.

The little Hyundai i10 is due soon. I'll advise when the renewal arrives. It's with Saga at the moment.

I said earlier that the Yeti had gone up by a pound and that I would advise when the Hyundai

renewal arrived. it just did.

All the usual no claim discounts and long standing record going back years and years etc etc

Unlike Liverpool Vic (see above), Saga did increase it ... by 70%

Last year they renewed at £121 - This year they invited renewal at £203.

Made the obligatory phone call to a young lady working from home (in fact ever since she joined the company two and a half years ago, she has never worked from their office. She said her colleagues live all over the country and also in Scotland ... all working from home).

Anyway, she produced a "Loyalty" discount of £50 and I renewed at £151.

Edited by KB. on 15/08/2024 at 18:20

All - car insurance - Older'ndust

Oh my life. Reading this thread just 10 days after writing off my husbands 2013 reg Mondeo. Have only ever had 3 accidents in 49 years of driving. One as I was heading into Birmingham (on the day the riots started), stuck 3rd in line of a 4 car shunt, from which the front car driver drove off. Bus driver at bus stop on opposite side of road witnessed the accident, but did not manage to get the reg of the car that had stood on their brakes. I had got out of my car and was attending the person in the car in front of me, as he was not moving and appeared to be totally 'out of it'. Second accident a minor nudge of a work colleague's car on frozen works car park, paid her cash for a private repair. Third accident above. I am now bricking it about his insurance going forward. I had to take retirement due to ill health at the end of 2018. Just started to get my pension last October, and husband 16 months younger than me so retires in February next year. Better contact his insurance company tomorrow to check, but am fairly certain that I will have lost him his no claims, even though it was 'protected'.

All - car insurance - Ancient female in the North
LV insurance is certainly expensive; mine went up by about £200 last year, and it's gone up again, by even more. I have a long no claims history, clean licence, but I'm guilty of being over 80. And I suspect being 85 this year adds to the crime. I was told if I applied as a new customer, I'd be turned down, because they have stopped accepting over 80year olds. I looked at a comparisonn site, and there were cheaper options, with higher compulsory excess, but I'd never heard of them, so I have to bite the bullet. And I drive a Jazz, so if you're over 80, they are not at all cheap to insure.
All - car insurance - Ethan Edwards

Last year LV saved me 200 quid. Just got the renewal through, 20 quid cheaper than last year. Long NC history, clean licence over 60 etc and its a Vauxhall EV.

Very happy with that.

'Ancient female in the North' said .......

LV insurance is certainly expensive; mine went up by about £200 last year, and it's gone up again, by even more. I have a long no claims history, clean licence, but I'm guilty of being over 80. And I suspect being 85 this year adds to the crime. I was told if I applied as a new customer, I'd be turned down, because they have stopped accepting over 80year olds. I looked at a comparisonn site, and there were cheaper options, with higher compulsory excess, but I'd never heard of them, so I have to bite the bullet. And I drive a Jazz, so if you're over 80, they are not at all cheap to insure.

You started off by saying that .... LV is certainly expensive.

But then went on to concede that ......... And I drive a Jazz so if you're over 80, they are not at all cheap to insure.

You also said ..... there were cheaper options but with higher compulsory excesses.

So could it be that they're actually not necessarily "certainly more expensive" ?

After ringing (LV) recently my renewal finished up at £203 ... down from £227 last year. So it goes to prove that what applies to one set of circumstances doesn't necessarily apply to anothers and your blanket assertion above isn't entirely correct.

Edited by KB. on 07/09/2024 at 22:42

All - car insurance - FiestaOwner

'Ancient female in the North' said .......

You started off by saying that .... LV is certainly expensive.

But then went on to concede that ......... And I drive a Jazz so if you're over 80, they are not at all cheap to insure.

You also said ..... there were cheaper options but with higher compulsory excesses.

So could it be that they're actually not necessarily "certainly more expensive" ?

After ringing (LV) recently my renewal finished up at £203 ... down from £227 last year. So it goes to prove that what applies to one set of circumstances doesn't necessarily apply to anothers and your blanket assertion above isn't entirely correct.

Seems a wee bit of a harsh (or critical) response KB.

My Dad's (he's 81) renewal came in from Swinton last month. His premium had shot up (about £200 taking it to about £600). Max NCD, 5,000 miles a year, car kept in garage, good area etc). Incidentally, his insurance also rocketed last year, by around £150.

Tried phoning Swinton on consecutive days to try the "good loyal customer, can you do a wee bit better" approach. This approach has worked very well with me for various companies in the past. But on each occasion the automated system put us on a queue, only to be cut off without being able to speak with anyone (after waiting around half an hour each time).

Tried an online quote with LV= (I'm with them myself). They refused to quote "due to the age of one of the drivers". I'm in my 50's, my dad is in his 80's, so I'm sure it was his age they were referring to. I thought age was a Protected Characteristic, so don't know how they can legally discriminate in this way!

Ended up going with Aviva (via the Money Saving Expert comparison site). They came in about £425.

_______

'Ancient female in the North' said ....... looked at a comparisonn site, and there were cheaper options, with higher compulsory excess, but I'd never heard of them, so I have to bite the bullet.

I've had these lower quotes from these "no name" companies (from comparison sites) in the past, but I've no way of knowing if they're legit, or even if they'll pay out. Personally speaking, I'd be very wary of taking out insurance with a company I'd never heard of.

My dad has a six year old Golf 1.5 (130 BHP) estate, so hardly a boy racer car either.

KB, are you in your 80's? What car are you insuring? And, what is your annual mileage? I'm asking this, as the prices you are quoting don't seem to relate to the prices the majority of us are being quoted.

______

Just for openness. I have a 5 year old Ibiza. Do 18,000 miles a year. No change in circumstances. Last year Direct Line quoted £363. This year they tried to increase it to £699! (a rise of over 92%). Went with LV= who quoted £433.

Edited by FiestaOwner on 08/09/2024 at 07:28

KB, are you in your 80's? What car are you insuring? And, what is your annual mileage? I'm asking this, as the prices you are quoting don't seem to relate to the prices the majority of us are being quoted.

I'm 73.

A Yeti and an i10 auto, Both 2011 cars. Both low mileage. no claims for many years. Decent area in the South West.

I agree the prices are low. I couldn't believe I renewed the Yeti at the figure I did .... less than last year .... but I'm obviously not complaining.

I'm sure my time will come, I'm not getting younger.. My neighbour pays over £1300 to insure his Tiguan but he IS in his early eighties and has had a claim and a speeding ticket.

It’s annoying to hear all the adverts for NFU in which they say that 95 % of claims are paid out without quibble.

We all know what a good company NFU are and have local offices where you can visit to discuss problems face to face but when I asked for a quote I was told they could not compete with mainline insurers on price.

So is this insurer only used by farmers as an extension to their main business ? It all seems strange to me ! Can someone explain ?

All - car insurance - gordonbennet

It’s annoying to hear all the adverts for NFU in which they say that 95 % of claims are paid out without quibble.

We all know what a good company NFU are and have local offices where you can visit to discuss problems face to face but when I asked for a quote I was told they could not compete with mainline insurers on price.

So is this insurer only used by farmers as an extension to their main business ? It all seems strange to me ! Can someone explain ?

20 or so years ago they were very competitive noticeably so if you had a large agri type 4x4 (can't speak for Range Rovers and other luxury SUVs because they're hardly the choice of typical native rural communities), so much so that we had all our insurances with them, they were niche then and almost no one outside the rural community insured with them.

A few years later the premium increases became so much we were compelled to drop them completely, i've tried several re-quotes but they don't come anywhere near.

A local lightning strike caused much damage to electrical equipment in our home to the tune of £2000 worth, NFU behaved impeccably and it was dealt with amicably from both sides without even a visit from them, so yes as an insurer when you need them they are top rate has been my experience..

<< A local lightning strike caused much damage to electrical equipment in our home to the tune of £2000 worth, NFU behaved impeccably and it was dealt with amicably from both sides without even a visit from them, so yes as an insurer when you need them they are top rate has been my experience..>>

A few years ago we arrived at a B&B in a Gloucestershire farm, to discover that our room had suffered a major water leak above. Landlady gave us another room, and as they were a farm, NFU were on the case the next day.

Presumably as their main focus is on farmers rather than motorists, they may not mind turning down car business ?

There is a BIG difference from 73 to 80s.

I am 78 and was £234 2 years ago with LV, in 2 years it has doubled and was £471

That was the cheapest by miles - over £750 was probably the the average from" Known Insurers" but 4 figures from many.

2023 CRV, only 6K, Wife & I, neither ever had points, 23 years since last claim (3rd party paid up in full)

I wonder how long it will be before LV get rebranded to become Allianz the parent company which is now used instead of Flow insurance , the online version of LV which seems to quote exactly the same as LV!

Enjoy 15% discount on LV if you buy home and car insurance as a member of Boundless.

All - car insurance - davecooper

I have been with many of the major insurers over the years and the reason for changing has always been a big hike in premium somewhere along the way. What has always fascinated me is that I have always got a quote elsewhere much closer to what I had been paying.

The latest to fall by the wayside was Direct Line who nearly doubled my premium for the same car. This time I decided to steer away from the usual suspects and insured through my bank, the Halifax, who seemed very reasonable compared to many. There are advantages with this, already being a customer. However, I just hope they don't give me a nasty surprise in a couple of years time.

Edited by davecooper on 17/09/2024 at 20:45

All - car insurance - bathtub tom

My cost was 80% increase last year and that was after using comparison sites. I ended up with Halifax and they wanted a small increase this year. I managed to save 20% by going elsewhere.

Which means i've effectively had around a 40% increase over the last two years.

Edited by bathtub tom on 19/09/2024 at 22:32

I have been with many of the major insurers over the years and the reason for changing has always been a big hike in premium somewhere along the way. What has always fascinated me is that I have always got a quote elsewhere much closer to what I had been paying.

The latest to fall by the wayside was Direct Line who nearly doubled my premium for the same car. This time I decided to steer away from the usual suspects and insured through my bank, the Halifax, who seemed very reasonable compared to many. There are advantages with this, already being a customer. However, I just hope they don't give me a nasty surprise in a couple of years time.

The problem with insurers always has been that you only really know how good they are when you have to make a claim, particularly ones involving large sums of money and/or complex repairs where the quality of the management and repairer are very important.

All - car insurance - corax
The problem with insurers always has been that you only really know how good they are when you have to make a claim, particularly ones involving large sums of money and/or complex repairs where the quality of the management and repairer are very important.

The irony is that you take a risk choosing which insurance company that you think will be competent for the price you paid should the worst happen.

Maybe insurance can be taken out to insure yourself against a bad choice choosing insurance.

All - car insurance - davecooper

I think we all understand that the cost of cover will increase each year, just like everything else. It is the level of increase that shocks people. If you are currently paying £400 for cover and you hear that premiums are likely to increase by 20%, you mentally prepare yourself for a rise of perhaps £100 at worst. When your renewal quotes you £600, you start to ask questions.

Are you sitting down?

My son & D-i-L have just had their car insurance renewal for their Jaguar E-Pace

Full No Claims, early 50s, 6,000 per year

Last year £408

This year £307

Allianz

That’s amazing FB

Shurely shome mistake ?

Where do they live ?

Falkirk funnily enough

Understand that the company involved Alliance is the parent group for LV and what was Flow.

Is that right that Flow has been rebranded Alliance to offer a paired back service with no phone contact and most interaction carried out on line ?

All - car insurance - Terry W

Just changed car - 2018 Peugeot 308 for a 2024 Seat Ateca.

With 9 months to go on the policy, LV completely surprised me by refunding me £40 on making the change.

All is well in the world of car insurance!!

I too was taken by surprise when LV refunded me £55 after I had accepted and paid for my renewal .

I too was taken by surprise when LV refunded me £55 after I had accepted and paid for my renewal .

Occasionally you still get these 'good news' stories. I experienced much the same with my former insurer esure a few years ago. They often waived the £25 change my policy fee and once did refund me when I had a lower premium after I changed my car's wheels and tyres to a smaller rim diameter / higher profile tyre combo.

Sadly from 2019 / 2020 onwards, they kept putting their premiums and incidental costs up, so I moved provider.

What many of these insurers fail to realise is that good customer service costs very little, because they then don't need to spend money to keep existing customers by doing last minute over-the-phone 'deals' to keep you on board and word of mouth recommendations (as we see on this thread) significantly reduce the need for marketing to attract new customers.

That's how business used to be done successfully. Perhaps some of our former legendary businesses need to pay attention to that.

All - car insurance - Ethan Edwards

Just got a letter iro the Fiat500e insurance. Seems the big cuddly dog has made a whoopsie. There's an 85quid refund slothing it's way to me as we speak.

Good oh!

And the good news keeps on coming. EDF have lowered my monthly payment for the second time. See all that EV hypermiling is paying off. Interestingly it seems I'm managing to use over 72% of my leccy in the night rate five hour window. Sweeeet!

All - car insurance - skidpan

I have had 2 refunds from Aviva over the past 10 months. Seems they did a recalculation and charged us too much.

Overheads and the need to give staff a whopping pay rise on top of complex repairs and spare parts?