Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Help! This is complicated.. - Joanna319

I am a disabled lady with a 2005 Mercedes coupe that has been parked up on the road and unused since I become bedridden in November, so is a bit worse for wear.

Added to that, someone reversed into it, dented the front wing and scratched up the bumper, so it’s making a sc***ing noise when I tried to drive it. The quote to repair was over £850, so probably not worth it and I don’t want to put more money into it with the excess to pay.

With that in mind, I put in a silly offer for another at auction and won, to be delivered on Wednesday so that a Carer can take me to appointments etc.

Now I’m stuck with a few issues..

I just found out my driving licence expired a few months ago, so have applied for another which will take a few weeks to come. I let my passport lapse as my health means I cannot travel anymore so..no I.D. It wasn’t needed to buy the new(er) one.

I obviously need to move the merc on, preferably before Wednesday so I’m not doubling up on insurance and have to pay tax until I can get it registered exempt as disability car, either to sell or sc***, but it seems I need photo ID to do that.

I hadn’t involved my insurance for the merc as I didn’t want the claim to make the new policy more expensive, and am stuck as to how to fit all the pieces together without losing too much money I don’t have.

I just need an i****s guide to the best steps to take regarding getting rid of the merc, whether to inform insurance and get it written off, how to just sc*** it without ID, or what to do with it. I’m sort of resigned to having to wait for my licence, but still don’t know whether to go through insurance or not.

I don’t have any support or anyone to advise, so if you can help it would be much appreciated, thanks..

Edited by Joanna319 on 09/06/2024 at 20:56

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Help! This is complicated.. - Adampr

Put it on market place, eBay or gumtree.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Help! This is complicated.. - SLO76
Call local sc*** yards or book one online, I’ve never had one of them check any form of ID and even if they do ask show them your out of date photo licence as it is still ID, you just can’t drive with it. That’s the Merc out the way without having to deal with strangers coming to the house to view it and argue over price. It’s worth little even if it’s as roadworthy anyway.

What car did you buy at auction?

Edited by SLO76 on 10/06/2024 at 07:00

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Help! This is complicated.. - Joanna319

Thanks, will call today.

I got a 2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury 3.0 V6 with 11 months MOT, all papers & history, no faults or damage for £1,900. Bit of an impulse bid as it looks so nice and didn’t think it would reach reserve price. Seemed like a good deal, but It was worth it to me anyway not having ID or a way to go to a dealer and haggling price etc.

It’s a shame about the merc, it had £800 new parts last year with hardly any mileage put on, but I suppose just have to cut losses.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe - Help! This is complicated.. - SLO76
Not what I’d buy at this money, but I get the appeal. Good luck!