What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Quick job - mcb100
Asked if I could do a quick job last week and deliver a car.
I’m pretty sure it was the best car I’ve ever driven, and almost certainly the most expensive.
Superlatives run out when trying to describe the Rolls-Royce Spectre. Firstly, it’s electric. So existing levels of R-R refinement are turned up a notch or two. The ride quality has to be felt to be believed - the anti-roll bars disengage when travelling in a straight line, so any vertical movement of one wheel can’t influence its axle mate. As soon as the steering wheel is turned, it re-engages and corners in a remarkably spritely manner (stressing that I was driving like Miss Daisy’s driver).
I didn’t get chance to play with the infotainment much, but it’s a R-R version of BMW’s system.
The car starts at £330,000, but with options most will be at least £400,000.
Looking forward to doing the return trip in it in a couple of weeks.

Edited by mcb100 on 02/06/2024 at 14:26

Any - Quick job - Andrew-T

I hope you were wearing appropriate livery, MCB !

That roll-bar stuff sounds like electronics that you don't want to go wrong ?

Any - Quick job - mcb100
‘I hope you were wearing appropriate livery, MCB !

That roll-bar stuff sounds like electronics that you don't want to go wrong ?’

No double Windsor knot here, strictly man of the people attire…

I’d assume there’s a default position whereby as soon as the system detects a glitch it’ll revert back to a passive mode.
Any - Quick job - bathtub tom
I’d assume there’s a default position whereby as soon as the system detects a glitch it’ll revert back to a passive mode.

Yeah, right, until it goes wrong. I could afford one (theoretically), but I'll stick with my petrol/manual for now,

Any - Quick job - mcb100
What is the fascination with observing a post about a phenomenal piece of engineering and immediately wondering what’ll happen if one bit of it breaks?

Even with active anti-roll bars, the component count is still massively lower than a petrol manual.
What is the fascination with observing a post about a phenomenal piece of engineering and immediately wondering what’ll happen if one bit of it breaks? Even with active anti-roll bars, the component count is still massively lower than a petrol manual.

I wouldn't call it fascination. Perhaps tiredness of that irresistible urge to computerise almost anything in a car, sometimes replacing mechanisms which - if necessary - can be replaced quickly and cheaply with some which usually can't :-)

Any - Quick job - Adampr
What is the fascination with observing a post about a phenomenal piece of engineering and immediately wondering what’ll happen if one bit of it breaks? Even with active anti-roll bars, the component count is still massively lower than a petrol manual.

I wouldn't call it fascination. Perhaps tiredness of that irresistible urge to computerise almost anything in a car, sometimes replacing mechanisms which - if necessary - can be replaced quickly and cheaply with some which usually can't :-)

But what's the existing 'passive' mechanism for achieving the same result?

Any - Quick job - SLO76

I doubt the typical owner will be overly concerned about repair costs. I’d love a shot in one.

I doubt the typical owner will be overly concerned about repair costs. I’d love a shot in one.

The typical owner of one of these will probably assume it won't need repairing - so let's all hope it doesn't ....

Any - Quick job - FoxyJukebox
No-the typical owner will be probably be told by the RR Dealership that the car will “never need repairing”
Any - Quick job - Engineer Andy
Asked if I could do a quick job last week and deliver a car. I’m pretty sure it was the best car I’ve ever driven, and almost certainly the most expensive. Superlatives run out when trying to describe the Rolls-Royce Spectre. Firstly, it’s electric. So existing levels of R-R refinement are turned up a notch or two. The ride quality has to be felt to be believed - the anti-roll bars disengage when travelling in a straight line, so any vertical movement of one wheel can’t influence its axle mate. As soon as the steering wheel is turned, it re-engages and corners in a remarkably spritely manner (stressing that I was driving like Miss Daisy’s driver). I didn’t get chance to play with the infotainment much, but it’s a R-R version of BMW’s system.

The car starts at £330,000, but with options most will be at least £400,000. Looking forward to doing the return trip in it in a couple of weeks.

Doesn't the new owner want to keep it? ;-) If not, rather an expensive hire car or, for someone, trip? Still, you do get to enjoy it on the way back rather than some bland Eurobox hire care or whatever.

I shudder to think what it costs to insure, given it is an EV as well and must require one heck of a lot of batteries to give the car reasonable performance and range capabilities.

I'd rather buy a £50k 'weekday/holiday luxury' car, a sports car for weekends and hire a chauffeur for 5-10 years.