What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Africar - The Car for Africa - Xileno

I stumbled across this the other day and I remember seeing some of the Channel 4 documentary back in 1987.

An interesting concept that ultimately came to nothing due to financial issues.

www.watchprosite.com/automotive/does-anyone-rememb.../

Africar - The Car for Africa - Terry W

I was immediately reminded of this:

Bonhams : 1983 Hustler Wooden Chassis no. 382LVL08374

I wonder who inspired the other?

Africar - The Car for Africa - Adampr

It's classic 80s 'White Knight' stuff. Nothing particularly special about the continent of Africa that requires modular cars made of plywood. If he had set up a business exporting Peugeot 504s he would be raking it in.

Edited by Adampr on 02/06/2024 at 18:42

Africar - The Car for Africa - John F

I remember this. Having driven around 5000 miles north up through Africa from Livingstone to Algiers in the not too distant past (in an old Toyota Crown) I wrote a letter to The Times with words to the effect that it was an absurd project and that it seemed to me that the future car needs of the continent would be largely met by Toyota.

Africar - The Car for Africa - Theophilus

Completely flawed concept ... in my experience of living in East Africa anything constructed of wood (and certainly plywood) was eaten by termites in a matter of months.

Africar - The Car for Africa - Metropolis.

Did you always intend on going north? Not everyone did, but probably a better decision long term than those that went south, then south again... then across the sea.

Back to cars I agree with you, and nowadays Toyota is king although it was some time before the ubiquitous LRs, in their much simpler form, lost popularity.

Africar - The Car for Africa - SLO76
I remember thinking it was doomed at the time, why buy some flawed kit car when you can buy a used car from Europe or Japan for a fraction of the money. Many end of life cars end up exported to the third world.
Africar - The Car for Africa - edlithgow

Might have been more or less true then. It seems rather doubtful now. Used cars from Europe and Japan are now fragile semi-unrepairable electronic-packed junk.

Can you imagine an old Neo-Defender (if there will actually be such a thing} surviving in Africa?

I saw a US offroad channel a while ago that got one for review and allegedly the dealer knicked the wiring loom fitting a bullbar and they had to sc*** it.Hard to believe, but I assume if it wasn't true they'd have got their ass sued, since it got a lot of publicity, including from Cadogan and ASPW.

Moreover in the not too distant future used cars from Europe (dunno about Japan) will be electric, which are probably not suitable for Africa in general. Even SA, which has relatively well developed infrastructure has regular "load shedding" blackouts, and there are likely to be range issues.

IIRC the company involved attempted to develop its own engines (The prototypes that made the proving trip had 2CV engines) which over-ambition soaked up all the money.

Edited by edlithgow on 03/06/2024 at 17:04

Africar - The Car for Africa - Xileno

They actually used the 1.3 GS boxer engine mated to a lashed-up 2CV gearbox. Howarth (the man behind it all) wanted to move away from being dependent on other manufacturers for the drivetrain and as you say, that blew the budget. Very expensive to develop those parts, even by mid 1980s relatively low-tech specification.

I have had a fix for this in mind for a while, though it might stretch the definition of "car" a bit.

I'd need a shed. And some money.

Might have to bribe some people in the target market, legality-wise.

And sub-out safety testing to Toyota

Edited by edlithgow on 05/06/2024 at 00:54

I suppose widespread deployment of photovoltaics might make Africa compatible with imported used electric cars by the time they are in significant supply, though it must be doubtful whether they will be durable and repairable enough.

(Of course they should be, but that isn't the current bizniz model)

That would leave the "expeditionary" or "overland" market with range issues, of minor importance but still interesting.

I wonder how close we are to being able to carry a deployable photovoltaic array big enough to give indefinite range, (say on a 1 day off, one day on basis, assuming no night driving) so you could cross the Kalahari, or do the Canning Stock Route in Australia.

Havnt attempted any sums, but I guess with current technology it would be far too big to fit into the vehicle.

Africar - The Car for Africa - galileo

I suppose widespread deployment of photovoltaics might make Africa compatible with imported used electric cars by the time they are in significant supply, though it must be doubtful whether they will be durable and repairable enough.

That would leave the "expeditionary" or "overland" market with range issues, of minor importance but still interesting.

I wonder how close we are to being able to carry a deployable photovoltaic array big enough to give indefinite range, (say on a 1 day off, one day on basis, assuming no night driving) so you could cross the Kalahari, or do the Canning Stock Route in Australia.

Havn't attempted any sums, but I guess with current technology it would be far too big to fit into the vehicle.

There have been 'record' attempts to drive specially built cars with photovoltaic roofs driven substantial distances. Mind you, these were in California and/or Australia if I remember rightly.

• Distance

In December 2022, the Sunswift 7, a solar-powered car designed and built by students at UNSW Sydney, traveled 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) on a single charge in 11 hours and 52.08 seconds, averaging a speed of 84.25 kilometers per hour (52 miles per hour). This broke the record for the longest distance ever traveled by an electric vehicle on a single charge, and also reclaimed Australia's speed record.

Havn't attempted any sums, but I guess with current technology it would be far too big to fit into the vehicle.

There have been 'record' attempts to drive specially built cars with photovoltaic roofs driven substantial distances. Mind you, these were in California and/or Australia if I remember rightly.

• Distance

In December 2022, the Sunswift 7, a solar-powered car designed and built by students at UNSW Sydney, traveled 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) on a single charge in 11 hours and 52.08 seconds, averaging a speed of 84.25 kilometers per hour (52 miles per hour). This broke the record for the longest distance ever traveled by an electric vehicle on a single charge, and also reclaimed Australia's speed record.

Well, Yeees.... but not exactly production vehicles.

If thats the one I'm thinking I've seen pictures of, it was a flying-saucer-esque thing with (three?) very faired wheels, an extremely low profile, probably involving a single occupant in a semi-prone driving position, and was used on smooth tarmac road surfaces

I'm wondering what could be done with a production off-road vehicle. Self sustaining travel by onboard panels certainly wont be currently possible and probably never will be, but I suppose even now with an array of panels deployed when stationary you could eventually re-charge.It'd just be a question of how long you were prepared, and able, to wait.

Something like the Canning Stock Route, which I believe has wells at fairly regular intervals which could keep you alive while you waited, might even be possible now.

Guiness Book entry, anyone?