What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Clio - consumer rights - New owner
Hi,

I bought a brand new Clio hybrid in January. It has some electrical and braking issues although no breakdowns yet. I have contacted the dealer several times to book an appointment but they are ignoring my emails and phone calls.

I am concerned that the 6 month statutory rights period will be finishing soon and the dealer is just wasting time. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, any faults appearing within the first 6 months are assumed to be present also at the time of purchase. A customer doesn’t have to prove it. However, after 6 months, the onus is with the customer to prove.

I would like to know if I would still have consumer rights equivalent to the first 6 months even after the 6 months in the above scenario. From my side, the faults happened in first 6 months and I informed the dealer to investigate it but the dealer didn’t intentionally act promptly and ignored all communication.

Edited by New owner on 01/06/2024 at 12:53

Renault Clio - consumer rights - badbusdriver

My first question is for you to clarify what you mean by ignoring phone calls?. Presumably in the case of emails, this is simply them not responding, but I'm not sure how they could be ignoring your phone calls unless they are actually not answering?

Second question is whether or not you want to keep the car or reject it?. If you like the car otherwise and want to keep it, the 6 month period you mention is irrelevant because it is the new car warranty which covers you for faults. I believe this would be 3 years and 60k miles in the case of the Clio.

If you actually want to reject the car (which is where the 6 month thing is applicable) then you are leaving things a little late!. But here, my first question is whether the car is leased?. If so, the car doesn't actually belong to you, so you'd have to go through the leasing company explaining to them why. If you own the car, then I'd suggest getting in touch with Renault UK customer service (rather than the dealer), explain the situation and see what they say. If they are no help either and you definitely want to reject the car, going by what I've read on other threads, you need to draught a letter explaining that you want to reject the car and why. but crucially, send it by registered post so as someone has to sign that they have received it.

Another thought is that this post might be better posted in the "legal matters" section of the forum, where more knowledgable folk might be better able to point you in the right direction?

I am curious about the nature of these electrical and braking issues though, what exactly is happening?

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/06/2024 at 16:00

Dealer not answering phone calls even after several attempts which means ignoring. Contacted Renault UK customer service and they say they have asked the dealer to contact me but I never get a call. I haven’t tried just walking in to the dealer and talk to them directly about what’s going on. That would be last option as I wanted to book a planned appointment with a courtesy car.

I am not planning to reject immediately. I just want the issues I am experiencing to be resolved asap before they lead to other major fault after the 6 month period has expired and then I won’t have the option to reject. That’s why I was asking the specific question on what happens after 6 months as it is dealer negligence to deal with the current faults which can lead to other major faults. And then the car in stuck in garage for months waiting for parts and might not even have a courtesy car as seen that happening with few customers before.

Electrical issues - often get 12V battery back-up mode on the instrument cluster, radio randomly switches on its own while driving even when it was turned off in last trip. Renault UK multimedia advised it could be related to onboard wiring and should see the dealer.

Braking issue- rubbing noise when braking at low speed to come to a complete stop

Emailed about above to the dealer but no response. Emailed to the Renault UK customer service but they are not able to enforce any actions on their dealer.

Car purchased on 2 year PCP. I may go for part-exchange closer to 2 year. So important to have a car with good market value and something which has no faults which depreciates the value.

Edited by New owner on 01/06/2024 at 19:51

Renault Clio - consumer rights - Adampr

I'm also a little confused about how the dealer can ignore you. Don't you just phone the service department and book it in? You aren't trying to deal with the sales person are you?

I have called a designated service advisor for Renault in the service department perviously and calling/emailing the same person from last 2 weeks. I have experienced that others are rude and always give an appointment 2 months in future on one pretext or another and never have a courtesy car. My dealer is a franchised dealer for several manufacturers and the service department looks several makes as well. So I avoid calling the generic number as it seems they have been trained to scare away customers or treat faults at the same level of urgency as planned annual service which can wait 2 months. I have also tried to book an appointment through the Renault app. Just got an email that the service centre will contact on next business day but they never did.

Seems I have to just drop by at the dealer sales manager. I am concerned it could result in some arguments as I just frustrated by their pathetic aftersales service. There is no customer service at the dealer.

Edited by New owner on 01/06/2024 at 22:08

I haven’t tried just walking in to the dealer and talk to them directly about what’s going on.

Personally, I'd have actually gone into the dealer before now, especially with the impending 6 month rejection date. Re phone calls, you could try using someone else's phone.

That’s why I was asking the specific question on what happens after 6 months as it is dealer negligence to deal with the current faults which can lead to other major faults.

I haven't looked into it In detail, but as far as I can see it is possible to reject the car after the 6 months, but it does become more tricky. Possibly not in your case assuming you have proof of emails sent, phone calls being ignored, that sort of thing.

Electrical issues - often get 12V battery back-up mode on the instrument cluster, radio randomly switches on its own while driving even when it was turned off in last trip. Renault UK multimedia advised it could be related to onboard wiring and should see the dealer.

Not sure about this, sounds like some electrical gremlins?. But I am wondering if the radio might switch on to give traffic reports near you?. I'd look for owners reviews to find out if others have suffered similar issues and may have found some kind of reset you can do yourself?

Braking issue- rubbing noise when braking at low speed to come to a complete stop

I'd be fairly confident this will be, if not "normal", a result of it being a hybrid. Much like an EV, a hybrid will recuperates energy back into the battery through the car slowing down. But this regeneration won't slow the car to a complete stop (though some EV's will), the actual brakes will bring the car to a stop. Some cars merge regen and brakes pretty well seamlessly, but most will at least feel different as the brakes take over. Not sure about the noise, but because (assuming you don't drive hard) the brakes won't be getting an awful lot of use, this could result in the disc surface not being kept as smooth as on a car which only uses its brakes to slow down. Which in turn could result in a rough grating/rubbing noise similar to what you'd get in any car if sat unused for a while. I've worked in garages in the past and had to deal with this many times(!) and so would suggest getting the car up to speed (50+mph) on a quiet stretch of road and (with nothing behind you) brake very hard to a standstill. Do this at least twice and then try slowing to a stop as you would normally to see if the rubbing noise is still there. If the rubbing is just as a result of a lack of use from the brakes, this should sort it, at least temporarily. Though it clearly isn't ideal if you have to do it on a regular basis.

Car purchased on 2 year PCP. I may go for part-exchange closer to 2 year. So important to have a car with good market value and something which has no faults which depreciates the value.

Not sure on the difference between lease and PCP, do you actually own the car with a PCP?. But try what I suggested about the brakes and if that works, all you are looking at is a fairly minor glitch in the infotainment.

Another possible avenue is that some motoring magazines have a legal team who take on problems like this on behalf of car owners. What Car is probably one, possibly Auto Express too. Maybe also a consumer publication like Which?

If you mean surface rust is causing the brake noise, I have tried doing what you suggested to brake hard twice from 60 mph once but it didn’t solve the noise. It has been there for a month now. The outer surface of discs look clean. Can’t say if it is the inner surface which has rust as not visible without taking the wheel off.

What do car magazines actually do for customers? I mean why would their legal team help customers on consumer rights issues for free?
Renault Clio - consumer rights - bathtub tom

Your previous posts indicate you worry a lot? Perhaps the dealer's got you down as a time waster?

Have you read the owner's manual to see if these 'problems' are normal?

Owners manual is very basic. It doesn’t go into details like this. Well I have sent pictures of some of the issues to the dealer. Some people worry more some less. It doesn’t change the fact that there are glitches or faults whatever you call them. For the dealer I may be time waster but for me a new car is a big expense and people expect reliability from the new car. Renault Clio hybrid is very new in the UK market. I have only seen one more on the road in last 4 months. So a customer doesn’t know what is normal and what is abnormal as not many others to share notes with. This can make some customers more anxious than others.

Edited by New owner on 01/06/2024 at 22:52

Renault Clio - consumer rights - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks to me that you have bought the wrong car .Something less complicated would have been a better purchase.

If a car has a glitch or fault, it doesn’t matter if complex hybrid/EV or simple ICE car.

Edited by New owner on 01/06/2024 at 23:38

If a car has a glitch or fault, it doesn’t matter if complex hybrid/EV or simple ICE car.

Well yes and no, it really depends on how you view and/or tolerate imperfections in a new car. It sounds like you have very high expectations and would be very intolerant of faults. Whether this is right or wrong is perhaps a separate issue, but I think your expectations are maybe too high, certainly when it comes to a maker like Renault. It doesn't take much research to learn that they don't exactly cover themselves in glory when it comes to reliability and customer service. And while they aren't the worst (step forward Land Rover/Range Rover), they are a long way from the best. On top of this, the Clio E Tech is (I think) their first attempt at a self charge hybrid, a fairly complex type of drivetrain merging electric and ICE propulsion along with two separate means of slowing the car down.

So the two viewpoints I see are, firstly that a simpler car would be a better choice for someone with a low tolerance of faults/glitches/niggles because there is less to go wrong. Secondly is that you should have done your homework when it comes to reliability and/or customer service, especially so when buying the first example of a complex car means you are effectively being a guinea pig.

Toyota are generally regarded as making the most reliable cars in the world and have been making self charge hybrids for 27 years now. But while very very reliable under most circumstances, there are issues with batteries going flat if unused for longer periods. So if a manufacturer like Toyota, with all that experience behind them, are still having problems under certain circumstances, it is beyond me why anyone would expect Renault to nail it first time!.

IMO what you need to do is get out of that car as soon as is practical or possible to do so and get into something simpler and/or more reliable*. Also take it as a lesson to do your research when it comes to buying a car. By that I don't just mean whether the car itself is likely to be reliable, but also looking into whether the manufacturers customer service in general is good or bad. Also looking into the actual dealer itself, because they can make or break an owners experience. To that end I remember reading about the then new (to the UK) JD Power survey on customer satisfaction when it comes to cars. One thing struck me was that the reliability of the car itself wasn't (up to a point obviously) as important as how the dealer dealt with any issues.

* I'd suggest maybe looking at the new Suzuki Swift. This is a MHEV (mild hybrid, so wont run on electric power alone), but they are very efficient. I watched a recent What Car video review of a Swift vs a new MG3 HEV (self charge hybrid, like your Clio) and the Swift recorded higher MPG both in town (which I was very surprised at) and on the open road.

The other obvious option is the Toyota Yaris. If serviced within the dealer network, Toyota will extend the warranty up to 10 years (a year at a time once the standard warranty runs out). There is also a Mazda badged doppelgänger, but not sure if that has similar arrangements re the warranty, probably not.

What do car magazines actually do for customers? I mean why would their legal team help customers on consumer rights issues for free?

Basically it is about publicity. I'm not suggesting that they will actually go to court on your behalf (certainly not for free). But if a manufacturer or large dealer group hear that a popular publication like What Car has got involved with your case, it is often enough to get something done simply to avoid negative publicity. And on the other side, if they successfully help a car owner resolve their issues, there is a good chance said car owner will become a lifetime subscriber!. Not saying they will definitely help if you fee you have a case, but cant hurt to try?

Renault Clio - consumer rights - Xileno

Forum member 'martin.mc' runs a Clio hybrid, if they see your post they may be able to comment on some of the points you raise. Otherwise you could try a manufacturer-specific forum such as renaultforums. I've just checked and there are a few Clio hybrid posts.

If you are going to start worrying when anything doesn't seem 'right' with this car then I tend to agree with some of the previous posts. Maybe it's time to change it.

Thanks for the feedback. I shortlisted between Yaris and Clio. Went for Clio because lesser price and 0% PCP. Annual service pricing was less as well. Thought what could possibly go wrong in a new Renault car in 2 year timeframe and it is cheaper to buy and maintain. Dealer had a score of 4.7 on Trustpilot. I did a fair amount of research and wasn’t a rushed decision. Now I wonder how they got that kind of score as most car manufacturers are not even passing 2.0 so how can a product seller get nearly perfect score compared to the product manufacturer. Something fishy going there.

I agree a dealer aftersales support can be a big differentiator. I think Renault also does little to educate the EV/HEV customers. Tesla and Toyota have links/forums on their websites discussing all the new noises one can hear in EV/HEV and are normal. Renault is not there yet. I believe Renault business model is highly franchise dependent unlike Tesla and Toyota who also sell directly to customers through company website so they also invest in educating customers to save their aftersales time.

Edited by New owner on 02/06/2024 at 13:34

Renault Clio - consumer rights - Andrew-T

<< Not sure about the noise, but because ... the brakes won't be getting an awful lot of use, this could result in the disc surface not being kept as smooth as on a car which only uses its brakes to slow down. >>

Does no-one slow down on the gears any more ? Yesterday I was doing 60 in my 205 and arrived at the top of a gentle uphill exit lane in 2nd gear without using the brakes, ready to join the roundabout. OK, the hill helped, but so did the gears !

Renault Clio - consumer rights - galileo

<< Not sure about the noise, but because ... the brakes won't be getting an awful lot of use, this could result in the disc surface not being kept as smooth as on a car which only uses its brakes to slow down. >>

Does no-one slow down on the gears any more ? Yesterday I was doing 60 in my 205 and arrived at the top of a gentle uphill exit lane in 2nd gear without using the brakes, ready to join the roundabout. OK, the hill helped, but so did the gears !

Brought up on drum braked cars in the hilly Pennines, I still use gears, but everyday I follow cars riding the brakes all the way down long gradients.

Brake pads are cheap, I suppose, their choice. I have never worn a gearbox or transmission out, my two automatic cars had 'low ratio hold' which helped control descent speeds.

Renault Clio - consumer rights - Adampr

About 20/30 years ago, new drivers were widely advised against engine braking because it was seen as a waste of fuel. Modern engines don't inject fuel when it's not needed, but that seemed to pass by the people issuing the advice.

Renault Clio - consumer rights - Andrew-T

<< About 20/30 years ago, new drivers were widely advised against engine braking because it was seen as a waste of fuel. Modern engines don't inject fuel when it's not needed, but that seemed to pass by the people issuing the advice. >>

I don't see how that argument holds much water. Whether using engine braking or not, the 'throttle' will (should) be closed, so little fuel will be used in either case ?

And I might add that in over 60 years driving, none of my cars has needed any work on its clutch - and all have been second-hand, so I know little about their previous owners' habits.

Renault Clio - consumer rights - up north

My son is a mechanic and works with 6 other mechanics who have altogether 150 years experience in dealerships. Despite all that they've all missed things buying secondhand cars and a few disasters on the way with purchases including new. If readers knew what goes on in most dealerships they'd be very nervous even buying a new car. You can go from 3 years Kwik Fit experience and no apprenticeship or other experience straight into most dealerships servicing new cars these days. Anyway, new cars cost a lot of money and if you have concerns then your dealership has to address them. Go in with a friend as witness and ask to speak to the Service Manager and then politely give him a letter in writing what you are concerned about and ask for a response from him in writing. That way they know they are obligated to do something rather than ignore you as it wouldn't look good if there is a fault.