VW POLO 2023 - Is it right that I pay? - Jayne Nelly
Hi, im looking for some advice.

My VW Polo 23 plate sprung a leak in the radiator a few days ago, quite substantially.
I phoned VW to see how soon I could take it in to be repaired and was told the earliest appointment they had was on the 17th June however if I used the VW assistant programme, I could get it in sooner which I did and it was taken in that day.

Fast forward 4 days and they tell me it was due to a manufacturing error because a bung wasn’t tightened enough on the radiator before it was released, my issue is - I’d not long filled my own car up with fuel however having had a curtesy car for 4 days, is it right that I should have to cover the cost of refuelling it if my own car had an issue through no fault of my own?

I could understand if I was the one to cause the issue however it’s only 7 months old (thankfully under warranty) and while I’m extremely grateful that I could be provided with a replacement, it’s also left me out of pocket for the fact I’ve had to now refuel a second car.

Is this something I should ask about or do I just leave it and refuel the curtesy car?

Thank you
VW POLO 2023 - Is it right that I pay? - leaseman

It is unfortunate that you re-fuelled just before the incident, but fuel used in a courtesy car for your own benefit is your responsibility.

When your own car is returned to you, it should still have the fuel in it, so there is no material loss to you. So I doubt that there is any case for you to demand recompense. Just make sure you only re-fuel the courtesy car on a piece-meal basis and return it with minimal amount left in the tank.

Hi,

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately I have to return the curtesy car full so I’m looking at the cost of atleast half a tank of fuel. Sod’s Law :(

Edited by Jayne Nelly on 17/05/2024 at 05:11

VW POLO 2023 - Is it right that I pay? - leaseman

Assuming the courtesy car was fully fuelled when you received it, that seems fair. If not, then return it with a similar level that it had on collection, and explain your action upon return.

VW POLO 2023 - Is it right that I pay? - badbusdriver

Assuming the courtesy car was fully fuelled when you received it, that seems fair. If not, then return it with a similar level that it had on collection, and explain your action upon return.

Plus, presumably your own car will still have that fuel in it when it is returned, so its not like you've lost it!.

It is common practice for a loan car or hire car to be returned with the same fuel level as when you received it, so just do as leaseman says.

Thank you both!
VW POLO 2023 - Is it right that I pay? - Andrew-T
I have to return the curtesy car full so I’m looking at the cost of atleast half a tank of fuel. Sod’s Law :(

Seems fair to me - provided you return the loan car refilled to the level it had when you got it, you have simply bought the fuel you would have put in your own car otherwise ?

VW POLO 2023 - Is it right that I pay? - mcb100
The only way you’re in any way out of pocket is if the loan car has significantly worse fuel consumption than your car.
VW POLO 2023 - Is it right that I pay? - primus 1

Whenever I’ve ever had a courtesy car I’ve always tried to keep it topped up with the minimum cost, usually a tenner at a time, I also feel the need to explain to the cashier that it is a loan car and it’s going back soon to mitigate the condescending looks I receive, lol, I return it with whatever fuel was in it when I picked it up..

VW POLO 2023 - Is it right that I pay? - Calum38

If the courtesy car was full when you got it, it's fair to return it full since your own car still has its fuel.