What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Help choosing a new Car - Gabe

Looking for some new wheels :)

I have a budget of around 30k and want the following:

- Suitable for 2 adults and 1 kid

- Daily commute of 20 miles (mostly stuck in traffic) with weekend trips

- Fuel efficiency

- Something with a quality feel inside

- NOT Honda (extremely expensive where I live)

- Hatchback or small SUV

- Reliable

- No charging facility

Any suggestions?

Edited by Gabe on 16/12/2023 at 11:10

Help choosing a new Car - Engineer Andy

Strange that you don't appear to mind spending a LOT of money - £30k - on buying a new car but are concerned about paying extra to maintain a Honda over other makes, when it's highly likely that an German car with a 'premium feel' will likely be at least as expensive or more so to look after.

The difference (assuming whatever you bought was equally reliable - which it won't be, at least over the longer term) would likely only be £100 - £150pa on servicing over cheaper brands if done at a main dealer.

I'm not saying go for a Honda - especially if you're not keen on them for other reasons (having a poor quality local dealer would be one), but you need to consider the overall ownership experience and cost over the time you'll own the car, not just the annual cost, especially when factoring in how much you pay for the car, depreciation, insurance, etc.

Questions:

1. Approx. performance requirements.

2. Do you prefer a comfortable ride over handling?

Whilst better performing/handling cars are more expensive to buy and insure, they also experience (to many) 'hidden' extra costs because, for example, they are fitted with larger, low profile tyres which are more susceptible to damage, wear quicker and cost a lot more than higher profile tyres. Similarly with the bigger alloy wheels.

A few cars come with 'lux' variants but which can be specced with reasonable profile tyres, but a lot less than 15-20 years ago.

As a result, the suspension takes more of the strain, which also wears more quickly and thus costs more to maintain over the ownership period.

3. Boot space and (heavy) load lugging requirements.

4. Do you have any aversion to diesels or live near an are you need to regularly drive into that may ban diesels (even Euro 6 ones) within the likely ownership period?

5. You approx age and are there any factors that may seriously jack up the price of insurance for you - location (roughly - you don't have to be exact), job type, recent-ish fault claims history, etc.

Insurance premiums have been going up a LOT recently, more EVs than ordinary cars, but there's a reasonable possibility that your next premium (even on your existing car) might go up as much as 50%. A brand new or nearly new car costing £30k could make your insurance cost double, maybe more, in the current inflationary climate.

6. How long are you likely to keep the car. This will impact on the ownership costs, given the other factors.

Help choosing a new Car - alan1302

Strange that you don't appear to mind spending a LOT of money - £30k - on buying a new car but are concerned about paying extra to maintain a Honda over other makes, when it's highly likely that an German car with a 'premium feel' will likely be at least as expensive or more so to look after.

Where did it say they mention the cost of maintaining a Honda? They said Honda cars were very expensive where they are, so nothing about maintenance.

Help choosing a new Car - Adampr

New or used? Whatever it is, I'd probably go for a hybrid.

Help choosing a new Car - bathtub tom

I'd suggest Yaris or Corolla. Their hybrid engine/gearbox seems to be well proven down the years. I was surprised to find out the KIA Niro hybrid uses a sequential gearbox (shudder).

Help choosing a new Car - Adampr

I'd suggest Yaris or Corolla. Their hybrid engine/gearbox seems to be well proven down the years. I was surprised to find out the KIA Niro hybrid uses a sequential gearbox (shudder).

It's a DCT.

Help choosing a new Car - badbusdriver

The OP has £30k to spend and wants a hatchback or small SUV able to deal with two adults, one child and not that many miles (so pretty much anything beyond a Smart Fortwo). There is a whole raft of brand new small SUV's all available new within the OP's budget, so I'm not sure how much help is actually needed. Go and try what you like the look of (assuming relevant dealer not too far away).

However, if, "quality feel inside" is code for, "I want an Audi, Merc or BMW", then the OP may have to settle for something nearly new, from this year or last.

Help choosing a new Car - badbusdriver

There is a whole raft of brand new small SUV's all available new within the OP's budget,

Oh, and that does include the Honda Hr-V from circa £27k.

OP's comments on Honda prices near them is baffling. Are they suggesting local Honda dealers are charging more for a new car than Honda dealers elsewhere?

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/12/2023 at 06:47

Help choosing a new Car - skidpan

OP's comments on Honda prices near them is baffling.

Not to me. the OP says 30K, they do not say £'s, it could be any currency.

Clear they are not in the UK.

Help choosing a new Car - Xileno

I also read it that they're not in the UK. But clarification would be useful as some models that might be suggested may not be available in their market.

Help choosing a new Car - alan1302

Not many options for where they could be from though based on them using miles...and unlikely the USA as Hondas would be competitively priced there.

Not necessarily - they might've just been using their mobile phone and used txt shorthand rather than bothered to put a £ sign before the 30k. It will make a big difference to know where they do hail from, given how the cost of running (especially maintaining) cars varies a lot.

Where did it say they mention the cost of maintaining a Honda? They said Honda cars were very expensive where they are, so nothing about maintenance.

Presumably when you're spending £30k, you are likely not exactly poor, so why say no to Hondas, given they aren't that different running costs-wise to other comparative Japanese brands? Hondas certainly aren't any more expensive on fuel, and again not that different on insurance, aside from perhaps a Type R.

My point was that they may as well spend £20k, save £10k and put that towards running the car - maintenance, etc. If the Op doesn't like Hondas because the local dealership is bad (including charging rip off prices for work that isn't needed), then that's a good reason not to buy one if there's no other dealerships within a reasonable distance they could use.