What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
negotiating - Honda jazzer

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask your thoughts and tips on negotiating a price at a dealer. I've seen a car I really like but its IMHO above the market rate compared to other dealers!

any tips and thoughts would be greatly appreciated , thank you :)

negotiating - Adampr

Have you test driven it? No point falling in love if you've never tried it.

Anyway, I would go with "I really like the car but it seems to be above the market rate compared to other dealers". They will probably wonder (as do I) why you don't just go to other dealers, so probably embellish the statement with the reason for that.

They will ask you what you think it's worth. Tell them. If they say no, say thank you, give them your contact details and leave.

negotiating - Andrew-T

The whole situation depends on whether you hope to part-exchange (which you don't tell us). If you don't, you can make an offer below the screen price. If you do, you will be haggling with each other, with you in the weaker position. As I understand it, it is a seller's market just now, with used cars in short supply ?

negotiating - gordonbennet

If you must buy now and the dealer doesn't want to budge go find one somewhere else, assuming its a common model, if its an unusual or rare car then you might have to wait things out, if the dealer still has it in the depths of winter he might be more inclined to play.

negotiating - FoxyJukebox
Yes indeed-if you are part exchanging-a conversation around “£price to change” always helps -especially if the assistant you’re talking to says “I’ll have a word with my manager”
negotiating - John F

It helps to like big thirsty cars that are difficult to sell, e.g. a traded in 4yr old Audi A6 2.8 with nearly 80,000 on the clock and due for a major service (including cambelt;-) which I bought in 2003. It had been on the forecourt for a bit so I made an offer well below the asking price, which was declined. It also helps to play the waiting game which is risky as you might lose the car. A few days later the phone rang ...'are you still interested in the car,sir?'............

negotiating - bathtub tom

I quite fancied a car at a local dealer. Pointed out it was about £2K overpriced compared to others elsewhere, so I went elsewhere.

negotiating - Andrew-T

I quite fancied a car at a local dealer. Pointed out it was about £2K overpriced compared to others elsewhere, so I went elsewhere.

It quite likely depends on what part of the country you are in, and maybe on how far you are prepared to travel to save money (tho that may have a downside too). Prices of used cars can vary regionally quite a lot.

negotiating - catsdad

Increasingly car prices in dealers are set centrally in the group and local salesmen have limited scope to move. I noticed in my recent research when looking for a Vitara, that prices are generally within a narrow range probably driven by the visibility buyers now have online of asking prices. The days of big discounts have gone.

There may be some movement on trade ins but again my limited (but recent) experience is that you will struggle to get more from the dealer than whatever the online buying sites offer.

in my case I only managed to reduce the cost to change by £200 over their opening offer. Maybe I’m losing my touch.

thanks for your replies guys,

i haven't test driven it yet, yes I can part exchange, my car has a couple of dents so I know they will whack me for those :( do you reckon its a good idea to part exchange, i always thought they don't give you a good price

its priced slightly higher than other dealers by about £500 and has more mileage by about 25k than all the other dealers

lol at big thirsty cars, this one is a honda jazz automatic newer model mine is currently a manual 2009

i like the idea of maybe waiting until January and if its still there making a move , i doubt anyone is in car buying mood in January post xmas

Edited by Honda jazzer on 27/11/2023 at 19:14

negotiating - Andrew-T

i like the idea of maybe waiting until January and if its still there making a move , i doubt anyone is in car buying mood in January post xmas

Traditionally December was a good time to buy as most people were spending on other things, not at traders', who were glad of a sale (also a good time to buy a convertible ...). If you managed to sell your car privately that could save the trader's profit, but by the token above, it's a poor time for sellers ....

negotiating - madf

Jazz autos are very popular, (OAPs etc ).

I know: I have one:-)

negotiating - movilogo

If dealer thinks they can sell it to someone else at higher price, they won't reduce price.

If you think you can get it cheaper from elsewhere you won't pay asking price.

So everything depends on what other options buyers and sellers have. This is pretty much true for all negotiations.

very good point !