Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - catsdad

We’ve decided the 2012 Mazda 3 has to go. It’s never actually failed to get us home but it’s proved to be an expensive second car to run. The latest bill was last week for a service, MOT and replacement of a badly rusting rear suspension member. £560, Jeez. But needed the suspension to get through the MOT so no option.

This brought its four routine services and repair costs to about £2.6k in four years and only 14k miles. It’s had that suspension member, bushes, brakes (front discs and a calliper), rusty subframe treated, wheel bearing and other bits and pieces. Not much else to go wrong you’d think but it’s had its chance and with our mileage stepping up we need a newer car.

Depreciation has been a bigger factor than I hoped,. We paid £3.8k for it and trade in was £2k. Both figures aligned with online pricing tools.

So we pick up a 2020 1.4 Vitara SZ-T on Saturday. Hopefully we will enjoy it like other forum members seem to.

Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - daveyK_UK
Fantastic choice, all the best with your future motoring
Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - bazza

I bought a 69 reg Vitara 1 4 SZT in January this year to replace my 2012 Civic that had developed the oil consumption problem. I bought it because we fancied something fairly straightforward, minimal gizmos, and slightly raised ride height as the Civic often grounded out and we're not getting any younger. It hasn't disappointed, it's become one of my favourite cars. Our overall average mpg is over 50mpg, more on long runs, it's a very lightweight car which gives excellent economy, great performance and good handling, in fact it has minimal roll for a crossover and can really be hustled well down a twisty road. Many reviews mention cheap interior, well it's functional rather than luxurious but it's got everything I need. We both fine it very comfortable on long, trips right through France. Not the quietest on the autoroute but cruises very easily at 130kph. Luggage wise it's practical if not massive, a useful shape. Most of all, after the civic, it's much more responsive, loads of low down torque and far better visibility. It also is much more capable on rough tracks and lanes, campsites etc. I think you will enjoy it. There's a good owners forum on FB if you're interested( Vitara 2015 on)

Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - SLO76
Usually good cars the Mazda 3, sounds like you’ve been a tad unlucky. But rust does tend to get a grip on them after a decade or so unless you live in a warmer part of the country. Even my old Toyota Avensis needed two front lower suspension arms and rear brake pipes due to rust this year, but I live on the West coast of Scotland so our roads are covered in salt, muck and water most of the winter so rust gets everything in the end.

I’d happily buy a Vitara, they’re robust cars. I’d recommend having it under sealed if you intend on longterm ownership as they rust too.
Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - SLO76
Further to this post, it’s always been a pet peeve of mine that cars aren’t properly rust treated underneath. Look under any 4/5yr old car and you’ll usually find substantial surface rust on the bulk of the suspension components. How much extra would it cost to have these components galvanised at the factory? I’ll wager it would only add a few hundred quid to the cost of a new car and it would certainly extend its lifespan and cut costs, plus there’s a safety factor here too.

I’m currently sat parked beside a 10yr old caravan and the chassis is completely galvanised and also completely rust free from where I’m looking. Cars should be built this way if they’re really serious about the environment. The best way to cut emissions and waste is to mend and make do, to avoid unnecessary consumption. Building the suspension components of cars from metals that quickly turn to dust is about making money and nothing else.

The actual body underneath my 13yr old Toyota is solid and well protected but all of the suspension components are now showing substantial rust, this year for the Mot it needed two lower front arms and rear brake pipes, to me all of which should be made from non-rusting materials as they’re safety related and in a nasty environment for unprotected metal. Looking back 5yrs now I wish I’d spent the money having old Terrance undersealed rather than spending it on rusty suspension components.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/10/2023 at 13:44

Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - elekie&a/c doctor
My wife runs an 18 szt . It’s a functional no frills vehicle. It’s very lightweight, weighs less than a fiesta , but that doesn’t deter from the ease of driving. I would definitely suggest you get a space saver wheel kit , if not already fitted . Plenty of space in the boot well for it .

Thanks elekie. I will sort a spare out next week. I see that both a 16” and a 17” are sold as being applicable by aftermarket trade. I think Suzuki official one is a 16”. It makes quite a difference to the price so I will do a bit more digging to see which size is right.

I agree underseal might be worth doing if you know you are going to keep a car a long time. My problem with both the Mazda and a previous Civic was that I had maintained them as potential keepers only for other factors to intervene. The Mazda would have benefited from undersealing but it wasn’t just rust that means we are trading it in. It’s getting generally tired despite the work done. The Civic had the same oil issue as Baz’s.

In both cases the very good service histories got the same trade in offer as a car with just an oil service and stamp every year.
I fear a few hundred pounds on undersealing would suffer the same fate if we move it on at say eight years old. Money sunk with no return.
I might regret not getting it done but I’ll take my chances.

Edited by catsdad on 12/10/2023 at 14:02

Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - gordonbennet
The actual body underneath my 13yr old Toyota is solid and well protected but all of the suspension components are now showing substantial rust, this year for the Mot it needed two lower front arms and rear brake pipes, to me all of which should be made from non-rusting materials as they’re safety related and in a nasty environment for unprotected metal. Looking back 5yrs now I wish I’d spent the money having old Terrance undersealed rather than spending it on rusty suspension components.

I recently watched a video taken at the factory where they make and assemble various Landcruisers, appeared to be the Hino factory which makes sense.

The video showed the amount of detail and trouble that went into making the bodies, from scratch, multiple coats fopr corrosion resistance yet the body plonked on a black painted ladder chassis that miraculously appeared with no mention of rust prevention, in fact no mention whatsover of how it was made.

I know from experience with Landcruiser Hilux and similar, if it wasn't for chassis and live axle rust you really could buy a new one in your twenties and never need to buy another vehicle for the rest of your life...which probably answers why those parts aren't galvanised.

I don't use underseal type coverings any more, if the chassis and suspension parts are past prep priming and painting then it's marine grease hand painted on exposed areas and something oil based like ACF50 sprayed underneath and inside cavities annually (20 mins once up on ramps) to keep the rust at bay, such spraying has the added bonus of helping prevent bolts seizing the suspension supple and quiet and helps keep wet and salt from damaging sensors and wiring connectors.

Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - Andrew-T
How much extra would it cost to have these components galvanised at the factory? I’ll wager it would only add a few hundred quid to the cost of a new car and it would certainly extend its lifespan and cut costs, plus there’s a safety factor here too.

SLO, I doubt you are waiting for answers to your question. It would need an agreement between makers not to cut corners by NOT galvanising their cars' underpinnings. Various makers have invested in factory methods to prevent corrosion, and I think most have usually cut back on them for later generation models ?

I am lucky enough to have owned many Pug 205s, at least two of which are still running after 30 years without any mention of body corrosion at the MoT. In the late 80s Peugeot made a splash about their 7-stage coating process (it didn't involve galvanising), which seems to have been a good one - as long as the car never needed any body repairs ....

Yes it's a difficult one to decide how much to invest in a car on top of the initial outlay. I've spent an hour or two spraying lanolin under the Vitara which went on easily and a lot easier than waxoyl. But I've not gone to the trouble that say GB goes to with him vehicles as like cats dad, other things intervene. My Civic was fine at 11 years old, I'd undersealed that as well but once it fairly quickly started using a litre every 5 or 600 miles, it was time to go! I had an Octavia which was also a keeper but that got written off at 9 years old, still it did it's job and saved the missus! So I tend to think of cars as consumable goods, hopefully with a good 10 to 15 years in them. Touchwood, we have a Corolla that is 20 years old and still going well, original exhaust too.

Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - Xileno

Do you mean Lanoguard? I've seen it advertised and it sounds a useful product that I'm tempted to try. Probably missed the opportunity for this year but the Spring would be ideal. The MOT on the Focus has never reported any rust but no harm in keeping it that way.

Yes it was basically that, the one I used is called Lanoshield, was a bit cheaper. Easy to use and less messy than Waxoyl. We'll see how it lasts.

Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - corax
Building the suspension components of cars from metals that quickly turn to dust is about making money and nothing else. The actual body underneath my 13yr old Toyota is solid and well protected but all of the suspension components are now showing substantial rust, this year for the Mot it needed two lower front arms and rear brake pipes, to me all of which should be made from non-rusting materials as they’re safety related and in a nasty environment for unprotected metal. Looking back 5yrs now I wish I’d spent the money having old Terrance undersealed rather than spending it on rusty suspension components.

Rear brake pipes on the Avensis are a weak point. I managed to save mine before they completely succumbed by wire brushing and treating with a rust converter, then spraying clear Bilt hamber wax on them. If the later T27 estates are anything like the older T25 like mine was, there is a tight bend in the brake pipe that is hidden by the wheel arch material. The coating from the factory weakens here and it starts to perish first. I cut a flap in the wheel arch liner on both sides, which I could then push up to reveal the rest of the pipe.

My MOT man had an Avensis that burst both rear brake pipes in the brake test.

Mine went to the sc***yard due to rust on the sills 'affecting the rigidity of the vehicle'. But it was 19 years old. Suspension was getting tired and the electric steering intermittently failed, due to a malfunctioning steering module, not the motor.

Suzuki Vitara - One forum favourite replaced by another - bathtub tom

I was at Malvern, where I saw an employee using an electric drill to drill a hole in the side frame for the handbrake cable on a galvanised chassis - sheesh!