What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - swansea_karl

Well i have finally decided on a car to replace my trusty Astra. 2022 Skoda Scala 1.0 SE. I thought i would have something different. I looked a Astras and Focus, but the Scala caught my eye. And i had a newer Scala from a Skoda Dealer for a better price than an Astra or Focus.

I am waiting for the call for me to collect it. Exciting times

Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - FiestaOwner

The Scala you linked in a previous thread looked very tempting. I find the 1.0TSi engine in my Ibiza to be fabulous.

You've made a good choice. Hope you enjoy it. Keep us updated.

It's the more powerful 1.0 TSI 115bhp I think? The Scala I test drove was the 1.5 tho, this engine seems to get good reviews.

Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - skidpan

Pretty sure they only do the 1 litre in 95 and 110 PS specs but the 115 PS one is exactly the same, its just a number they use to make some models (such as the Up GTi) look more interesting.

If its the 110 PS one it will have 6 gears, the 95 only gets 5 gears.

But why did you not drive the 1 litre before buying it? We own a 110 PS Fabia and its fine but the 1.5 Scala we drove performs way better. Hope the 110 (if it is a 110) does not disappoint.

Same old question, why did you not find out what it was you actually were buying before signing on the dotted line? Cannot imagine a 95 PS one being much fun.

Edited by skidpan on 10/10/2023 at 08:42

Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - FiestaOwner

Pretty sure they only do the 1 litre in 95 and 110 PS specs but the 115 PS one is exactly the same, its just a number they use to make some models (such as the Up GTi) look more interesting.

Skidpan

I read somewhere that Scala's were available with both 110PS and 115PS (as well as the 95, of course). The difference was the 110 had cylinder deactivation and the 115 didn't.

The 115 in my Ibiza doesn't have cylinder deactivation. Does the 110 in your Fabia have it?

Performance wise, there won't be any discernible difference between the two.

I'm sure the OP will be more than happy with the performance of his Scala and yes the 1.0 TSi gets excellent reviews. I've never heard of it being criticised.

Its the higher powered engine, i would not buy the 94bhp version.

Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - badbusdriver

Its the higher powered engine, i would not buy the 94bhp version.

I wouldn't have dismissed it myself without trying it first.

In this day and age it is all too easy to get hung up on power outputs and performance, which is fine if that is what you want, but I'm not all that bothered as long as it can get down the road without too much lethargy. The bare figures don't imply a huge difference in performance between the 94 and 115 version, with 0-62 in 10.9 and 9.8 seconds respectively. Interestingly (to me!), while the higher powered version has 22% more power, the difference in peak torque is less than 15% (at the same rpm). I doubt I'd notice the difference unless ragging the car or with a full load!.

The 94bhp Scala makes 175nm of torque from 2000-3500rpm. Not sure what Astra you had, but a n/a 1.6 (115bhp) makes 155nm @ 4000rpm.

Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - SLO76
Good choice, it’s a much safer bet than the unreliable 1.0 Ecoboost motor in the Focus or the GM 1.0 in the previous gen Astra and it’s too early to know if Peugeot have fixed 1.2 Puretec motor in the newer Astra. VW’s 1.0 TSi has a good reputation to date. I really fancy one in a VW UP! GTi.
Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - daveyK_UK
Good choice, under rated vehicle
Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - Big John
it’s a much safer bet than the unreliable 1.0 Ecoboost motor in the Focus .
I really fancy one in a VW UP! GTi.

I'm with you re VW UP GTi - bet that'll be a hoot to drive and as they are now no longer making the up I suspect GTi values will firm up in time.

Re Ecoboost 1.0 - the later ones are cam chain and a very different engine. However the VAG EA211 engine as fitted to the Scala are proving reliable. The 1.5 version is rather lively.

Edited by Big John on 10/10/2023 at 18:38

Skoda Scala 1.0 SE - SLO76
“ Ecoboost 1.0 - the later ones are cam chain and a very different engine.”

It is, but only time will tell if it’s finally right. They’ve “fixed” this engine several times over the years, but removing the crazy timing belt in oil bath was the right move. Sadly though European manufacturers just don’t seem to do timing chains well, with VW, Vauxhall, Fiat and BMW well known for timing chain failures. I’d rather have a simple and easy (and cheap) to change timing belt like Ford used to have with the older Zetec-se motors. Vauxhall used to run non-interference designs in most of the mass market models. It was easy to change the belt but if it failed it was no biggie.

These of course date from an era when company car fleet gaffers had influence over car designs. They were involved early on and they wanted cars that were simple, robust and easy to maintain and repair. Shame the company car is dead.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/10/2023 at 20:24