Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - John F

There are errors of commission (usually obvious) and omission (often not so obvious). I sometimes wonder if one of the biggest political errors the UK made was not to convert to LHD like Sweden did when I was a teenager. At that time the UK still had an important car and truck industry. Now, apart from the relatively unimportant high end market, it struggles. Anyone who travels abroad will realise what little choice there is in the UK as so many manufacturers just don't bother with RHD versions of some models, and in turn we seem now to export relatively few LHD vehicles compared to other LHD countries with a well developed vehicle manufacturing base.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - badbusdriver

The UK sticking with RHD may be a factor in our motor industry essentially dying, but I don't really think it is a big one. The reason I say that can be partly answered by looking at your own most recent thread:

But what is very noticeable is the variety of big family SUVs on the driveways here (the double garages seem to be used as storage space), mostly of Asian ancestry even if assembled in the US.

Korea may well be LHD but Japan is RHD like the UK. Sticking with RHD seems to have been no impediment to them!.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - movilogo

It is probably not a big thing since Britain is an island and only a handful of British drivers take own cars to the continent.

I personally prefer to fly to destination and then hire a car locally (so steering is always on correct side :-)

There are big RHD markets e.g. India, Indonesia, Japan, Australia/NZ, South Africa i.e. some of the most populous countries in the world.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - daveyK_UK
I don’t know if or why the UK didn’t change driving side, I don’t think it really matters in the grand scheme of things.
Slightly of topic, I recently spent time with a Gabonese family.

In Gabon, buyers do not care what side the steering wheel is on, they are happy to have good quality 2nd hand cars from the UK of which pre covid was numerous,

Since covid most 2nd hand cars in Gabon now only come from Spain, Portugal, France and Morocco, but prices are a lot higher and the quality is not as good.
There is still 1 importer who brings in cars from the UK but this is less frequent and they are significantly more expensive since Covid, the last shipment he had to sell was in January and there has been no more since.

The family had to travel to Libreville where the majority of used car imports are sold to pick up a Mitsubishi Ls200 last year with UK plates on, 2010 2.5 double cab diesel with 147,000 miles. It did come with 2 spare wheels which apparently is essential once your outside of the main roads.
He paid an eye watering $12,000 US for the L200 which I would have assumed would be worth no more than £4K trade even with the post covid inflation.

The LS200 had a Doncaster Mitsubishi dealer sticker in the back window, they have been researching Doncaster ahead of their trip the UK and are going to pay it a visit! Strange how a dealer car stickers can have that effect.

In terms of the wider market, there has been an increase in demand for Kia and Hyundai models, the Hyundai group is making inroads into Toyota and Mercedes territory around the developing world with a reputation for longevity and reliability.

However Toyota remains the No.1 choice for new and used buyers, Suzuki is also popular.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 01/10/2023 at 20:56

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - daveyjp

Not a problem as Japan drive on the left and also produce the most reliable vehicles.

That's a win win.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - edlithgow

Few years ago a Taiwanese (English) teacher colleague asked me "What is the most serious English mistake?" and I said "Margaret Thatcher" but then regretted it, since explanation brought memories.

Now I'd just say "Brexit", which doesn't really need much explaining. even for Taiwanese.

Of course they wanted some 'train spotting grammar' stuff, but I try not to encourage them in that.

Re steering, (not in a "not for turning "context), it makes sense to stick with RHD, if you don't have a significant domestic car industry, since it gives you access to Japanese grey imports, which I'd have thought would be the largest source of relatively shiny used cars on the planet.

A decade or so ago I heard that some Pacific island, maybe Fiji? Or Samoa? (not American Samoa obviously) had switched to RHD, presumably for that reason.

EDIT

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8230936.stm

Must be some special (fiscal?) reason why Gabon sources cars from the UK rather than Japan, since as a general proposition it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I believe the West Indies sourced used Lada's here, but I assume that was a make-and-UK-market specific joke effect.

Edited by edlithgow on 01/10/2023 at 23:33

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Terry W

I doubt that LHD or RHD makes much difference generally, save that some for some cars design constraints and the cost of engineering both variants may simply be uneconomic.

More interesting is why the world ended up adopting two different approaches - the origins may be over 200 years old - possible explanations (there are others):

• In 1773, as British roads became more developed and congested, the government brought in the General Highways Act, which stated that all horse riders, farmers, coachmen and lawless highwaymen must remain on the left side
  • Napoleon ordered his armies to use the right-hand side of the road in order to avoid congestion during military manoeuvres

Some European countries have made the transition o RHD - the last being Sweden in 1967. As most of Europe has land borders it probably makes good sense - the UK is an island.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - edlithgow

As is Samoa, hence their transition the other way.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Metropolis.
Interesting question. In that part of the world it must be the HK handover.. at least in recent times.
Interesting question. In that part of the world it must be the HK handover.. at least in recent times.

Not sure what this is referencing.

I'd guess in this part of the world i.e. Taiwan, they will have switched in 1945, when they stopped being part of the Japanese Empire and came under US and Kuomintang occupation, with an influx of Willys Jeeps and such, but dont know this for a fact.

Its slightly surprising that Japan kept to "our" side through US occupation.since I'd guess there wouldn't be many Japanese vehicles in the immediate postwar period

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Metropolis.
I was referring to your Taiwanese colleagues’ query on worst decisions.
I was referring to your Taiwanese colleagues’ query on worst decisions.

As I said, the query was intended as an English language (teaching) question.

I try and avoid them whenever possible.so I deliberately mis-interpreted it.

HK handover was unavoidable. A battalion or so, (even of Gurkhas) can only do so much, plus it was a treaty obligation

It could have been handled with less duplicity on our side, recognising HK passport for UK entry, for example, but that was down to the UK politics and political leadership (guess who) at the time.

Edited by edlithgow on 04/10/2023 at 01:38

Similarly tangential to the topic task, but still with a vehicular connection, my boss, (who did her Phd in Germany, and, unsurprisingly, taught German), once asked me how much influence German culture and language had had in the UK specifically and in Europe in general…

Hmm,…,a dont mention ze vor moment?, thinks I…oh the hell with it…

“Well, everyone knows the word for tank

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Catfood

There are big RHD markets e.g. India, Indonesia, Japan, Australia/NZ, South Africa i.e. some of the most populous countries in the world.

Oh and don't forget Far Eastern Russia .....

Almost every car you see on street are Japanese RHD imports......

Try Google Street View in any Siberian city in Russia.....

No. The biggest political mistake for the UK motor industry in that era was joining the EC. We immediately cut off our kith and kin in the commonwealth such as (but not limited to) New Zealand and Australia who suddenly had EC tariffs to deal with - an incredible betrayal and Japan swept in.
RHD is inherently better given most people are right handed (for the steering wheel) and have a dominant right eye. The Europeans were never going to have the same loyalty to our cars!
Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - gordonbennet
No. The biggest political mistake for the UK motor industry in that era was joining the EC.

Yup, and as said above Japans home market is RHD and Toyota make the most reliable cars anywhere.

We won't have a manufacturing industry again, our power costs thanks to successive govts make industry uneconomical.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Andrew-T

<< We won't have a manufacturing industry again, our power costs thanks to successive govts make industry uneconomical. >>

Without wishing to send this thread off at a tangent, I suggest it goes deeper than that. It's always easy to blame whichever govt one dislikes. This country has been declining gradually for about a century, partly because we have dug up and exported most of our natural resources - coal, iron, tin. etc - and we have just sanctioned another bit of the offshore oil. Other nations still have coal, oil and all the rare metals needed by modern tech. We have to export our ingenuity (what is left of it) and hope to retain financial advantage in the City.

And of course we have priced ourselves out of most markets, for various reasons - depending on your point of view.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Adampr

Whilst we're doing tangents (although this one is fairly well-relates), I was surprised that The Holden brand has vanished. GM decided to stop making RHD cars altogether after ditching Vauxhall, and that was that.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Terry W
No. The biggest political mistake for the UK motor industry in that era was joining the EC. We immediately cut off our kith and kin in the commonwealth such as (but not limited to) New Zealand and Australia who suddenly had EC tariffs to deal with - an incredible betrayal and Japan swept in. RHD is inherently better given most people are right handed (for the steering wheel) and have a dominant right eye. The Europeans were never going to have the same loyalty to our cars!

The UK owned motor industry died during the 1960-80s as the cars manufactured were r****** - some decent designs poorly executed, unreliable, put together in strike ridden obsolete factories.

The Japanese succeeded with (back then) low manufacturing costs, high quality levels, high specification.

As a market Australia/NZ is less than 10% of the EU. The EU is as little as 20 miles away, A/NZ 10,000. The loyalty shown in the 1970s to UK car manufacturers was a legacy of empire and WW2, not backed by product quality.

Objectively, the EU was where the focus of market development should go - not a distant bit of empire from which many sought separation.

Interestingly one other explanation for drive on the left was that it enabled the sword, typically held in the right, to defend against oncoming attackers.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - mcb100
‘ Interestingly one other explanation for drive on the left was that it enabled the sword, typically held in the right, to defend against oncoming attackers.’

And apparently why spiral staircases in castles go right as you ascend. So those defending them could more effectively wield a sword with their right hand.

Edited by mcb100 on 02/10/2023 at 13:57

Interestingly one other explanation for drive on the left was that it enabled the sword, typically held in the right, to defend against oncoming attackers.

There is an urban myth, derived from this, that I enjoy.

Essentially, with the exception of America, the countries that drive on the right are those that were conquered by Napoleon. He insisted that everyone ride on the right so that he could hold his sword in his left hand and keep his right hand tucked in.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Sofa Spud

If we were going to change to driving on the other side of the road, the best time would have just after the Second World War, when there were fewer cars on the road because of petrol rationing and general austerity.

We're living through all the damage the foolish mistake called Brexit has done, so it would be ironic if we were now to change to driving on the right.

Anyway, in a purely practical sense, changing the side of the road we drive on would now be a huge upheaval compared to any the benefits it might bring. Much better to just rejoin the EU and adopt the Euro.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - galileo

If we were going to change to driving on the other side of the road, the best time would have just after the Second World War, when there were fewer cars on the road because of petrol rationing and general austerity.

We're living through all the damage the foolish mistake called Brexit has done, so it would be ironic if we were now to change to driving on the right.

Anyway, in a purely practical sense, changing the side of the road we drive on would now be a huge upheaval compared to any the benefits it might bring. Much better to just rejoin the EU and adopt the Euro.

There was a referendum: you lost. Get over it. :-)

<< There was a referendum: you lost. Get over it. :-) >>

Everyone knows there was a referendum, with a rather unconvincing result which we all have to get over. But current opinion seems to suggest that a re-run would be unlikely to confirm the result.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - gordonbennet

Everyone knows there was a referendum, with a rather unconvincing result which we all have to get over. But current opinion seems to suggest that a re-run would be unlikely to confirm the result.

Don't be so sure about that, many don't say too much on certain subjects because we're fed up with the programmed crying and faux outrage, just the same when questioning the battery car narrative.

Opinion is an interesting concept, when only one opinion is allowed and any other hysterically shouted down sometimes the actual event, in this case the referendum (and Trump), can provide surprising results...do you really think Cameron would have allowed the referendum to go ahead if he hadn't assured his owners remain would win? hence why he was outed with his useless tail between his legs within hours of failing.

Don't be so sure about that, many don't say too much on certain subjects because we're fed up with the programmed crying and faux outrage, just the same when questioning the battery car narrative.

Opinion is an interesting concept, when only one opinion is allowed and any other hysterically shouted down sometimes the actual event, in this case the referendum (and Trump), can provide surprising results...do you really think Cameron would have allowed the referendum to go ahead if he hadn't assured his owners remain would win? hence why he was outed with his useless tail between his legs within hours of failing.

As far as I can tell, Cameron called the referendum to shore up support ahead of the 2015 election because he was scared of losing votes to UKIP and Labour winning. You're right that he never thought he'd lose it, but I don't think he was particularly responding to his owners other than the electorate.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - skidpan

Essentially, with the exception of America, the countries that drive on the right are those that were conquered by Napoleon.

Never realised that Korea, China, Mongolia, most of South America, huge parts of Central and Northern Africa, parts of the Middle East, Norway, Finland etc were conquered by Napoleon.

Presumably you also never realised that 'America' includes South America and that, more importantly, 'myth' means something that is not true?!

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - skidpan

Presumably you also never realised that 'America' includes South America and that, more importantly, 'myth' means something that is not true?!

Most have always referred to North and South America geographically, America on its own tends to mean the North.

As for being a myth why do you bother post it.

As for being a myth why do you bother post it.

Sorry, I should have avoided corrupting this otherwise perfect thread about pointless speculation, Brexit debate and claims about those good old 'shadowy figures'.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - John F

Thanks for the (mostly) interesting answers. The Japanese success seems to support the 'no' answer, but they did get a lot of help after the 2ndWW to boost their exports ...but then I suppose we did too. I do heartily disagree with the 'Thatcher' comment - perhaps the poster was too young to experience what a sorry state the country was in when she came to power.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Xileno

"....sorry state the country was in when she came to power."

I expect we could discuss and argue that one until Christmas.

In the other forum though.

I do heartily disagree with the 'Thatcher' comment - perhaps the poster was too young to experience what a sorry state the country was in when she came to power.

You say the nicest things...unfortunately also some of the least accurate.

Andrew, the polls also predicted remain before the day of the referendum. Now remainers/rejoiners are on the back foot they are more likely to speak up and also to answer surveys. Much like brexit supporters used to in the 40 or so years prior.
Andrew, the polls also predicted remain before the day of the referendum. Now remainers/rejoiners are on the back foot they are more likely to speak up and also to answer surveys. Much like brexit supporters used to in the 40 or so years prior.

We could speculate endlessly about that, but only a full referendum might settle the question. I'm not sure either 'side' is on the back foot as it seems to me that most people have finally decided debating the issue is a waste of time.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Bromptonaut
No. The biggest political mistake for the UK motor industry in that era was joining the EC. We immediately cut off our kith and kin in the commonwealth such as (but not limited to) New Zealand and Australia who suddenly had EC tariffs to deal with - an incredible betrayal and Japan swept in.

Jeez, a step back 50+ years.

Not seen language like that since some vicar in Bradford who wrote in the Yorkshire POst c1973 defending the Smith Regime in Rhodesia.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/10/2023 at 22:24

Interesting that you picked up on that phrase in particular. Do you find it controversial?
Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Bromptonaut
Interesting that you picked up on that phrase in particular. Do you find it controversial?

Controversial? Yes.

The French and Germans are our kith and kin too.

To my mind the term has racial connotations bordering on racism hence my reference to Smith's apologist. .

The reason many people call them our kith and kin is because (especially back then) the populations were of overwhelmingly British stock in nations created by us in living memory. They also fought alongside us in the war hence the sentiment of betrayal. Nothing racist about the phrase.

In the Rhodesian context it would have been a reference to the minority settler population which is a whole other discussion.
The reason many people call them our kith and kin is because (especially back then) the populations were of overwhelmingly British stock in nations created by us in living memory. They also fought alongside us in the war hence the sentiment of betrayal.

All absolutely true, but all that happened 70 years ago, and many of those kith and kin have decided to loosen the ties with the Old Country. The UK has become more allied with Europe, which has the advantage of less trading transport costs. The 'kith and kin' argument doesn't last for ever. Don't forget what happened in 1776 across the pond - many of them were kith and kin too.

It is 70 years ago now, but in 1972 it was not. I do believe we would have much closer ties in terms of trade and culture now with those commonwealth countries, had we not shunned them by joining the EC. As we did join the EC we certainly did become economically tied as they controlled our trade policy, but thankfully we are broadening our horizons again now. I am not sure we ever become culturally tied to Europe in quite the same way as we were once to the commonwealth. We were always a reluctant member. Had we not joined the EC, we might have built on those then
-close links but as it happened those countries had to go their own way as well and the rest is history.
I am not sure we ever become culturally tied to Europe in quite the same way as we were once to the commonwealth. We were always a reluctant member.

Cultural ties may help international trade, but I think they quite easily drop down the priority list when needs must.

August isn’t the most representative month due to summer shutdowns, but it is the last month we have figures for.

Exports from UK-EU stood at 57.9% of production, whilst shipments to US, China and Japan were down -58.6%, -24.5% and -37.8% respectively.

Of total UK production, 36.6% were EV.
August isn’t the most representative month due to summer shutdowns, but it is the last month we have figures for. Exports from UK-EU stood at 57.9% of production, whilst shipments to US, China and Japan were down -58.6%, -24.5% and -37.8% respectively. Of total UK production, 36.6% were EV.

I'm not getting the connection with which side the steering wheel is on.

Ed, I believe MCB is replying in respect of how we do as a RHD country exporting to LHD and RHD countries.
‘Ed, I believe MCB is replying in respect of how we do as a RHD country exporting to LHD and RHD countries.’

More a case of showing how important EU is as a market with 448 million people a 20 mile Channel crossing away, as opposed to the combined Australia/New Zealand population of 31 million on the other side of the planet.
Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - KJP 123

As mentioned, Japan does OK.

Having driven both LHD and RHD cars in France over many years I found it made little difference; a nuisance in car parks with tickets unless you had a passenger but a device on the windscreen for motorway tolls solved that problem.

One potential problem: cars principally designed as LHD can have a more tortuous route for the clutch cable when RHD so can snap more often.

Ireland did consider changing: trucks and buses on Monday, cars and motorcycles on Tuesday.

I think on at least one model (was it the Citroen Saxo?) they deemed it uneconomical to reroute the aircon for RHD so just removed it as an option.

Fortunately with the worlds most populated country being RHD and getting richer, the importance of the market in RHD cars will only increase.
I think on at least one model (was it the Citroen Saxo?) they deemed it uneconomical to reroute the aircon for RHD so just removed it as an option. Fortunately with the worlds most populated country being RHD and getting richer, the importance of the market in RHD cars will only increase.

I wouldn't rely on it. They've got their own auto industry.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - movilogo

I wouldn't rely on it. They've got their own auto industry.

India exports LHD & RHD cars worldwide and also imports cars from UK.

However, if the car is Complete Built Unit (CBU) i.e. built overseas, then in attracts huge tariff. However, depending on trade deals, such duty might be reduced.

www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/indi.../

I think on at least one model (was it the Citroen Saxo?) they deemed it uneconomical to reroute the aircon for RHD so just removed it as an option. Fortunately with the worlds most populated country being RHD and getting richer, the importance of the market in RHD cars will only increase.

It sounds plausible as the Saxo / 106 was legendary for the pedals being horribly offset.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - daveyK_UK
I found the Vauxhall Crossland X pedals to be off set, I wonder if that also suffers from a poorly thought out RHD conversion.

Re the Crossland - possibly as I think it is on a PSA platform?

One thing I never understood was why the windscreen wipers on many British cars seemed to be on the LHD side, with the base of the wiper arm resting on the left hand side of the screen. Also the case on certain BMW 7 series.

Persisting with RHD cars - - was it the biggest mistake the UK made? - Bilboman

Standardisation of steering wheel side and traffic side could potentially have been done on a much larger scale following the 1926 Paris Convention, when most countries chose LHD/RH traffic, largely owing to USA-led mass car production and a desire to "standardise". This desire was not felt in countries with an imperialist history (UK, Japan and, in pre-Napoleonic times, the Netherlands and Portugal), hence the plethora of former colonies which continue to drive on the left. Parts of the collapsed Austro Hungarian Empire (including Yugoslavia) continued to drive on the left until WW2
Over the centuries, common (and economic) sense led to the move to the right - or fully to the right! - in territories with land borders (Canada, Gibraltar, Sweden, Poland, Spain), although post-independence nationalism may have played a part in many cases (Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Bahrain.)
Foreign "imports" or anything less common or requiring adaptation is inevitably going to cost a bit more one way or another, but if the whole world had miraculously decided to drive on the same side a century ago this would have undoubtedly evened the playing field.