Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - Bobby567

I put a reservation down for a Hyundai i20 ex demonstrator through Evan Halshaw. I had to pay £349 delivery for the car to brought up to my local EH plus £99 deposit. I said to the salesman I want to test drive it before buying (The branch in England said I'd have to buy from them before delivery which put me off)

The salesman said they can deliver the car but if I didn't take it then I'd be charged the delivery fee although I'd get my deposit back.

I'm pretty certain I would be taking it but I want to ensure it has no scratches and as I said I'd like to test drive it.

The next day after I'd been to EH I get an invoice for the car and the small print at the bottom said they can't deliver until I pay them up front but the worse of it is they have tried to charge me over £4000 worth of VAT! I have never heard of this before.

Can anyone give me any advice regarding this?

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - _

Can anyone give me any advice regarding this?

Yes. Walk away.

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - badbusdriver

You have to pay VAT on everything you buy, so not sure why this would come as a surprise?. VAT currently 20% so on a £24k car, £4k is VAT.

On Hyundai's i20 price list, it shows pre and post VAT prices.

As for Evans Halshaw, tell them that if they don't honour the agreement you were told, you will take your business elsewhere.

I thought the VAT was included in the price

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - Adampr

VAT should be included in the price. On an ex-demo it is likely to be 20% because there is probably margin to calculate it against.. That would be stated on the invoice. On a 'normal' used car, you can't see it on the invoice as it's charged on margin (which you won't know).

However, if the dealer has advertised at £20k and now wants £24k I would certainly be annoyed. I would simply not buy the car and tell them that it's because they want £4,000 more than advertised.

I20s aren't exactly rare, so no skin off your nose.

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - Falkirk Bairn

VAT on cars can be reclaimed by a small group of companies - e.g. Car Rental, Franchises that get "special pricing for demonstrators and special VAT rules"

Normally any UK company cannot reclaim VAT on a car but can get some VAT back on leasing charges. Vans/pick-up trucks etc are different from cars

A son had a pick-up truck at work that was sold for £16K

They got £16,000 & £3,200 VAT back when the pick-up was sold. I know this as my son had a friend who wanted to buy it but found out it was £16K+VAT

They also sold a car to WBAC and got a straight £8,000 back

The extra VAT on the Hyundai looks like a misunderstanding on the VAT on ex-demo cars.

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - daveyjp
How much was the car advertised for? How much did you agree to pay? How much are you being asked to pay?
Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - Ian_SW

Anything that is sold retail has to be primarily advertised at the "including VAT" price. It's only if the intended customer is a business that the "excluding VAT" price can be shown as the main price. Because of this, its fairly normal practice to show prices excluding VAT for commercial vehicles, but cars from a retail dealership should eb advertised including VAT.

The main price would be the sticker price on the windscreen if you physically visit a dealer, or the one in large print on the website at the top of the advert, price listed in Autotrader etc.

I suspect the sales person at the dealer genuinely forgot to include the VAT in the advertised price and is trying to use smoke and mirrors to get you to pay it. Was the car surprisingly cheap compared to other equivalents. Even if the price after the VAT has been added was then comparable to other similar age/spec cars I think I'd still walk away out of principle.

I don't think there's any legal obligation to sell you the car at the advertised price if it was wrong, but the advertising laws being broken should be enough of a lever to get your deposit back.

Also, if this was a completely remote transaction, and you've only spoken to them on the phone/email, you can get the deposit back anyway in the first 14 days after you pay it due to the "cooling off" period which is mandatory on all remote sales.

The car was advertised at a good price for the model it is. I have now been assured there are no additional costs from the advertised price.

Car advertised for just under £20,000 and the VAT said over £4000

I contacted the salesman I spoke to today regarding VAT and said I'm not prepared to pay £4000 odd when this wasn't the advertised price. He assured me I will pay the advertised price without any additional costs. He said the invoice was merely for the purpose of getting the car delivered and I will get a new invoice if I purchase the car. It's very confusing and seems a misunderstanding, I did mention I didn't understand why the invoice has been sent to me with a two tap signature including the delivery cost I'd already paid for. It seems this shouldn't have been sent to me at all and would have prevented crossed communication.

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - bathtub tom

I contacted the salesman I spoke to today regarding VAT and said I'm not prepared to pay £4000 odd when this wasn't the advertised price. He assured me I will pay the advertised price without any additional costs

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Get that in writing!

I emailed the car salesman and he replied stating this so this is in writing

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - Brit_in_Germany

The VAT charge does seem to be more like an inter-dealership accounting exercise for the transfer so the invoice is probably one for your dealer which has been mistakenly passed on to you.

I think this is the case

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - FoxyJukebox
So-just to be clear-are you implying here that the car was advertised at a price that excluded VAT?
If so-that is serious foul play.
Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - Terry W

Cars being advertised and sold to retail customers should include VAT.

If you have signed a contract to buy the car this is legally binding. In law the dealer is obliged to sell you the car at the price contracted.

Enforcing this may be difficult if they have made an error and want to back out. You could threaten legal action, citizens advice, local press etc etc - reputational damage could be an issue depending on the dealer.

Enforcing the lower price or a refund through the courts may be somewhat risky, time consuming and stressful. Whether you are prepared to go down this route is an individual choice - personally I would walk, find another car, and give them a reputational hard time.

The dealer is not obliged to sell at the price contracted.

They are within their rights to cancel any deal and return all deposit monies paid.

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - catsdad

Are you sure about that? They don’t have to sell at the advertised price but if a contract is legally in place (including “consideration” ie some money being paid) then they can’t back out without compensation for any reasonable expenses incurred by the prospective buyer, its not just the deposit. I may be out of date here in which case every day is a school day.

When I received the invoice after I'd paid the deposit and delivery fee the VAT was added to the purchase price and I was asked to double tap to sign I agreed to this. I've been told this invoice was for them to get the car delivered. They should have kept it to themselves or at least explained what it meant.

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - SLO76
Any doubts, walk away. An i20 is a mass market car, there’s loads about so find one somewhere else. The delivery fee is nuts. My mother just bought a Honda Jazz, the car had to be brought in from another branch and this was done for £99 deposit, which came off the price, there was no “delivery fee.”

As for VAT, it’s charged on any retail car, but it is unusual to see it broken down on the invoice unless it’s a commercial vehicle. As long as the total price is no dearer than normal then there’s no issue, it’s merely their way of book keeping.

I know the delivery fee is insane. Apparently it has recently changed from a flat fee of £99 to going by distance as they have changed their delivery company. It's an ex-demonstrator, so classed as a company car, I don't know if this makes a difference with how the invoice is broken down. I really wanted this particular model and I was finding it difficult getting one in the colour I wanted as a nearly new model. I thought the price with delivery fee (even being excessive) was still a good deal.

Hyundai i20 - Evan Halshaw - badbusdriver

What i am wondering about is the £4k VAT. According to the price list on Hyundai's website, there is only one i20 model on which £4k of tax is applicable (though there are another two between £3.5 and £4k), the top of the range Ultimate spec with 1.0t engine and DCT box. On it, the VAT is £4047.50.

So first, this would suggest the OP's car is not a common or garden variety i20, and so probably not all that widely available (assuming that particular spec is desired). But the second thing is that I'd have thought the appeal of an ex demo would be to get it at a good price relative to new. But if the OP is paying £4k of VAT, that doesn't seem to be the case?

The VAT on the invoice is perfectly normal for an ex demo as up to that point no VAT has been paid on the vehicle.

The dealer doesn't pay the VAT on the new car as they are VAT registered so claim it back, but this VAT has to be paid by someone. There is a VAT margin scheme set up for car traders and this will be the VAT shown on the invoice.

If the car had been sold to a private buyer when new the VAT would have been paid by them. If for whatever reason it then ended up back with the dealer after a few months to be sold the price woukd still be £20k, but no VAT on the invoice,

Edited by daveyjp on 17/09/2023 at 08:58