What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Scala - swansea_karl

Ive never really considered looking at a Scala. Some of the prices for a 2021 1.0 seems good compared to other cars in the class. Are they roomy inside?

Skoda Scala - Adampr

I imagine it will be much like the Rapid before - roomy and practical but not the greatest drive.

Skoda Scala - maz64

WhatCar give it 5 stars: www.whatcar.com/skoda/scala/hatchback/used-review/...8

Another strong suit of the Scala is practicality. That it has plenty of room in the front and plenty of adjustment in the driving position is a given for the class, but what's different about the Scala is that it has a really spacious back seat that copes well with bulky child seats and lanky teenagers.

Skoda Scala - SLO76
Perfectly decent small hatchback, but from the limited numbers I’m seeing on the road they’re struggling to sell them. It looks too bland, too similar to the cheaper Fabia. It lacks identity, but I’ll bet it’ll be a very decent car.
Skoda Scala - daveyK_UK
Decent car, under rated.

Skoda Scala - skidpan

When we started our new car search about 3 weeks ago our first port of call was our local Skoda dealer since the wife had loved her Fabia for 5 1/2 years. We for a chat regarding prices and a test drive and as expected they had no 1.5 TSi 150 PS DSG on the demo fleet. They did however have a mechanically identical Scala 1.5 TSi 150 PS DSG we could borrow. What surprised us was that after discounts and contributions the bigger and better finished Scala was no more expensive than the Fabia.

I drove first and after about 10 miles I was more than happy with the car and we both agreed that for the same money the Scala made more sense, unfortunately the location of the handbrake lever was a major issue for the wife in both the Fabia and Scala so we had to walk away.

I imagine it will be much like the Rapid before - roomy and practical but not the greatest drive.

The Rapid also looked good in the showroom when we bought the Fabia but the salesman showed us and told us about its issues. Basically it was the Seat Toledo with a modified grille and an option of 2 different body styles. Under the skin it was based on a platform from previous generation VAG cars unlike the Mk 3 Fabia which was bang up to date. This resulted in dated driving and comfort (with a huge boot). He advised the Fabia and we have had no regrets.

The Scala is pretty much bang up to date and does not loose out much to other similarly sized VAG offerings (except on price).

Shame about the handbrake.

Skoda Scala - alan1302

When we started our new car search about 3 weeks ago our first port of call was our local Skoda dealer since the wife had loved her Fabia for 5 1/2 years. We for a chat regarding prices and a test drive and as expected they had no 1.5 TSi 150 PS DSG on the demo fleet. They did however have a mechanically identical Scala 1.5 TSi 150 PS DSG we could borrow. What surprised us was that after discounts and contributions the bigger and better finished Scala was no more expensive than the Fabia.

The cheaper cost could be because a facelifted model is due and they are wanting to clear out the older model.

Skoda Scala - Engineer Andy

The cheaper cost could be because a facelifted model is due and they are wanting to clear out the older model.

TYhis might be the one car at present that is a genuine bargain. I was looking at a replacement car for mine if that sensor issue doesn't go away on my aged Mazda3, and I was doing a search for Skodas, particularly the now out of prdocution Yeti, but came across a 2019 Scala 1.5 for the same prcies as a lesser Yeti that was also at least 2 years older.

I recall similar big bargains (now relatively speaking) when I was looking for a replacement car back in early 2017 and saw brand new Rapid 1.2TSi mid spec cars going for £11k - £13K on the broker sites and on Motorpoint. I really like the large boot and hatchback opening in a saloon style (best of both worlds). Those were the days (I had the opportunity to buy a del miles only Golf GT 1.4TSi 150PS manual with climate control for £17k and didn't) - near the end of the era of cheap cars.

I also went for one - it was the 'older style' 'sea of grey' interior that put me off, plus at the time I was looking for a 'proper' (i.e. not dual clutch) auto transmission car and not a manual. Now I probably cannot be as picky, although I still wouldn't get a dual clutch transmission car, just a manual.

The Scala is essenitally an estate like the Rapid Spaceback, but with more boot space, although not as much as the 'standard' (saloonshaped) Rapid. Still, it would easily do as a replacement for my 17yo Mazda3 saloon, even if the Scala isn't exactly a looker - its ok. I'd rather save a load of cash at the moment.

Skoda Scala - Big John

I drove first and after about 10 miles I was more than happy with the car and we both agreed that for the same money the Scala made more sense, unfortunately the location of the handbrake lever was a major issue for the wife in both the Fabia and Scala so we had to walk away.

What was the issue re handbrake lever, was it because it's in the same position for a LHD car? I ask as Mrs BJ doesn't want a future car with an electronic handbrake so Scala is on the radar.

Skoda Scala - skidpan

What was the issue re handbrake lever, was it because it's in the same position for a LHD car?

Exactly that. On our current Fabia the Handbrake is in the centre of the console, in the new one (and the Scala) its on the passenger side of the console and since Mrs Skidpan has left shoulder issues (rotator cuff) she could not pull it on fully.

I ask as Mrs BJ doesn't want a future car with an electronic handbrake so Scala is on the radar.

We have had an electronic handbrake on both Superbs and love it. We have given up looking at cars with "manual" handbrakes now since even if they are OK today who know what issues they could cause her in years to come. Problem is that makes a short list much shorter.

The price we got was for March 24 delivery (there is a 24 week wait) which would make the car the revised model.

12k for a 71 plate with 10k. Better value than a Focus or Astra.

2022 Grey SKODA Skoda Scala 1.0 TSI 95 S 5dr for sale for £12,999 in Cannock, Staffordshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Edited by swansea_karl on 17/09/2023 at 14:28

Skoda Scala - badbusdriver

12k for a 71 plate with 10k. Better value than a Focus or Astra.

2022 Grey SKODA Skoda Scala 1.0 TSI 95 S 5dr for sale for £12,999 in Cannock, Staffordshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Seems like a decent price, though I did notice a 7k mile 2022 Fiat Tipo 1.0 turbo for £12950 on Autotrader. It is at a Fiat dealer in Swindon but there are no pics.

Yes, the Tipos seem to be good value. Not great reviews tho.

Yes, the Tipos seem to be good value. Not great reviews tho.

Not by the motoring press, but I believe owners like them well enough. Though I would imagine the Scala to be a bit more polished overall in terms of perceived quality, infotainment, ride and handling.

Edited by badbusdriver on 17/09/2023 at 18:20

I did have a look at the Tipo when it was launched. It was very roomy and comfortable.
I will have a look at the Scala. Or do i just go back to a trusty Astra? I am on my third Astra now. I suppose the only downside of a Skoda would be more expensive parts than an Astra.

I did have a look at the Tipo when it was launched. It was very roomy and comfortable.
I will have a look at the Scala. Or do i just go back to a trusty Astra? I am on my third Astra now. I suppose the only downside of a Skoda would be more expensive parts than an Astra.

Cheapest 2022 Astra on Autotrader is £4k more than "your" Scala. Granted it has an extra 50bhp (from its 1.2 Puretech), but that would cover a lot of parts!

Skoda Scala - FiestaOwner

I’d be a bit wary of the 1.2 Puretech engine in the Astra. I’ve seen a lot of issues reported with it in this forum (although this has been when fitted to Peugeots).

The 1.0TSi in the Skoda is a well regarded unit. I’ve never seen any complaints about it. Think the Scala would be a safe bet. I’ve got an Ibiza with the 1.0TSi in it which I’ve done 60,000 miles with and am planning to keep for another couple of years (30,000 miles).

Wouldn’t think there would be any problem getting cheaper parts for the Skoda from a motor factor.

Just make sure the Scala has the spec you want, as I think the one you linked doesn’t have cruise control (it will have what looks like a cruise control switches on the indicator switch, but on low-end Skoda's and SEAT’s it just works the speed limiter). May well not be an issue for you, but think Cruise control has been standard on all Vauxhalls for a number of years.

I’d be a bit wary of the 1.2 Puretech engine in the Astra. I’ve seen a lot of issues reported with it in this forum (although this has been when fitted to Peugeots).

The 1.0TSi in the Skoda is a well regarded unit. I’ve never seen any complaints about it. Think the Scala would be a safe bet. I’ve got an Ibiza with the 1.0TSi in it which I’ve done 60,000 miles with and am planning to keep for another couple of years (30,000 miles).

Wouldn’t think there would be any problem getting cheaper parts for the Skoda from a motor factor.

Just make sure the Scala has the spec you want, as I think the one you linked doesn’t have cruise control (it will have what looks like a cruise control switches on the indicator switch, but on low-end Skoda's and SEAT’s it just works the speed limiter). May well not be an issue for you, but think Cruise control has been standard on all Vauxhalls for a number of years.

TBH even the 95PS engined car doesn't look that bad from a useability pov - its only 0.9 sec slower to 60 at 10.9 sec and is better in that regard than my old Mazda3 1.6 N/A petrol at 11.2 sec to 60, probably because of the higher torque the turbocharged engine brings.

At least the 'S' model has alloys (15in, no bad thing in my view - my Mazda now has that size and is fine to drive in terms of handling) and A/C, albeit manual rather than climate (SE-L and above). And I also don't mind relying on my smartphone(s) for the satnav, on the small number of occasions I actually need it. The rear parking sensors of teh Se are fine, but the more boxy rear end should make parking easier than saloons like mine and steeply raked hatchbacks.

I also think that cruise control is overrated, at least on the UK's congested roads - I'd rather keep my wits about me to avoid going over the speed limit / not be caught by a speed camera, as many car gadgets in my view make the driver lazy and inattentive to the conditions at hand these days.

Skoda Scala - catsdad

I had an electronic handbrake in my Avensis. It was not a good setup. I was therefore concerned about the handbrake when I bought my Golf. I needn’t have worried, it’s fully intuitive when set in Auto. Mrs C. Even likes it. It’s likely to be even more useful if you have arm issues. It does take a few minutes to acclimatise on a test drive but after that it’s fine.

Drawbacks? Well it’s potentially expensive to repair but you see lots elderly VAG cars still running with them. So you don’t need a VAG if it needs attention. It’s also a slight annoyance to switch between cars. That’s it.

Skoda Scala - up north

Nothing wrong with the Toledo. Have a 2016 plate 1.2 TSI 105 for the last three years. Handles better than a 66 plate Mazda 2 and 2016 Fiesta, better comfort so no back ache, great car and under rated. When I bought it it had fsh, 32k, miles, immaculate and the nice grey colour and no issues. one owner and worked as a mechanic at SEAT and he thought it was good enough to buy from his dealership. £5.5k. Turned out to be a great deal. Depends who you believe.

Skoda Scala - skidpan

I had an electronic handbrake in my Avensis. It was not a good setup.

We test dove an Avensis and it put us off electric handbrakes until we drove the Superb which has the VAG set up which works great. The switches are where you would expect them to be and no need to use the switches anyway.

Skoda Scala - skidpan

TBH even the 95PS engined car doesn't look that bad from a useability pov

We tried a Fabia back in 2018 with the 95 PS engine but bought one with the 110 PS engine. For £600 not only did you get the extra 15 PS and about 20 torques but you also got a 6 speed box and rear disc brakes, a no brainer.

But in all honesty the 95 PS version was fine, possibly the gearing in it suited town use more.

But I would need some convincing that the bigger Scala would be OK with the 95 PS engine, would suggest a really good test drive to ensure you are 100% happy.

TBH even the 95PS engined car doesn't look that bad from a useability pov

We tried a Fabia back in 2018 with the 95 PS engine but bought one with the 110 PS engine. For £600 not only did you get the extra 15 PS and about 20 torques but you also got a 6 speed box and rear disc brakes, a no brainer.

But in all honesty the 95 PS version was fine, possibly the gearing in it suited town use more.

But I would need some convincing that the bigger Scala would be OK with the 95 PS engine, would suggest a really good test drive to ensure you are 100% happy.

In my situation, the car would be a direct replacement for my 'old' Mazda3 TS2 1.6 petrol engine, as it is a bit quicker to 60, as my Mazda3 has 105Ps but only 107ft-lbs of torque and my car is actually about 40kg heavier (kerb weight).

Roughly the same on interior and boot space, though I'd need to go for the SE-L for climate control, but if the money's tight, I'd put up with just manual A/C and the 15in wheels and tyres give a better ride, mpg (normally skinner tyres) and are cheaper to replace by some margin if they are a standard size like 195/65 R15 as mine are.

Quite a good value for money car, even if it's not that pretty (the Fabia, Octavia and Superb are much nicer in that regard). As you say, a (thorough) test drive would be needed, given comfort / ergnomics and the driving experience are very subjective, especially if you're used to something.

Skoda Scala - Adampr

Nothing wrong with the Toledo. Have a 2016 plate 1.2 TSI 105 for the last three years. Handles better than a 66 plate Mazda 2 and 2016 Fiesta, better comfort so no back ache, great car and under rated. When I bought it it had fsh, 32k, miles, immaculate and the nice grey colour and no issues. one owner and worked as a mechanic at SEAT and he thought it was good enough to buy from his dealership. £5.5k. Turned out to be a great deal. Depends who you believe.

I had one up until a year ago. Also the 1.2 TSI (but I think it has more power). It was great, but a little bit basic inside and the rear end was a bit bouncy. An absolute bargain, though.

I had one up until a year ago. Also the 1.2 TSI (but I think it has more power). It was great, but a little bit basic inside and the rear end was a bit bouncy. An absolute bargain, though.

Bag of cement in the spare wheel well would sort that right out ;-)