Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - Halmerend
I’m close to buying a very low mileage car. Less than a thousand miles per year and warranted. It looks like you would expect but it’s not particularly cheap. I just wondered what you would look out for? MOT history is consistent with the mileage with only one minor advisory over seven years.
Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - alan1302
I’m close to buying a very low mileage car. Less than a thousand miles per year and warranted. It looks like you would expect but it’s not particularly cheap. I just wondered what you would look out for? MOT history is consistent with the mileage with only one minor advisory over seven years.

Les than 1,000 miles a year and two years old or less than 1,000 miles a year and 20 years old? Would make a difference.

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - elekie&a/c doctor
Ok , throw us a bone , what is it . ?
Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - Ian_SW

1000 miles a year can be a car used every day for a 1 mile commute, or it could be a car which lives in the garage most of the time and does a 100 mile trip for 10 summer weekends.

If it's the 1 mile commute car, it probably won't be in any better condition than one which has done 10000 miles per year on a 10 mile commute, possibly worse as the engine will never warm up properly.

The summer weekend car would be a decent buy, though realistically unless it's a sports car or a convertible it's unlikely to actually be that. Very few people would buy a Fiesta and use it that infrequently.

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - bathtub tom

Dip the oil and check for mayonnaise on the oil filler. Have a close look underneath and see if the exhaust is terminally rusty. Check the seats and pedals look as if they've seen use consistent with the mileage.

Sorry, it’s a ten year old Japanese car.

well that narrows it down a bit .

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - edlithgow

well that narrows it down a bit .

Aux contraire, since by implication, its a secret 10-year old Japanese car, presumably therefore one of those disguised test mule things.

You just have to think back to what Japanese new models came out 10 years ago, et whatever-the-encrypted-Japanese-for voila is, its narrowed down a lot.

Perhaps not a good punt though. Rare, but the bugs might not all be ironed out

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - Andrew-T

Yes, we could infer that from 7 years MoT's plus the initial 3 years. Do the MoTs suggest steady occasional use, or are there any quiet spells ? Could have changed owners after sitting idle for some time.

If the condition of the car and the service record are encouraging, have a look at the tyres, which will presumably be original and may be suffering a bit from age. But low-mileage cars always mean a price premium - because most punters like that idea.

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - Adampr

The smart money is surely on it being a Nissan Qashqai.

Anyway, yes, definitely check oil and tyre condition. If it's a private sale, ask how often it's been driven. Check for rust all over and any damp smell. Start it up and see if the exhaust is clear etc. Make sure the coolant is nice and clean.

I'd you're trying to ascertain if it really is low mileage, it probably is. I would be more worried that it hasn't been driven enough.

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - alan1302

Why don't you just tell us the actual make and model?

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - De Sisti

Why don't you just tell us the actual make and model?

Plus the car's mileage and the price you're going to pay?

I’ll take a punt at a Nissan Cedric ?
Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - Steveieb

I bought a very low mileage 60 k twenty year old RAV 4 which looked in very good condition until I had owned it for a day and realised the clutch was heavy , and obviously worn.

Managed to get an agreement to get the clutch changed with contribution, thankfully from the dealer as it’s a ten hour job plus parts.

Now sorted and very happy with the car .

Sorry, didn’t think the model/make was important! It’s an Auris, ten years old and less than 10k on the clock.
Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - madf

rust,Rust,RUST

Around the rear wheelarches, rear suspension,rear floor, rear sill meeting rear wheelarhes.

Check oil filter has been changed and it has had regular oil changes. If it has been serviced on mileage only, it may have only been serviced once or twice!

Check MOT history on line. And mileage records on it.(clocked?)

Check handbrake and rear disks ok and work. Rusty disks ? Hmm.

Had bad experiences with old low mileage cars.

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - Andrew-T

rust,Rust,RUST - - Around the rear wheelarches, rear suspension,rear floor, rear sill meeting rear wheelarches. Yes, OK, worth checking

Check oil filter has been changed and it has had regular oil changes. If it has been serviced on mileage only, it may have only been serviced once or twice! - - 'regular' ? that could be every 5 years, but at this usage every 2 years would be fine, and perhaps a filter change with every other change of oil.

Check MOT history on line. And mileage records on it.(clocked?) - - Done !! clocking would be obvious !

Check handbrake and rear disks ok and work. Rusty disks ? .- - MoT would (should) have checked that.

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - edlithgow

Every 5 years for oil change would probably be fine.

Perhaps not so fine for brake fluid, but thats a commonly neglected service item anyway. irrespective of mileage.

I missed out on it after all that! Somebody obviously thought it was worth a punt.
Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - gordonbennet
I missed out on it after all that! Somebody obviously thought it was worth a punt.

Lesson those of us running Landcruisers find out by experience, when the right car calls to you from the page get there quickly inspect it and buy it before someone else does.

The only thing i'd really be wary of with Auris (and other Toyotas) if you are looking at the marque is that they are very popular as taxis, a car like that could easily be driven 50k miles a year for a couple of years and the odometer 'corrected' just before each MOT, Toyotas are hardwearing durable vehicles 100k miles would be shrugged off, as above the only real vice is corrosion under the body which will be worse the further North the car has lived its life.

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - Big John

rust,Rust,RUST

Around the rear wheelarches, rear suspension,rear floor, rear sill meeting rear wheelarhes.

Agreed re rust. A friends 07 Prius is looking ok on top ignoring a bit of aluminium corrosion(not rot) at the front of the bonnet but rust is taking a hold underneath near suspension, still passing MOTs (just) but rust has been mentioned on the past few advisories and they have been advised the end is near..... Pushing 200k miles it's been mechanically superb from new except a minor issue with the 12v car battery (not hybrid bit) and they are still averaging circa 63mpg.

Any - Very low mileage car - what to look out for - barney100

Very intriguing, know a bloke with a very old mx5 that gets little attention at all except mots. He's had it years and it just goes and goes... Goes against against any sane car ownership routine, never had an oil change and does mostly short trips.