What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Not worth the cost. - SLO76
Had a call from my darling mother yesterday to say that her 42,000 mile 2009 59 plate Honda Jazz which she’s had from new has failed its Mot due to structural rust underneath. This is a car that’s never seen a motorway, it doesn’t go out at night and almost never leaves the town, especially in icy salt covered roads, yet it is now rotten underneath despite a lifetime of sleeping in a dry garage.

It can be saved with a bit of welding, but when this is needed it’s pretty much curtains for the car as it’ll be rusting heavily elsewhere. It still looks ok on the body though, it’s mechanically perfect and is mint inside. Shame. I will fix it but it’s likely going to be traded in for something newer.

Now we get to the point of my ramblings. I decided to take a look at used prices for the Mk II Honda Jazz and I’m finding similar aged autos with similar miles at daft prices in excess of £7k in some cases! To me the price doesn’t reflect the likely lifespan left in many used cars on the market today. I’ve recently seen a 2009 Golf 1.4 up for £4,995 locally, again how much life is left in that? These are cars that would be sub £2,000 in a sane world with real risk priced in but today they’re two to three times their real value.

Now, do I fix it and try to convince her to keep it or is it time to offload it to keep her confidence in driving? Prices on replacements are absolutely daft at the moment and with demand very much outstripping supply on good small petrol engined cars I don’t see prices dropping back to sanity anytime soon and she doesn’t use it enough to warrant spending a lot of money.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/09/2023 at 19:22

Not worth the cost. - badbusdriver

No warnings of trouble ahead, i.e advisories, from its last MOT?.

Know what you mean about prices, and I have seen a mk2 Jazz at a garage near me priced at over £10k!. Very low miles, but still madness.

Take it to a trusted bodyshop and see what they say about the extent of the rust problems before deciding.

Not worth the cost. - Xileno

I was thinking similar - I would need to know whether the failure is a localised patch that once welded means you can get a few more years out of it. Or is the underneath bad but it's just that bit that's triggered the fail. The problem with welding is you can end up chasing it around the car each MOT. I have been down that road in my early motoring years. A real shame as otherwise it sounds a perfect car.

No warnings at all. It’s never had anything other than minor advisories, and nothing for rust at all. To be fair, I’ve yet to look at it myself. It’ll be easy enough sorted by my wee local independent I’d imagine, but would I pay £4/5/6k for a 13/14yr old Honda Jazz or any other small car knowing it could be one step from the sc*** yard? Nope. Nor would I advise her to pay £25k upwards for a new Jazz. A used Mk III may be an option as will be the Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto and Toyota Aygo/Yaris. But I’m horrified at the money being asked for everything and there’s little to be found privately these days other than garbage or write-off’s the dealers or WBAC don’t want other than the occasional i**** who’s wanting retail money for their old motor. I’ll go take a look at it tomorrow, see if it’s as bad as the garage told her.
Not worth the cost. - _

We are considering selling our Venga as insurance, tax and everything and doing so few miles in it now,

2011. many scratches all around from our friend the previous owner who lost her licence due to dementia. Mechanically good and a good service history till 2 years ago and ony 2000 miles since. I have the bits for my neighbour to service it..

Believe it or not it would sell for about £4000-4500 in the south east if I got my mate Kevin to respray @ £700.

I may well get him to do it as it will look better too for anyone. Then on Gumtree.

[Removed blank lines]

Edited by Xileno on 02/09/2023 at 20:46

Not worth the cost. - John F
No warnings at all. It’s never had anything other than minor advisories, and nothing for rust at all. To be fair, I’ve yet to look at it myself.

I would lay odds that if it's had no previous rust advisories there will be nothing that a very few hundred poundsworth of welding wouldn't fix. I'm sure you are expert enough to distinguish between rust than can be halted with an afternoon's wire-brushing plus a coat of something appropriate and the point -of -no-return bodyrot with large scabs of rust detaching when poked with a large screwdriver.

No warnings at all. It’s never had anything other than minor advisories, and nothing for rust at all. To be fair, I’ve yet to look at it myself.

I would lay odds that if it's had no previous rust advisories there will be nothing that a very few hundred poundsworth of welding wouldn't fix. I'm sure you are expert enough to distinguish between rust than can be halted with an afternoon's wire-brushing plus a coat of something appropriate and the point -of -no-return bodyrot with large scabs of rust detaching when poked with a large screwdriver.

I’ll report back when I get a look under it. They may have been trying to frighten her into another motor, though to date they’ve been good to her.
Not worth the cost. - RJ414i

I would normally say fix and sell cos it's going to happen next (mot) time. But like you say are they trying to scare her into something newer? From no mention to rust failure in one year seems excessive.

If it's localised rust only and if it can be kept going for 3 or 4 years (with low mileage) for £200/300 a year patching it with current prices that might be a better option.

Not worth the cost. - Turkish_Emperor

I'm a self confessed Honda nut. My previous car was a 2002 Honda Accord which I'd held for 13 years and it too used to fail its MOT often due to welding and I'd just get it done as the car (not worth much) was just so damn reliable.

I was lucky in the last year I owned it, to find a mobile welder who was amazing and did the repairs for just £200 (everyone else was circa £450 - £500).

Maybe you can find the same?

I'm a self confessed Honda nut. My previous car was a 2002 Honda Accord which I'd held for 13 years and it too used to fail its MOT often due to welding and I'd just get it done as the car (not worth much) was just so damn reliable.

I was lucky in the last year I owned it, to find a mobile welder who was amazing and did the repairs for just £200 (everyone else was circa £450 - £500).

Maybe you can find the same?

I’ll know when I get a look, but from past experience once the welding kit comes out it’s in use almost every Mot. I’m just surprised it’s went so early. The Nissan Note I sold to my brother has done 50,000 more miles and is the same age yet it’s completely solid underneath.
Not worth the cost. - Big John

I'd be interested to know where it's failed as my sister has a 2011 Jazz.

I'm aware of a few potential bad mud traps on the Jazz especially around the rear wheelarches / inner wings.

Not worth the cost. - barney100

Get a repair quote from a reputable place then do the maths. Always cheaper to keep it.

Not worth the cost. - madf

I have a 2012 Jazz which is nearly immaculate underneath. It is regularly hosed under the rear wheel arches (especially round the petrol filler cap) . I also treat any under body rust with Dinitrol underneath. but it is garaged.

Failure points are usually the front of the rear wheel arch junction with sills.. Structural if floorpan near rear subframe anchorage points.

Not worth the cost. - FoxyJukebox
Dear SLO76
Get the welding jobby done this year , then, just before the MOT next year get a quote from WBAC.Sell before MOT.
Not worth the cost. - Moodyman
I recently bought a 61 plate Jazz (for the wife) to replace an 08 Yaris that was a no fault write off. 20k miles, one elderly lady owner, giving up driving due to age. Private sale. £5500. Similar cars are being advertised £7-9k.

Mine is immaculate . But, I did spot some surface rust in the rear wheel arch where paint had been chipped away by tyre throw. A few hours of wire brush on a drill, followed by Jenolite and metal paint, and she’s good for a while.

There is some cosmetic surface rust on the chassis, but that’s to be expected at this age. I was in two minds about reinstalling the small mudflaps at the wheel arch/sill juncture as they’re a mud trap.. But, they protect the sills from tyre throw so put them back on after working on the wheel arch. I will just hose the mud out regularly when cleaning.

I was a little peeved at the Yaris write off as I bought it 18 months ago with 40k miles, private sale in similar circumstances- elderly lady. There are very few good cars out there. There are lots of abused examples being advertised for silly money.

I’d happily spent a little money ion welding so long as the rest of car was ok.
Not worth the cost. - expat

You could let her have a try driving your Leaf. I don't know what the instrument panel, etc are like on an electric car but if it is not like a jumbo jet controls she might like it. From what you are saying about the Leaf it sounds good for local motoring. As for the Jazz - rust never sleeps but you might be able to keep it at bay for another year or so.

Not worth the cost. - Steveieb

Would be interested in where the Jazz was built SLO.

From memory the 06 / 07 were built in China , 59 plate probably in Swindon but some still came from Japan.

Does the build location actually matter? Genuine question, not being facetious.

I often read Japanese-made cars are better built vs British made ones. And they get less rust treatment than British assembled because Japan doesn’t salt the roads. How truthful is this?

One would think Japanese made cars for Europe would get adequate rust treatment.

I believe pre-2009 Jazz for the UK were made in Japan. Post 2009 in Swindon.
Just spent an interesting couple of hours car shopping with mother dear. Looked at a 2018 Hyundai i10 1.0 SE (£8695) which was much nicer to drive than her Jazz and much more civilised inside than an Aygo/C1/108. It drove perfectly and looks very clean, with only a couple of minor scuffs to detract from it. The service record however was typical PCP/Lease car, as in it wasn’t main dealer and there’s one fake stamp at year 4 when it no doubt came to the end of term (the dealer has also serviced it since) and the previous keeper had drilled a hands free car cradle to the top of the dash which kills any deal stone dead. The manager is arranging to have it repaired and has offered £1,500 for her 2009 Jazz with no Mot which is very decent. I’d opt for an i10 but I’d probably ask him to find another.

We then looked at a Peugeot 108 but this was rejected because she felt it was cheap and nasty inside. I rate these wee cars, but they are built down to a price. We then moved on to a Kia Picanto 1.0 base model, which was a very tidy little car with dealer history and 4yrs of warranty left. A good car, but then ones elderly mother dear decided that she doesn’t want change and wants another Jazz.

Next stop was the local Honda dealer to try a Mk III Jazz. This was dismissed due to cost and it being “much larger” than her car. So, we’re now left with only two options, fix her own car or find another newer Mk II that’s done less miles than her own - I think it has 39k up. So it’s going in for a wee bit of welding next week at the usual weak point on the offside sill just forward of the rear arch, it’s hardly the disaster the garage suggested to her. I took a good look at her wee car and it’s otherwise very sound so it’ll be mend and make do for now, but I will keep an eye out for a nice low mileage Mk II.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/09/2023 at 14:59

Not worth the cost. - Steveieb

Will your mother missed the silky smoothness of the four cylinder Jazz to be replaced by the missing torque low down in three cylinder cars ?

Did earlier I 10 s have four cylinders later to be replace by the three?

You could let her have a try driving your Leaf. I don't know what the instrument panel, etc are like on an electric car but if it is not like a jumbo jet controls she might like it. From what you are saying about the Leaf it sounds good for local motoring. As for the Jazz - rust never sleeps but you might be able to keep it at bay for another year or so.

Too big and too complex for her now. If I could jump in a Time Machine and bring back a new base model Honda Jazz from 2009 she’d be delighted.
Not worth the cost. - daveyK_UK
First of all, thank you for updating the forum

Locally there has been a 51 plate red Fiesta with 22,000 miles positioned at the front of an independents sales pitch for months, advertised at £4995!

I have drove past it for months and commented it will never sell.

Well only a few weeks ago, there it was on a Saturday morning in Morrisons car park in use by a elderly couple.

Im amazed its lasted so long being a push rod engine not to mention those fiestas where renowned for rust.

I have no idea what it sold for but that is one of the best examples of over priced cars i can think of.

I forgot to add, one way to avoid the price rise is to buy an accident damaged car.
If your planning to keep it for a good few years, you find the accident damage pictures to see what happened (buy a report) and you find a decent repairer you can often save 50-60%.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 03/09/2023 at 15:21

Not worth the cost. - bathtub tom
one way to avoid the price rise is to buy an accident damaged car. If your planning to keep it for a good few years, you find the accident damage pictures to see what happened (buy a report) and you find a decent repairer you can often save 50-60%.

I wouldn't do that. I know a few folk who thought that was a good path to go down, only to regret it when they rotted teminally. The problem seems to be the repaired areas aren't as well protectected from corrosion as new. Also, any welding can't be fully protected if it's in a hidden spot, as the heat will destroy any existing protection.

Thats sad to read

I have only heard good experiences, i think the key is lots of research and having a repairer/seller with a good reputation.

For example, last summer (think it was June 22), Vauxhall Astra 1.4 turbo petrol design trim for £4.9k (it was advertised at £5k) with a full MOT.
The hpi report he paid for showed the copart advert including photos of all the damage.

It would not be my first choice of car but he’s had no issues so far , he had to pay for an aircon re-gas this summer.

Not worth the cost. - badbusdriver
Thats sad to read I have only heard good experiences, i think the key is lots of research and having a repairer/seller with a good reputation.

Even a repair by a well regarded bodyshop is not going to be able to match the factory for rust resistance. If they were to spend a lot of time and money treating the car with a proper anti rust product, maybe. But at the end of the day, it is highly unlikely they would go to that much trouble, they are doing it to make money after all.

Any write-off will almost certainly have been cheaply repaired by a non-insurance approved workshop using pattern parts which simply don’t fit correctly or have the same rust resistance as the original parts. I wouldn’t touch one and I can spot them a mile off, they’re never right and no one wants them when you come to sell it on.

The only time I’d consider a write-off would be on an older sub £2,000 car that has been deemed an uneconomic repair because of a simple parking knock etc. Any car at £5k plus would need to have suffered a substantial hit in order to have been written-off. It’s just not something I’d buy or recommend to anyone. I’ve yet to see one that was right.
Not worth the cost. - Random

SLO, would it make sense to have the Jazz waxoyled or similar to help prolong its life I can recommend Lanoguard, incredibly easy to use, although ideally should be applied every year.

A neighbour has a 2009 Jazz, bought new, just 43,000 miles covered, no mention of rust yet on any MOT.

SLO, would it make sense to have the Jazz waxoyled or similar to help prolong its life I can recommend Lanoguard, incredibly easy to use, although ideally should be applied every year.

A neighbour has a 2009 Jazz, bought new, just 43,000 miles covered, no mention of rust yet on any MOT.

Really only worthwhile if you do it when the car is new or nearly new. A few days ago my mother had a 2009 Honda Jazz, bought new with no mentions of rust on any Mot.
SLO…with this mind (write off repairs)…what would you say to repairing my 08 Yaris. Deemed uneconomical to repair and awaiting final valuation by insurance. A bodywork place that buys salvage cars to repair and resell has given an estimate of circa £500. This involves replacement drivers front wing, light and wheel bearing, right strut and front bumper.

It has only done 60k miles and drove perfectly prior to crash. I’ve no intention of reselling the car and will instead be using it as a workhorse til death.

Edited by Moodyman on 03/09/2023 at 23:46

SLO…with this mind (write off repairs)…what would you say to repairing my 08 Yaris. Deemed uneconomical to repair and awaiting final valuation by insurance. A bodywork place that buys salvage cars to repair and resell has given an estimate of circa £500. This involves replacement drivers front wing, light and wheel bearing, right strut and front bumper. It has only done 60k miles and drove perfectly prior to crash. I’ve no intention of reselling the car and will instead be using it as a workhorse til death.

Wee cheap but reliable car like that is well worth repairing for £500. I’d fix it.
Not worth the cost. - De Sisti
SLO…with this mind (write off repairs)…what would you say to repairing my 08 Yaris.

Wee cheap but reliable car like that is well worth repairing for £500. I’d fix it.

I initially thought you were asking @SLO to fix your car.

Not worth the cost. - Surreydriver

Interesting read. Mrs SD has a 2005 plate 1.4 CVT Jazz that has just passed its MOT running even cleaner than last year. No advisories. Bought at 6 months old from local Honda dealer. We are prepared to buy a '14 or '15 plate to replace it, and fully expected to again this year. It has rust on the rear doors (hidden when shut) and early in its MOT life the surface rust on the underside was mentioned in conversation with our (then) go-to local indie. She also thinks the newer versions are "too big" (who am I to argue ?) It is the longest we've ever owned a motorised vehicle. We had a major issue early on when the fuel pressure regulator was damaged during a dealer service and later on, some misfiring; cured by running the plugs at a smaller gap than recommended. I service the car now. Not the greatest drive but almost irreplaceable....

Not worth the cost. - gordonbennet

That Honda i'd get it welded properly not just a quick fix for this MOT and then get someone to wash and clean the underside then blast it fully with chain lube or some other oil product including every orifice/cavity.

Once rust has a start the more solid treatments, eg Dinitrol/Bilt Hamber/Waxoyl/Lanoguard, arn't effective enough in my experience unless you are prepared to inspect and recoat every year, you need oil based to seep right into the seams, plus a recoat oil spray takes minutes not hours.

I've used various treatments over many years, i find Bilt Hambers cavity waxes are one of the best for cavities because the probes that come with their large aerosols (which never block) allow full coverage inside sills doors boot/bonnet and cavities.

For underbody coverage of anything other than new or JDM import (never seen salt), i now use waterproof marine grease hand lathered onto chassis suspension and high abrasion areas, and use ACF50 as a whole underbody spray once or twice a year, not forgetting to paint the exhaust with zinc.

My method is time consuming first time and initially expensive because ACF50 isn't cheap by any means nor is Bilt Hamber's finest, you probably won't want to get that involved.

For your Honda situation SLO i reckon a competent welder sorting out the immediate issues and using his judgement to sort out any further weakening areas, followed by a good coating in chain lube or similar oil that Honda will be around for a good few years yet, if its costs £1000 this year for the above thats nothing compared to the cost of a replacement vehicle at todays ridiculous prices...plus unless you travel to get a south of England car the chances are you'll end up in the same boat a few short years down the line after spending £xxxx on said replacement.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/09/2023 at 13:27

After calling round local garages and finding none do welding, the two recommendations I received are snowed under for 4-6wks with work and are “not looking for more” combined with the very generous £1,500 offer for her car (with no Mot) from the A/C branch she’s used since her car was new and the decision has been made to buy a red Mk III Jazz with 19,000 miles they’ve just brought in for her from another branch. The staff here are genuinely very good and the deal is pretty fair. Plus it should save me any hassle over the next few years. Her wee car will no doubt live on via some small backstreet dealer with the ability to fix it.
Not worth the cost. - Metropolis.
SLO, have you considered a Japanese import Honda Jazz (possibly a Fit?) they are like new underneath, you could buy one and then have it professionally under sealed ( I do recommend dinitrol and not waxoyl)
Paint Zinc on an exhaust?

You learn something new every day!
Not worth the cost. - gordonbennet
Paint Zinc on an exhaust? You learn something new every day!

Zinc paint paying particular attention to welds, it goes crinkly and looks a bit pants but helped keep the tin worm at bay...probably more effective with Diesels which don't suffer corrosion from inside to the same extent as petrol engines.

Not worth the cost. - madf

I use VHT paint on our exhausts Our 20 years old Yaris is on its original one as is our 11 year old Jazz.,