What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - Mickyplum
Hi, had a new alternator fitted 18 months ago, clocked up 20,000 miles and bearings shot to bits so had to have it replaced. Contacted garage but fobbed off with basically tough as” passed the 12 months warranty”. Personally I believe it to contravene the consumer act 2015. Thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - badbusdriver

If the alternator was a known brand you may get some form of goodwill gesture from the maker?

Otherwise, I think you will just have to put up with it. But possibly try a different garage (look at customer reviews on Google, Facebook etc) and/or ensure a better quality replacement alternator.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - elekie&a/c doctor
What make was the replacement alternator? There are loads of cheap rebuilds out there .
Thanks for your reply, make was Lucas and was billed as new @ £217. It’s not the cost as much as attitude from a reputable garage.
Also following on from my last post, the garage would not advise me who supplied the item in question, which was the only thing I very politely asked for.
Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - elekie&a/c doctor
Lucas is a fairly poor quality product these days . Probably of dubious Chinese origin . Your contract for the supplied alternator is with the garage, they have no obligation to tell you where it was purchased.
Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - bathtub tom

Goods supplied should be of a reasonable quality and last a reasonable time!

Stuff the guarantee, and go for the supply of goods!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - catsdad

Having a potential legal right is one thing and enforcing it is another. I doubt Trading Standards would take up a case like this and is it worth the hassle of the Small Claims court where there is no guarantee of winning?
Sticking an honest but poor review online might be the best option but given their poor attitude to date I doubt the garage will respond or rectify the problem.
It’s hard to see where to go next and you may just have to put it behind you unfortunately. Just a thought, if you paid by credit card they might help you.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - pd

It's unfortunate but things sometimes fail. They could maybe have fitted a higher quality alternator but then no doubt they'd have charged more.

I'm sorry but after 20,000 miles and over a year I think you have zero comeback and the garage is quite correct unless the alternator had some sort of specific guarantee above 12 months.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - skidpan

Lucas stopped making alternators in the UK back in the early 90's, no idea where production went.

Both Caterham's were fitted with Lucas alternators and they never lasted long, 3 years at the most, a few weeks if you were unlucky, always kept a spare. Some time in about 2004 I picked up a "new" Lucas unit, I needed more amps when I fuel injected the car but it did not last long but at the time I did not have a spare higher amp unit. Picked up a disgusting looking Valeo unit off an ancient Transit from a sc***py, what a revelation 14.4 volts charge after start up, the Lucas ones never managed any more than 13.7 volts. Unfortunately the local branch of the auto electrical factors I that supplied Lucas units closed and their nearest branch was about 70miles away, Lucas sat in the garage for a few years. Eventually decided should get the Lucas looked at (did not expect the Valeo to last forever) and wife took it to the local auto electrical reconditioner. Took one look at the Lucas unit and commented that they should be prosecuted for selling them as "reconditioned" or even "new". Took it apart and showed her how all the internals were well worn or simply knackered. Tested rectifier box which was kaput. Charged her £10 to sort it.

In 2010 a chap up our street gave me a Denso unit off a 1980's Daihatsu Charade GTTi. They were the alternator that everyone was fitting so despite it looking disgusting I made up some new brackets, added a wire for the warning light and fitted it. Its still on the car 13 years later, still gives 14.4 volts after start up (drops to 14.1 when hot running) and makes no noises.

Sold Valeo (which was still working fine but looked disgusting) and Lucas (never been fitted after local chap repaired it) on e-bay (about £30), bought spare Denso unit (not as disgusting as the one on the car) off e-bay (£14).

But even Denso suffer from companies selling r****** copies that fail and produce low volts. The ones on e-bay are mostly fakes, the "Nippon Denso" sticker gives the game away, Denso stopped using that name in the 80's or 90's when they started making more parts for European motors.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - Steveieb

My repair shop has ceased fitting new parts from EBay resulting in long waits for genuine parts from Germany.

Similar story sourcing lawn mower pattern parts IMHO . It seems a waste of everyone’s time judging by past experience.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - pd

There are parts for some cars which have been unavailable for 2 years.

It's one of the reasons insurance has gone up so much - it's costing a fortune in hire cars whilst cars are off the road awaiting parts.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - FiestaOwner

I was able to dismantle the alternator from my mk2 Fiesta and replace the bearings in it myself. Wonder if this is still a DIY option with more modern alternators.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - gordonbennet

Alternator died on my Landcruiser (the only actual part failure out of all the Toyota 4x4's i've had over more than 25 years), took it off and round to the local sparky for overhaul if possible, straight away he spotted a hairline crack in the unit casting, and within an hour had a Lucas recon unit there for £120ish which i duly fitted, some 3 or more years later its still going fine.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Alternator - Steveieb

May I ask the name of your auto electrician GB.

I live close to Wellingborough