New VW Passat - daveyK_UK
I like the Passat, I think the current Passat it’s the best car VAG manufacturer , I have little doubt the new 9th gen Passat will also be a good car.

However, reading the various press write up about the new Passat, what struck me is the European starting price in Germany.
The new Passat when it goes on sale early next year will start from €40k!

I’m hoping that it will have a healthy discount like the current model otherwise I can’t see it being a sales winner at €40k for the base model
New VW Passat - Sofa Spud

Apparently it's only going to be available as an estate car. That's what I'd go for if I was buying one anyway.

New VW Passat - Adampr

A current model Passat estate is north of £35, which is about €40k.

You could get a brand new passat estate base model for £25.2k in April with discounts, I found a dealer that beat the drive the deal discount.

Don’t get me wrong, £25.2k for a bottom of the range passat was hardly a bargain

I think the list price was £28k, I will need to check the quote

They are not offering the hase spec anymore as they run out the last of the mark 8 passats

New VW Passat - skidpan

Don’t get me wrong, £25.2k for a bottom of the range passat was hardly a bargain

I think the list price was £28k, I will need to check the quote

List price of the cheapest Passat (1.5 TSi EVO SE Nav DSG) is currently £35,355 and after discounts and contributions its drops to approx £29,500. Quite a rise in 4 months.

In comparison the bigger Superb Estate in a similar spec would cost about £25,500. Personally I know which I would be buying.

New Superb out later this year as well.

3 years ago when we bought the Superb iV discounts on the Passat GTE PHEV were massive. At that time there was not a great difference between the Superb and Passat price wise.

Because the mark 8 model range of the Passat is coming to an end, VW are only offering it in 1 version

Up until this summer, you could get it in multiple different trims and configurations at far cheaper list prices and inevitably discounted price

So £35k list is not a true reflection of what the current mark 8 Passat is priced at , this is simply the run out model

Based on my quote the cheapest list price for a Passat estate was £28k, the new model will be considerably more expensive.

It’s a shame as no doubt it will be a good estate car but like most newer car models the increased costs will make it less affordable for regular families