Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - HGV ~ P Valentine

" Advice: This car blocks the path when they charge their vehicle. I can't get by with my mam, who is in a wheelchair, unless I use the road" #parking #uk

For those who are regular here you know I hate electric cars, there is a post on facebook showing a car parked outside a terrace house, with a charging cable running from the house to the car, across a public pathway.

Now I want you to imagine when you drive down a side road, or if you live in a terrace house like most people do half of those houses doing the same thing. then imagine 3/4 ( 75% ).

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - Metropolis.
If only there were some kind of plentiful fuel we could use that didn’t need wires and could give you a circa 500 mile range in a couple of minutes? It would be revolutionary.
Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - Adampr

Seems like a weird thing to 'hate'. In this case, the issue seems to be inconsiderate people doing things that they shouldn't. Plenty of that going on.

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - Chris M

Think we will see a lot more of this inconsiderate behaviour. Yesterday I walked past an on street charging bollard with a Mitsubishi PHEV attached. Cable was running along the pavement, not in the way, but not completely out of it either. I thought the owner could have kicked it under the car to be safer. Our local Tesco Extra has four chargers in the middle of the covered car park. Always busy as they are "free" or as I prefer to view it, paid for by all the other customers. Cables are left trailing all over the floor and I can't help thinking it's an accident waiting to happen. Don't know why how Tesco's H&S don't have kittens as they are hot on "spillage in aisle 3" announcements.

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - Andrew-T

Cables are left trailing all over the floor and I can't help thinking it's an accident waiting to happen. Don't know why how Tesco's H&S don't have kittens as they are hot on "spillage in aisle 3" announcements.

Anyone who works in an industrial environment will (should) have had safety training about trailing cables or pipes - I did, over 50 years ago now. But the thinking seems to evaporate when people are at home or in public places ? Or are they just in too much hurry ?

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - mcb100
‘If only there were some kind of plentiful fuel we could use that didn’t need wires and could give you a circa 500 mile range in a couple of minutes? It would be revolutionary.’

How do you do 500 miles at 20mpg? Auxiliary tanks?

Edited by mcb100 on 27/08/2023 at 11:51

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - FP

"...if you live in a terrace house like most people do..."

Do you really believe that?

Proportion of housing stock that is terraced: 26.3% (tinyurl.com/34d3u4ah)

I think you're getting a little carried away, which doesn't help your case. You will be aware that there are alternatives to charging an EV at home - more expensive and time-consuming, no doubt. Whether there will ever be a situation where 75% of terrace houses are attempting to charge their EV using a cable across the pavement is questionable and there's always the other 73.7% of housing stock which won't need to do that.

Still, the EV debate offers plenty of opportunities for outrage, real or manufactured.

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - barney100

There are many living in flats, tower blocks and other living accommodation alternatives so 73% seems a little optimistic.

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - mcb100
May I present the Gul-e?

gul-e.co.uk/

And, as above, inconsiderate drivers everywhere in all types of vehicles.

Edited by mcb100 on 27/08/2023 at 11:49

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - skidpan

For those who are regular here you know I hate electric cars

What about those ICE car owners who park in EV charging places in car parks probably because of their hatred of EV's

Are you one of those I wonder?

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - Sofa Spud

Why would one 'hate' electric cars?

Compared to petrol and diesel cars they are generally:

Easier to drive, quieter, better packaged**, cleaner, cheaper to run and have less to go wrong.

On the downside, I admit they are:

More expensive to buy and charging is not always conveniently available.

I still drive a diesel car and my next car will probably also be diesel because secondhand Tesla Model 3's and Y's are still out of my price range, but I expect my next-but-one car to be an EV.

** If designed from the ground up as an EV, that is.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 27/08/2023 at 17:35

Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - SLO76
“ More expensive to buy”

Not necessarily, the Nissan Leaf is no dearer used than an equivalent petrol or diesel hatchback. There are compromises to be made if you travel long distance but for 99% of needs it’s a very decent car.
Charging - Electric ( yuk ) - skidpan
“ More expensive to buy” Not necessarily, the Nissan Leaf is no dearer used than an equivalent petrol or diesel hatchback. There are compromises to be made if you travel long distance but for 99% of needs it’s a very decent car.

Just done the deal on the new Golf eTSi 150 DSG and having read the above looked at how much a new Leaf would actually cost.

Retail is exactly the same at £30,500. Discount and PCP contribution on Golf, PCP or 0% finance on Leaf. Quick tap suggests that the Golf is about £4000 less.

Leaf would without doubt cost us less to fuel charging at 9.5 per unit on Octopus Go, based on experience with Superb iV suggests about £600 for 15,000 miles. Petrol for 15,000 miles at 48 mpg would be about £2100 at current prices.

Then there would be servicing and depreciation but no idea really.

Overall not much difference but probably favours the Golf.

But the range of the standard Leaf is terrible, 171 miles in the city which would plummet on the motorway. The trips we do to see the uncle and take him shopping or to the hospital can be 120 miles (mostly motorway then urban/rural mix) which could be close to the real range or very close to it.

So while we are keen on electric in the long term its a way off for us yet.

Perhaps next time.