No Brainer - Train VS Car - _

Planned a Journey to near Bristol for next month.

Car £84 ish in Fuel plus 3.5 hours driving if I am lucky......£16 to park for 2 days

Train 1 month off peak return £42.00 senior rail card.

Same travel time. 10 minute walk at each end for stations.

I'm getting to be a fan of the train for these journeys.

Sending SWMBO and her sister off to York next week, also by train, using network rail card,

also a lot better and again not paying for 4 or 5 days parking.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - movilogo

Not everyone can get discounted rail fare.

If multiple people are travelling, car is usually still cheaper overall.

2 -4 travellers Network rail card and other ways of booking with multiple travellers.

Yes, Horses for courses and useful where start and end destinations close to stations.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Bromptonaut

There are an awful lot of railcards available - not just for the young or old. I had one for years as I held an Annual Season Ticket.

There are also a wide range of fares. Fully flexible open return at one end of the scale via various off peak options to tickets on a specific train. Most of those fares can be reduced further with a railcard.

Not seen it offered recently but for a long time we had something that allowed discounts for groups - Groupsave? Damn good value for trips 'en famille' to London.

Went to Liverpool from Northampton a few years ago for <£20 return.

Rail not always cheaper of course, and it's better if you know your way around the system but definitely needs checking

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Engineer Andy

2 -4 travellers Network rail card and other ways of booking with multiple travellers.

Yes, Horses for courses and useful where start and end destinations close to stations.

What also makes a BIG difference is where you live and final destination is, as whether or not you:

Live anywhere near the local station - adds time, plus the expense of car parking, assuming you can even find a space when you go (or you have to leave a lot earlier to 'guarantee' one - some little rural stations have just a handful of spaces if any);

Whether that or any of the lines you need to use along said journey are 'branch' lines (minor, few services outside of weekday rush hour periods);

You need to change trains more than once, meaning you either have to leave a lot of time in case of delays or risk missing a connection and possibly waiting for a long time (if there's another train that day at all to where you need to go);

Whether part of the journey takes you into a major city hub (e.g. London), often in completely the wrong direction, requiring lots of interchanges and lugging bags etc all over the gaff. Also can add a significant time and cost to a journey, even with railcards and going off peak.

I recall looking up a going by train a few years ago to a hospital work visit in the Crawley area and found it would neccessitate me to catch a train around 5.30am (for a meeting at 9am) and costed more than driving down the night before (much easier, no traffic after 8pm) and staying overnight (including breakfast) at a local Tavelodge.

Not quite as bad now in terms of time (45 mins less due to -->) / interchanges (previously 3, now 1-2), as there's the interchange tunnel between the Great Northern and Thameslink lines near the Kings Cross / St Pancras, and with fuel prices being a good deal higher, the £65 return price doesn't look that bad.

I'd probably still go for the car journey, especially if an employer was paying and there was not much in it cost wise, plus the near guarantee of being on time with the car journey, as the hospital was within walking distance of the hotel and the nice fry-up breakfast...

I certaintly wouldn't want to enbark of long holiday journeys with a load of luggage in tow via train, even if it were cheaper. Especially where the final destination isn't right next to a well-served station (lugging it all around and/or extortionate mini cab fares)..

To visit my parents at the opposite end of Hertfordshire (about 36 miles away by car on major roads [quickest route, 45-50 mins out of the rush hour]) would take 1.5hrs minimum (1-2 changes), needing to go into and back out of London, and would cost me £33. The fuel cost would be about £15. Far worse comparison for a weekend visit, given the tickets are far more expensive (£44) despite doing the same route the same number of times.

If the weather's conducive and I was up to it, then I might cycle it (and have done - once last autumn [40 miles each way, avoiding major roads]).

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Andrew-T

A|ll good - provided the unions co-operate .... :-(

I can remember using the train on 4 occasions to collect different Pug 205s, to be driven back here 150 or 240 miles from Devon, Somerset or Lincolnshire :-))

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/08/2023 at 17:41

No Brainer - Train VS Car - nick62

As a single traveller going to the odd game on a Saturday afternoon, by using split tickets and a Senior Railcard, I've yet to pay a rail fare that would cover my fuel costs, (never mind parking).

Also means I can have a pint or three.

By using the slower London Northwestern trains service from Liverpool (change at Crewe), I can get to London and back off-peak with a Zones 1-6 London Travelcard for £37.75, which is an absolute bargain.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - mickyh7

You can fit 5 people in most cars so cost ÷ 5 = £20 each!

And just hope the many strikes don’t ruin your plans!

Edited by mickyh7 on 21/08/2023 at 18:07

No Brainer - Train VS Car - SLO76
No traffic and you can have a peaceful drink as you travel too. I favour the train over trying to battle my way down the motorway. If they were genuinely serious about slashing emissions though they’d either subsidise fares or nationalise it to offer cheap travel for everyone - may require tough anti-strike laws to work though.
No Brainer - Train VS Car - FP

I'm contemplating a journey from here (Hertfordshire) to Dover and return in the near future - date uncertain. (It's not a European trip.)

I would need to take a reasonably large and heavy musical instrument in a suitcase-style case and, depending on what transactions take place, may need to return with that and another, similar one. The sheer awkwardness and fair amount of weight involved, especially as I would need to use the bus from here to the station (and again on return) mean that I am leaning towards using the car, despite the stress of the M25 and the expense of the Dartford crossing.

The train journey would be as quick as the car and cheaper (£34 against roughly £40), but even the incentive of avoiding the M25 does not trump the inconvenience of handling the instruments on public transport. If it was just the one instrument I think I'd take the bus and train.

Edited by FP on 21/08/2023 at 19:04

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Adampr

We tend to take the train on journeys where we don't need a car at the other end. Mostly trips into London, but also visiting friends etc.

It certainly isn't cheaper (although we do have a family Railcard, which helps) but it's worth every penny to not listen to an eight year old complaining in the car. Sorry, I mean it's worth every penny to ensure my son's happiness.

Not many people are aware of the GROUP SAVE discount:

www.nationalrail.co.uk/tickets-railcards-offers/pr.../

So long as a minimum of THREE adults are travelling together AT ALL TIMES, you can get a 34% discount on most fares. No railcard required.

Good luck buying this when they've closed all the ticket offices though!

Edited by nick62 on 21/08/2023 at 19:26

Not many people are aware of the GROUP SAVE discount:

www.nationalrail.co.uk/tickets-railcards-offers/pr.../

Mentioned that upthread though I wasn't sure it was still a current thing.

Saved us a bit going into London when 'kids' were home from Uni or whatever.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Metropolis.
Each to their own, I could not think of a worse way to travel. Car every time for me unless I fly abroad.
No Brainer - Train VS Car - RJ414i

My Wife and Daughter have just been to Wembley to watch The Weeknd. They travelled from Lydney in Gloucestershire to Paddington then on to Wembley, cost of £85 (booked early) with a rail card.

If they had caught the later train (09:15 compared to 07:50) they could have done the trip for £65. There is no way with the Congestion Charge, fuel and parking that the car was ever coming off the drive.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Ethan Edwards

Well usually I'm firmly on the Car side, trains really aren't for me. After 20 years commuting to London in sweaty crowded carriages,tube trains etc.

But an odd thing happened to me when I joined my present ( and final) employer. I found that when they wanted me somewhere and they were prepared to pay the rail fare , train travel got a whole lot more pleasant. Now I didn't care that its appalling value for money, delays? What do I care I'm being paid to be here.

I still avoid train travel ( especially peak times) but maybe its a different attitude to it.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - edlithgow

They tend to come out on top in collisions too.

OTOH, Once upon a time I took a train to a job interview in Newcastle, my last one in The Yook.

Thought of taking the car (from Edinburgh straight run down the A1) but...hm...reliable (Nissan Sunny) but still a banger...so "played safe" with the train. Less stress,Simpler for claiming expenses, too, (though not always offered, and sometimes offered and then not delivered, they were in this case.)

Standard (expensive) return to Newcastle (since not enough advance notice for APEX(?) cheaper fare) which they sold me while neglecting to mention that the line was completely broken, and what I had in fact bought was a couple of rather short train rides, a long bus ride, and some very long waits, My big safety margin disappeared several fold

Very late for that interview, which seemed to go well,

Didn;t get the job.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Terry W

I live in a small town about 8 miles from one of the UKs larger cities - Bristol. It is not the "back of beyond" - if trains are truly a workable proposition they should work for me.

It is 2 miles to the local station - so bus, taxi, drive and park. Most destinations (other than a few local) mean a short train journey to one of the main Bristol stations.

Even with discounted off peak fares a journey to central London costs as much as fuel and takes longer door to door. Two up in the car = no contest. Parking may be an issue.

Trains only sometimes work when departure and destination are close to stations. They are inflexible and time constrained. They consume large taxpayer subsidies - in contrast to motorists who pay tax on fuel and VED.

Transport needs a 21st century vision, not maintenance of a 19th century time served legacy. HS2 projects do not cut it - autonomous vehicles will allow routing of vehicle "strings" with power pick up whilst travelling.

Looking down the other end of Terry's telescope....

I live about 5 miles from Northampton which has frequent and reasonably fast trains to London and Birmingham both with a few intermediate stops.

Even at commuter fares - season ticket - parking alone in Central London would cost more and I can work, think or sleep on the train. Birmingham is a bit closer on cost but had I ended up working there, as I might when potentially redeployed ten years ago, it'd still have been the train.

Milton Keynes is on the same line but offers more destinations to the north - Manchester etc.

We can also drive in half an hour or so to Wellingborough for stations to Leicester or to Banbury with services to Southampton via Reading/Basingstoke and one change to PLymouth/Penzance. Not necessarily cheap options themselves but a damn sight easier than driving with kids at Uni or working away.

Taxpayer subsidies are an open question. Neither fuel tax or VED are hypothecated to roads etc. The current set up on the railways allows the train operators to laugh all the way to their owners banks in Paris and Amsterdam.

HS2 made sense for capacity - speed is incidental. Pre pandemic the lines out of Kings Cross and Euston were full. It's a long term project with cost spread accordingly.

Well, I have a telescope right next to Terry's but ever so slightly longer.....I live about 12 miles from Bristol and 2 miles from the station. The drunken walk home takes 40 miserable minutes.

Anyway, I'm going to London on Friday. The train takes 1h56 into Paddington and the wonderful Elizabeth Line. It will take me 10 minutes to get to the station and park. Parking costs £3.60. It will cost a lot more than driving, but driving would take longer, I won't be able to sleep or read and I won't be able to park.

I think I probably agree that ours is a rubbish public transport system, but it works quite nicely as an option for the lazy.

[Blocked text put in - Mod]

Edited by Xileno on 22/08/2023 at 10:23

Trains .... are inflexible and time constrained. They consume large taxpayer subsidies - in contrast to motorists who pay tax on fuel and VED.

Transport needs a 21st century vision, not maintenance of a 19th century time served legacy.

That difference in financing is the main reason for the Beeching axe of the 1960s which demolished most of our minor tracks, many of which (with hindsight) should not have been built. But our railways have always been seen as businesses which had to break even to survive, while owning a horse and carriage was always a personal choice made at one's own expense. With such different economic assumptions it is hard to make valid cost comparisons between car and train. Of course instead of owning a car you might hire (or lease) instead - perhaps a more valid comparison.

SLO is the only one to point out that choosing to take the train makes an immediate saving in overall CO2, as the train will (probably) go whether you are on it or not. Your car doesn't.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - FoxyJukebox
Wouldn’t dream of booking advanced tickets these days however cheap.
Most engineering work is at the weekends, the Unions like to have a day off on Saturdays and if I leave my car in an empty station car park overnight-who’s to say I’ll find it untouched the next day- that’s if I’m lucky enough to have found the ticket machine working properly in the first place.
Yes--I could go by 25 min taxi to the station but that’s another £30( times 2)…and it needs to be booked weeks up front to be sure of getting one.

Wouldn’t dream of booking advanced tickets these days however cheap.
Unions like to have a day off on Saturdays

I didn't claim it was suitable for everyone. It isn't !

As I said, for myself, equal travel time and 8-10 minute walk each end. Less stress, Fine.

Cost about half of fuel.

SWMBO and sister going Colchester to york this weekend. A strike day so can travel friday instead of saturday at no extra charge. No problem there, or fully refundable. No problem there, either.

Where the figures add up, all good, where they don't, such as Colchester to Liverpool street on tickets bought on a weekend, (so off peak, even if 4 going,) not economical to drive and park and the cash for crash merchants hovering on the A11 or A12..

train makes an immediate saving in overall CO2

Not if the train is hauled by diesel locomotive!

After WFH became mainstream, I wonder why train companies and government do not reduce train fare so that more people would travel, seats are filled up and per person CO2 emission is reduced.

Or may be emission is secondary and profit margin of private companies is the primary goal.

After WFH became mainstream, I wonder why train companies and government do not reduce train fare so that more people would travel, seats are filled up and per person CO2 emission is reduced.

Or may be emission is secondary and profit margin of private companies is the primary goal.

It still does, because the train is going anyway and that the carbon emitted by hauling the additional weight of one person is marginal if anything.

I'm sure the Government would quite like people to get the train and reduce carbon emissions. Sadly, they sold the railways off to private companies that need to make a profit. There isn't much money to be made running railways, so it's a race to the bottom for those companies.

If we want a good train service, it needs to be nationalised and subsidised. Any would rather our taxes are spent elsewhere, so.it isn't.

<< the train is going anyway and that the carbon emitted by hauling the additional weight of one person is marginal if anything. >>

At a rough guess, about one-twelfth of an additional ton in 200 or more, say about 0.04 % ?

Logo - as I suggested, the train's CO2 will appear whether I am on it or not. If I drive I will add my own contribution !

Edited by Xileno on 22/08/2023 at 13:59

Interesting stats

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_rail_tr...e

UK has only 38% electrification where as countries which much longer route lengths have more e.g. China 67%, India 91%. Most of our EU friends are also ahead in electrification %.

Interesting stats

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_rail_tr...e

UK has only 38% electrification where as countries which much longer route lengths have more e.g. China 67%, India 91%. Most of our EU friends are also ahead in electrification %.

And?

And?

It would be better to focus on 100% railway electrification rather than tormenting common people with unrealistic/unnecessary net zero goals.

The government also planning to ban letting out properties worse than EPC = C rating from 2028. Trouble is, nearly half of rental stock in UK are so sold that they can't even qualify for EPC = A,B,C rating. This will affect landlords as well as tenants due to people having to force sell and tenants having to fight for fewer properties.

Heat pump is another failed attempt (replacing gas boilers).

Climate change may be real but the way of tackling it (mostly by shafting common people) is wrong.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - galileo

It was recently disclosed that senior Network Rail staff had spent £17000 on air fares travelling from Birmingham to Glasgow "because it was cheaper".

More credible reasons are: flights aren't affected by strikes, we don't have to mix with the common hoi polloi who use trains, we are specially entitled.

Edited by galileo on 22/08/2023 at 16:07

It was recently disclosed that senior Network Rail staff had spent £17000 on air fares travelling from Birmingham to Glasgow "because it was cheaper".

More credible reasons are: flights aren't affected by strikes, we don't have to mix with the common hoi polloi who use trains, we are specially entitled.

MRS Hoi Polloi and sister are indeed mixing with the Hoi Polloi next month.

Ryanair Stansted to Edinburgh. £49. something return.

As said before, Horses for Courses. Can't take Blodwen (our mad Collie) to Europe by train, or plane so drive.

UK where feasible the best method of transport for the ease of travelling time and cost ratio.

Sister coming from Chester Thursday, Split tickets £64 return. and I don't have to drive A14 to Rugby services Junction on the M6 to meet her daughter halfway and then the return next week.

........................................................ we don't have to mix with the common hoi polloi who use trains, we are specially entitled.

You've obviously not taken a UK domestic flight recently!

........................................................ we don't have to mix with the common hoi polloi who use trains, we are specially entitled.

You've obviously not taken a UK domestic flight recently!

We fly a lot with Ryanair all over Europe, To Amman, when they did it, (not direct) Madeira. all from Stansted. (Copenhagen next month)

Again, If you are aware of the quixotic rules with Ryanair there is no problem.

If Ryanair a bit delayed the Pilot (s) are authorized to catch up..

I have had 1 single problem with them in 25 years and that was wind/storm, so diverted.

Coach transfer onward sorted fairly quickly.

<< Climate change may be real but the way of tackling it (mostly by shafting common people) is wrong. >>

You make it sound as if that was the main purpose of the exercise. I think if any big effort is made to reduce or slow down the increasing CO2, it is likely that poorer people will feel more pain, but in the end everyone stands to benefit. It's hard to think of a nationwide CO2-reducing initiative which could include levelling-up side-effects.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - daveyK_UK
My problem with trains is motion sickness, I don’t get it when I’m driving or as a passenger in a car.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Moodyman
When combined with a bicycle to fill the gap between home>station or station>destination, then trains are brilliant. Especially if booked in advance.

I can regularly travel from Bradford/Leeds to London and then onwards to the South Coast for a Ferry to France, for as little as £20-£25 for both legs.

It would costs way more than that in my car and I would need to dismantle my bike to some extent and worry about parking too.

Turn up on the day and it would cost me near £200.
When combined with a bicycle to fill the gap between home>station or station>destination, then trains are brilliant.

That.

Exactly.

When combined with a bicycle to fill the gap between home>station or station>destination, then trains are brilliant.

That.

Exactly.

Perhaps, if you don't have much to carry with you, and/or the weather, terrain and roads there are conducive. Not so much otherwise, and especially on an already crowded train when you have nowhere to store said stuff, even a fold-up bicycle, paritcualrly at rush hour times on routes heavily used by students and holiday makers with bikes and luggage themselves.

many rural stations are poorly served and thus why so many people ironically drive to the nearest (often not that near) town (as many do my way) in order to stand a better chance in getting a seat and more services generally.

I recall on many occasions communting to Cambridge the train already being full of bicycles and people, often with no seats by the time I got on. Not so nice to have to endure a long journey standing up.

Not exactly safe either, given the are around the doors was regularly bloked by bicycles (even fold-up ones), etc. it also led to delays because of the extra time spent getting on/off the train.

The latest trains do have more space for such things (and don't have carpeted floors, so sitting on the floor down the centre aisle, as many used to, is now a no-no), but significantly at the expense of seating. Fine for the London Tube, not so good for the 1hr+ traveller wanting a bit of comfort.

Perhaps, if you don't have much to carry with you, and/or the weather, terrain and roads there are conducive. Not so much otherwise, and especially on an already crowded train when you have nowhere to store said stuff, even a fold-up bicycle, paritcualrly at rush hour times on routes heavily used by students and holiday makers with bikes and luggage themselves.

many rural stations are poorly served and thus why so many people ironically drive to the nearest (often not that near) town (as many do my way) in order to stand a better chance in getting a seat and more services generally.

I recall on many occasions communting to Cambridge the train already being full of bicycles and people, often with no seats by the time I got on. Not so nice to have to endure a long journey standing up.

Not exactly safe either, given the are around the doors was regularly bloked by bicycles (even fold-up ones), etc. it also led to delays because of the extra time spent getting on/off the train.

The latest trains do have more space for such things (and don't have carpeted floors, so sitting on the floor down the centre aisle, as many used to, is now a no-no), but significantly at the expense of seating. Fine for the London Tube, not so good for the 1hr+ traveller wanting a bit of comfort.

Like anything what you get for a given set of facts will vary with circumstance.

Peak trains into London, and probably other big cities too, ban full size bikes. So far as I know though folders, certainly those that fold small, are unrestricted.

The current trains serving Northampton are all variations on the Siemens Class 350. While most have 2+2 seating some have higher density 2+3. Never had an issue with my Brompton. Number of places it will go behind/between sets, otherwise it occupies space where the 'door sentries' would otherwise stand.

Except when I was at the last minute or the service was screwed up I pretty much never stood in well over 20 years. Roughly an hour each way.

A Brompton ain't cheap but there are ways of spreading the cost. Mine was acquired through Cycle to Work so paid in instalments and out of income before tax/NI to boot. Cost difference between a 'London Terminals' season and Travelcard I'd have had otherwise made it even better value. The front pannier, which can be carried like a briefcase, holds enough for a week's touring never mind a laptop and paper files.

Train on the bike with you is one option. A pair of cheap ones, the sort that have been abandoned at the tip, left at either end of the rail journey is another - very common in Milton Keynes.

Commuting to Cambridge, with students in the mix, may be a different ball game though I suspect that going towards London wasn't much different to Northampton.

Only time I've seen doors blocked has been suitcases the size of a fridge going to Birmingham Airport.

Still, it'd be a boring old world if everyone and all their experiences were identical.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Terry W

Cars and trains run on very different financial models, reflected in the costs to the consumer and the choices they make.

The costs of running a rail network are 95%+ fixed in the short and medium term - the only change that can readily be made is the timetable.

Their aim is to maximise revenues to cover the fixed costs - better to fill a seat than leave it empty. Per mile peak fares are (broadly) 70-100p per mile, off-peak 15-30p (with conditions - off peak, advance booking, no flexibility etc).

Cars operate with a different financial model. The total cost per mile of running a car is typically in the range 35-50p per mile. Of this 15-20p is fuel, 5p tyres and servicing, 10-25p depreciation and fixed cost.

Conclusion - if you already have a car the variable cost per mile (20-25p) for a driver only is similar to off peak fares (15-30p). Two or more in the car and the financial choice is obvious. Convenience, alcohol, parking etc may impact.

Many live quite happily without a car (eg: city dwellers etc) and their simple choice for a journey is the level of compromise they make in journey timing etc to get a discounted fare.

better to fill a seat than leave it empty

After the pandemic, many trains run with many empty seats. Yet they have not reduced fare to fill more seats.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Robert J.

I have started to use the train more. I have a 15 mile/ 30 minute commute to work so the £8 train fare is not much more than I spend on petrol. I would use it every day but the train home is usually full and what puts me off is other passengers who have to occupy two seats and not let anyone sit next to them. They either sit on the aisle seat or sit on a window seat and leave coats/ bags on the seat next to them. If they get a table they have to claim the whole area with laptops and anything else they can use. What is it with these people who would rather see someone standing up than make a seat available for them? I prefer my car than to be with selfish, inconsiderate individuals.

You have to be less 'British' and perhaps go on an Assertiveness course. Just ask politely for the seat to be made available - or even ask to see the ticket for the luggage occupying it.

I only travel by train a few times a year, but certainly some people clamber on with colossal amounts of luggage which they just dump in the aisle, as the luggage spaces are often full. But that shouldn't often happen on commuter trains. You could offer to put the offending luggage on the rack ?

You have to be less 'British' and perhaps go on an Assertiveness course. Just ask politely for the seat to be made available - or even ask to see the ticket for the luggage occupying it.

I only travel by train a few times a year, but certainly some people clamber on with colossal amounts of luggage which they just dump in the aisle, as the luggage spaces are often full. But that shouldn't often happen on commuter trains. You could offer to put the offending luggage on the rack ?

You don't even need to do that. Normal commuter etiquette is just to point at the seat with raised eyebrows and the person sitting there will nod and remove their bag. They're not doing it out of laziness, they're doing it to signal that they would rather not have someone sat next to them. With the point and eyebrow lift you acknowledge that and explain that there are no other seats.

I have started to use the train more. I have a 15 mile/ 30 minute commute to work so the £8 train fare is not much more than I spend on petrol.

Or either of my two EV's would do that trip for 18pence.

Trains, a two hundred year old answer to yesterday's travel problems.

I have started to use the train more. I have a 15 mile/ 30 minute commute to work so the £8 train fare is not much more than I spend on petrol.

I like EVs, but they're not immune to traffic and you're really not supposed to read a book and have a coffee whilst you're driving.

Yes but I find being able to bypass jams etc and keep moving on smaller roads pretty easy. Trains can rarely go around obstructions or "incidents " on the line.

No Brainer - Train VS Car - Robert J.
After you’ve spent 50K on an electric car
After you’ve spent 50K on an electric car

Vauxhall..and Fiat.. .not even close to 50k.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 26/08/2023 at 21:05

LOL!
No Brainer - Train VS Car - focussed

<< Climate change may be real but the way of tackling it (mostly by shafting common people) is wrong. >>

You make it sound as if that was the main purpose of the exercise. I think if any big effort is made to reduce or slow down the increasing CO2, it is likely that poorer people will feel more pain, but in the end everyone stands to benefit. It's hard to think of a nationwide CO2-reducing initiative which could include levelling-up side-effects.

The hypothesis that CO2 is causing global heating is not proved by live, daily updated, global temperature data.

temperature.global/

The hypothesis that CO2 is causing global heating is not proved by live, daily updated, global temperature data.

temperature.global/

www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/noaa-n/climate/climate_...l

<< The hypothesis that CO2 is causing global heating is not proved by live, daily updated, global temperature data. >>

It certainly won't be proved, or disproved, by a string of recent daily data. Two proven (i.e.established) facts : [1] atmospheric CO2 has been measured for over 150 years, and has been rising steadily, accelerating after WW2 ; [2] CO2 is known (i.e. measured in the lab, not globally) to be a more effective 'blanket' (container of heat) than either nitrogen or oxygen, the main atmospheric gases.

But of course wishing it weren't true don't make it so ....

<< The hypothesis that CO2 is causing global heating is not proved by live, daily updated, global temperature data. >>

It certainly won't be proved, or disproved, by a string of recent daily data. Two proven (i.e.established) facts : [1] atmospheric CO2 has been measured for over 150 years, and has been rising steadily, accelerating after WW2 ; [2] CO2 is known (i.e. measured in the lab, not globally) to be a more effective 'blanket' (container of heat) than either nitrogen or oxygen, the main atmospheric gases.

I'd like to know how many weather stations in the past were sited at the end of runways where the jet exhausts are at their most potent. Or next to major roads in very built-up areas rather than a mix of urban and non-urban areas, and away from significant point sources of heat such as exhausts (car, plane, etc).

Sadly, in my experience, too much of 'The Science' of the last few decades has been manipulated to fit the agendas in return for fame, fortune and patronage.

I'd like to know how many weather stations in the past were sited at the end of runways where the jet exhausts are at their most potent. Or next to major roads in very built-up areas rather than a mix of urban and non-urban areas, and away from significant point sources of heat such as exhausts (car, plane, etc).

I think you're clutching at climate sceptic straws there Andy.

It's pretty much a given that airports will carry out Meteorological observations. Accurate measurement of wind speed/direction, air pressure, temperature and humidity are fundamental to aviating safely. Sensors are likely to be at runway midpoint and placed so as not to be skewed every time a plane passes.

You only need to listen to the Shipping Forecast to grasp that, in the UK there are plenty of observations way, way distant from aviating, motoring or space heating.

If all weather stations, even those at airports or in the centre of cities, show temperatures increasing over time then what they're telling us is real.

Even IF temperatures are rising (not convinced) this by itself does not prove that it is man made. Correlation does not imply causation.

People/politicians arguing I should get out of my car because of the alleged environmental benefits of public transportation put me right off.

Fact is, public transportation is never going to be more convenient than the car in a natural sense, that’s why the government in its infinite wisdom decides to build-over parking spaces, block cars from going into certain lanes/roads (bus lanes, LTNs) and makes us pay an entry fee for the luxury of driving into a city.
No Brainer - Train VS Car - alan1302
Even IF temperatures are rising (not convinced) this by itself does not prove that it is man made. Correlation does not imply causation. People/politicians arguing I should get out of my car because of the alleged environmental benefits of public transportation put me right off. Fact is, public transportation is never going to be more convenient than the car in a natural sense, that’s why the government in its infinite wisdom decides to build-over parking spaces, block cars from going into certain lanes/roads (bus lanes, LTNs) and makes us pay an entry fee for the luxury of driving into a city.

Temperatures are rising, no need to convince you, it's a fact.

I really can't grasp why people don't believe humas - there are billions of us - can have an affect on climate. All I can think it's such a big, scary thing people stick their heads in the sand and pretend it is not happening.

Even IF temperatures are rising (not convinced) this by itself does not prove that it is man made. Correlation does not imply causation.

Why do you continue to deny the whole idea of global warming ? Surely the succession of increasingly warm summers, with floods and wildfires, in both hemispheres, must begin to suggest that climate is not what we are used to. And we aren't arguing about whether it is man-made (tho that is the most likely cause). As living conditions are becoming less pleasant, there seems little point in refusing to take any blame - it is getting hotter whoever or whatever is the cause, so trying to mitigate it may be a good idea ?

No Brainer - Train VS Car - alan1302

Sadly, in my experience, too much of 'The Science' of the last few decades has been manipulated to fit the agendas in return for fame, fortune and patronage.

Very few I expect are in the wrong locations - meteorologists want good data and know how to measure so know how to site the weather stations as well.

Sadly in my experience people on the internet don't believe science and just believe what they want and fits their preconceived notions.