What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2010 Astra Replacement - swansea_karl

Hi all

I am looking for recommendations for a suitable replacement for my 2010 Astra. I know that the Dacia Sandero can be had for under 14k new, or just under 10k for a 1 or 2 year old model. I know 3 year old Astras are 13k ish. The only medium size cars i have seen cheaper are either a Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo.

If only prices would come down, maybe they will in the coming months

2010 Astra Replacement - Adampr

What do you want, what will you use it for and how much have you got to spend?

2010 Astra Replacement - swansea_karl

Just for the daily commute. Under 14k.

2010 Astra Replacement - Metropolis.
How long is your daily commute and what type of roads (Motorway, dual carriageway, city etc)?
2010 Astra Replacement - Adampr

Just for the daily commute. Under 14k.

Approved used Toyota Yaris Hybrid. It'll have warranty up.to ten years or 100,000 miles, MPG approaching 60 and even go at a reasonable speed.

2010 Astra Replacement - elekie&a/c doctor
I certainly wouldn’t buy a 3 year old Astra . They’re not what they used to be . They really are just rebadged Peugeot models now . The Astra was a good solid work horse , durable and relatively easy to fix . That’s all gone .
2010 Astra Replacement - Chris M

"They really are just rebadged Peugeot models now"

A 3 year old Astra would still be the GM design.

2010 Astra Replacement - SLO76
If you’re planning on longterm ownership I’d go for something a bit older but of higher quality like a 2018/19 Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv petrol, Toyota Auris petrol or if space isn’t much of an issue a Mazda 2 or Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz. All will be more robust than any of the cars you mention, especially the Astra which sadly isn’t the car it once was. At the money you’re talking about it’ll be the previous gen car and most of them use either a Fiat designed diesel or GM’s fragile 3cyl 1.0 Turbocharged petrol, both are to be avoided.

"GM’s fragile 3cyl 1.0 Turbocharged petrol"

Don't agree SLO. The 1.4s have had some issues but the 1.0 and 1.6 petrols have proved reliable.

[bit more restraint please in replying - thanks Mod]

Edited by Xileno on 19/08/2023 at 09:55

"GM’s fragile 3cyl 1.0 Turbocharged petrol"

SLO. The 1.4s have had some issues but the 1.0 and 1.6 petrols have proved reliable.

I thought the same until I had a call from my wife’s cousin asking if she could have her Corsa 1.0 Turbo recovered from the nearby airport to our address after the car wouldn’t start when they came back from holiday. I couldn’t get it going so passed it to a trusted nearby independent who found it had no compression in all three cylinders, the engine was knackered at 36,000 miles, he sourced a used engine for them and the car is I believe still with them. He said it’s not uncommon, and a bit of digging around online flags up a fair number of problems with them. I don’t believe failure rates are anything like as bad as Fords Ecoboom or Renault/Nissan’s 1.2 TCe’s but there’s clearly an issue with longterm reliability. I won’t recommend one. So in my experience and that of a very busy local garage (one who knows a great deal more than you or I)

[slight edit to remove deleted text - looks like out posts crossed...Mod]

Edited by Xileno on 19/08/2023 at 10:06

No compression on all three cylinders isn't much to go on is it. Appears to have got them to the airport and whilst away, complete failure without the car being used. Unless it was a dodgy parking company that was using it for pizza delivery.

Never read similar on the Astra K forum so sounds like a rare occurrence.

And thinking further, the OP would be looking at the 1.2t if petrol.

Edited by Chris M on 19/08/2023 at 10:47

2010 Astra Replacement - daveyK_UK
The 1.0 turbo GM units are not reliable

2010 Astra Replacement - _

A long long time ago, I posted a link to a copy of a report stating that the GM 3 cyl small gasoline engine suffered from problems, and the 1.o litre MG ZS 2017 on suffers problems too. (Derived from the GM unit)

Read The MG zs forums for cars with that engine.

I wouldn't go near one.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/163460/tiny-turbo-...s-

Edited by _ORB_ on 19/08/2023 at 19:31

The engine is a joint venture with SAIC. But we're not talking about MGs or Corsas for that matter. There is very little negative posted on the Astra forums about this engine. It's well regarded.

I assume ORB, you linked to the previous discussion because you raise LSPI issues with this engine. Perhaps when installed in a MG, but it's not reported as an issue in Astras with this unit.

Properly serviced they are reliable. The linked discussion also throws up SLO's original post:

"The wee car has been neglected, she just looked confused when I asked when it was last serviced."

“ The wee car has been neglected, she just looked confused when I asked when it was last serviced."

True, first thing I looked for when I got in the thing and there was no service book. Can’t recall how long they’d had it though, it certainly was used when they bought it and it only had 36,000 miles up and most likely would have been serviced in the first three years while under warranty. I just don’t trust them and would neither buy one or recommend one. It seems to be a fairly common issue with these small capacity petrol turbos. The only ones I’ve any faith in are Toyota’s 1.2T, Suzuki 1.0 turbo plus VAG’s 1.0 TSi, which has proven reliable with anyone I know who’s run one and with a large local VW/Seat and Skoda dealer in town they’re very common. Renault/Nissan, Ford, Peugeot, Vauxhall, MG and even Honda have just too many stories about failures and design failings to have any real confidence in them.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/08/2023 at 22:23

www.astrakforums.co.uk/threads/engine-problem.5665/
www.boards.ie/discussion/2058285385/2018-opel-astr...m
www.mg-rover.org/threads/mg-uk-zs-cylinder-head-fa.../
www.corsaeforums.co.uk/threads/another-corsa-toast.../
2010 Astra Replacement - Xileno

Rather like the Mazda 2.2D thread currently running, probably a large number of these engines cause no problems, afterall we will only hear of the duff ones. On the other hand there seem to be quite a lot of complaints circulating from different sources to justify caution when considering this engine.

Without any stats on % of breakages analysed by cause, mileage etc. we can probably argue this until Christmas.

Agree. I know folk with early Ecoboost Fords who’ve had no trouble and others who’ve replaced engines on much younger cars, ditto all of these engines with poor reputations. Luck is a big factor along with good preventative maintenance, but I’d still rather have the security of a well proven design that has a good solid reputation for longevity. Best folk to speak to regards longterm reliability are those who sell them, those who fix them and those who taxi them. I’m no longer actively selling and can’t say whether later designs of any of these engines have been rectified or not. I’ll still avoid buying or recommending them until otherwise proven.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/08/2023 at 11:08

2010 Astra Replacement - Andrew-T
Luck is a big factor along with good preventative maintenance, but I’d still rather have the security of a well proven design that has a good solid reputation for longevity.

Back in the day, everyone used to talk about 'Friday cars' but I suppose those are obsolete since everything is built by robots ?

“ Back in the day, everyone used to talk about 'Friday cars' but I suppose those are obsolete since everything is built by robots ?”

You used to get quite a noticeable difference in some brands, particularly Ford and Austin in the 80’s. I’ve encounter a fair number of Friday afternoon cars over the years.
2010 Astra Replacement - alan1302
Luck is a big factor along with good preventative maintenance, but I’d still rather have the security of a well proven design that has a good solid reputation for longevity.

Back in the day, everyone used to talk about 'Friday cars' but I suppose those are obsolete since everything is built by robots ?

I expect the majority of car production is done 24/7 nowadays so there won't be such as a thing as a Friday car now.