What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - badbusdriver

watch

In stark contrast to the million mile Accord, just watched this YT video of a Merc W123 240D being driven out of a garage with a mere 31km on the clock!.

The video is German so I don't know what the story behind it is, but what a find!. The 2.4 diesel certainly isn't fast but it is a hugely reliable unit, and the W123 in general is a seriously well built and engineered car. Possibly a shame to do anything other than put it in a museum, but because of the qualities of the car I think I'd be tempted to use it (assuming no need for ULEZ compliancy).

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - SLO76
Absolutely glorious thing! I loved the W123 series Merc’s, they were simple, a bit spartan but built to the highest standards. These old 240D’s could exceed a million miles as taxis on the original engine. A friend of my dad had a 240TD Estate (no turbo, despite the badge) back in the 90’s with well over 200,000 hard driven miles under its belt, the owner described it as “indestructible.”

It was noisy at idle and had all of 72bhp so it was glacial, but it just ran and ran. The masters of austerity (back then) the Germans even made a less powerful 200D for certain markets I believe. Now that must’ve been proper misery spec.

A local dealer had a very nice 124 series (the last proper Merc?) with the almost as glacial 5cyl 2.5 94bhp normally aspirated diesel a few years ago that I much coveted but couldn’t justify buying. I love simple but well made cars, vehicles that could last for decades if looked after. No major complexities, no looming write-off repair bills. Just put oil and fuel in it and off you go.

I’d give my front teeth for that old car.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/08/2023 at 18:58

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - paul 1963

Totally agree SLO, what a thing!! Sounds like my old boat! There's a very faded yellow estate 123 round my way I occasionally see, driven by a elderly couple, despite the faded paint it's in lovely condition, I can only assume they've had it from new?

Edited by paul 1963 on 17/08/2023 at 19:20

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - Moodyman
In the US, where starship mileages are not uncommon, a car website voted the W123 the toughest car ever made. Followed by 90s Camry, Corolla, F150 and W124.
31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - Adampr

Very nice. I had a W124 that I absolutely loved and only sold when my son was born as I needed the money. I stupidly put it in a classics auction and got next to nothing for it. Possibly because it was the most extraordinary metallic pink/beige/gold colour.

Also had a W111 but the less said about that the better.

Edited by Adampr on 17/08/2023 at 20:06

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - bathtub tom

It's got a tow bar!

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - nellyjak

Agree about the W124 SLO...it's the newest Merc I'd buy.!

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - Xileno

I don't speak any German but the part where they're obviously discussing the shameful presence of a tiny chip on one of the wheel covers is great...

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - John F

Astonishing! (The adulation above, not the car). What is there to like about a frumpy-looking old barge with a rattly tractor engine? (apart from its durability, but a mechanical life expectancy of 200,000 miles is enough for most of us). I remember they looked old fashioned even when brand new.

Each to their own, John. I can see the attraction from a kind of putting two fingers up to some of the latest tech and planned obsolescence of newer vehicles. I agree about the diesel engine though - a petrol would be more to my liking.

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - John F

Each to their own, John........... I agree about the diesel engine though - a petrol would be more to my liking.

And me. The comparable utility three-box style saloon to this sluggish teutonic satan-fuelled unterwagen would of course be the almost equally sturdy and considerably more civilised Volvo 240. Assuming it's an early 80s model (square headlights), my Autocar of 1982 lists the Volvo at £7340. You would have needed over £2500 more for the MB which is priced at £9895!

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - nellyjak

Each to their own, John........... I agree about the diesel engine though - a petrol would be more to my liking.

And me. The comparable utility three-box style saloon to this sluggish teutonic satan-fuelled unterwagen would of course be the almost equally sturdy and considerably more civilised Volvo 240. Assuming it's an early 80s model (square headlights), my Autocar of 1982 lists the Volvo at £7340. You would have needed over £2500 more for the MB which is priced at £9895!

Wouldn't disagree with you about the Volvo...always been a fan...had the 260 and the 760 and both great cars.

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - SLO76
Do like the Volvo’s of this era too. The 240 was a hardy old barge (we had a new GLT saloon in 1989) but the 740 was the better car. It was better to drive, safer and better made. Those old 4cyl Volvo motors (2.0/2.3) would run and run. Only faults I ever encountered with them was a tendency to suffer speedometer failure. Doesn’t make me like the high quality, ultra durable misery spec Merc any less though. The only Volvo diesel at the time came in the way of a VW 6cyl van engine that was frankly a bit rubbish in the 740 or in the intercooled form in the 760. They were noisy, slow and not much better on fuel than the petrol models. Merc knew how to made a tough diesel motor.
Do like the Volvo’s of this era too. The 240 was a hardy old barge (we had a new GLT saloon in 1989) but the 740 was the better car. It was better to drive, safer and better made. Those old 4cyl Volvo motors (2.0/2.3) would run and run. Only faults I ever encountered with them was a tendency to suffer speedometer failure. Doesn’t make me like the high quality, ultra durable misery spec Merc any less though. The only Volvo diesel at the time came in the way of a VW 6cyl van engine that was frankly a bit rubbish in the 740 or in the intercooled form in the 760. They were noisy, slow and not much better on fuel than the petrol models. Merc knew how to made a tough diesel motor.

I also like the Volvo 240 series (and a GLT would be number one choice!), but in no way was it more civilised than a W123. Incidentally, you did get diesel 240's, just not in the UK.

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - barney100

The old School Volvos were iconic, I've had a few, 240/340/440/480/740/and am running a V70d now which is on 181k. Cost me 8k in 2015 and it's a brilliant workhorse, unfortunately Volvo have gone all electric and you will need a deep pocket to buy one but I will stick with diesel 'til they are banned.

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - Adampr

Astonishing! (The adulation above, not the car). What is there to like about a frumpy-looking old barge with a rattly tractor engine? (apart from its durability, but a mechanical life expectancy of 200,000 miles is enough for most of us). I remember they looked old fashioned even when brand new.

I suppose some people like functional design and high quality, much as others will wax lyrical about monkey-assembled garbage as long it's got a pointy front.

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - Metropolis.
I actually think it is a good looking car, not a fan of more rounded modern equivalents
31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - Random

Early W124s were good, later facelift E-class versions suffered from cost cutting. Head gaskets, wiring looms and gear boxes can fail, all around £1000 to fix each. Jacking points, rear subframes, inner/outer front wings rust. Plenty else to fail.

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - bathtub tom

Says someone who thinks a TR7's a sports car.....................................................................;>)

Can anyone translate the video or at least give a summary? Would be interesting to know how it came to be mothballed and what they intend doing with it. If they auction it I bet it will go for a tidy sum. We only did Spanish and French at school.

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - paul 1963

Can anyone translate the video or at least give a summary? Would be interesting to know how it came to be mothballed and what they intend doing with it. If they auction it I bet it will go for a tidy sum. We only did Spanish and French at school.

Brit in Germany is probably the man to ask?

Brit in Germany is probably the man to ask?

My MIL was pretty fluent as she lived in Germany for a few years (40 years ago). She is supposed to be coming round this afternoon, so depending on how things go (my wife has a tricky relationship with her mother!) I may get her to have a look and she if she can shed any light on the proceedings!.

Many thanks BBD

31km Mercedes (W123) 240D! - craig-pd130

Period road tests gave the following 'performance' figures:

0 - 40 in 10.3s

0 - 60 in 21s

40 - 60 (in top gear): 14s

Overall economy on test: 28mpg

The test pointed out that 'even when accepting the leisurely acceleration, the driver can still be caught out by the governor limiting engine rpm to 4,350' as the car's gearing is quite short. Top (4th) gear is only 19mph per 1,000rpm!