What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Million mile Honda Accord - badbusdriver

watch

Just watched this interesting YouTube video.

Title says it all, but the pertinent facts are that it is on the original engine, transmission and various other parts (including brake calipers)!. Only been on a tow truck once due to a fuel pump failure at 741k miles. Interior also looking remarkably good for such a huge mileage.

Million mile Honda Accord - Metropolis.
I always enjoy seeing stuff like this, the dedication to one car is fantastic to see. No doubt the vast expanse of car friendly USA helps to achieve such high mileage as well, rather than stop/start traffic all the time given how much less west motorway driving is supposed to be.

Makes me wonder what other cars are capable of similar. I have seen older Dodge Ram with the Cummins engines achieving it (and Chrysler products are not known for reliability, most people credit Cummins) and Toyota Tundra and Camry. 2000s to pre-bailout era GM vehicles seem to do well too. Plus anything on the panther platform.

Also, bravo Honda! I am convinced the 90s were the best era for Japanese cars in respect of build quality. Does the panel think a 2023 Honda would be as likely to achieve the same mileage?

Edited by Metropolis. on 15/08/2023 at 18:57

Million mile Honda Accord - Steveieb

Even more remarkable if the Accord was built in Maryland but hearing it was bought by an employee he would maybe opt for a Japanese built car like Scotty Kilmer !

Million mile Honda Accord - SLO76
Only thing that killed that gen of Accord was rust, if you live in a dry state then there’s no reason why it wouldn’t just run and run. Ditto the Toyota Camry.
Only thing that killed that gen of Accord was rust, if you live in a dry state then there’s no reason why it wouldn’t just run and run. Ditto the Toyota Camry.

It says in the video the owner lived in a north east state, so definitely not a dry state!

Million mile Honda Accord - Steveieb

No mention of the number of exhausts.

My accord got through a few back boxes and down pipes until I replaced them with Bosal pattern parts.

Million mile Honda Accord - SLO76

It says in the video the owner lived in a north east state, so definitely not a dry state!

Doubt they slather their roads in salt like we do in Scotland, but well done to him. Mechanically this gen of Accord in particular was very robust. I remember taking one in with 152,000 miles up that looked and drove like a 50,000 mile car. It sold quickly and lasted many more years with its local buyer.
Million mile Honda Accord - John F

1 million miles and '185 oil changes' means it had its oil changed around every 5,400 miles. He probably kept it 'topped up' too. The Americans go in for frequent oil changes, but most people don't need their engines to last so long. I'd be interest to know how much oil per 1000 miles it's now using.

When we traded in our old Passat, it was on over 240,000 miles with oil changes at 10-12,000 miles when it got to the minimum mark using the cheapest semi-synthetic I could find. IIRC it was eventually using about a litre every two thousand miles or so, still within VW's acceptable use of 1l/1000km.

Million mile Honda Accord - barney100

If you enjoy reading about high mileage cars google Irv Gordon and his Volvo...4 million miles at the last count verified by Volvo.

oops, 3.2 million.

If you enjoy reading about high mileage cars google Irv Gordon and his Volvo...4 million miles at the last count verified by Volvo.

I watched the video....typically American, he seemed oblivious of his outrageous carbon footprint! Salient comment 'I change the oil every 3000-3500 miles....'

There’s more to life than worrying about carbon footprint John!

3,000 mile oil changes are a good idea especially if using mineral oil as many Americans do, and clearly it worked.

There’s more to life than worrying about carbon footprint John! 3,000 mile oil changes are a good idea especially if using mineral oil as many Americans do, and clearly it worked.

Also, "used" engine oil can be re-used.

In the mid 90's I worked for a garage/car dealer in Wigan, the heater in the main workshop ran off used engine oil.

The mechanic I normally go to does the same, or at least did not so long ago. Great way to recycle and must have kept costs down considerably in winter.
There’s more to life than worrying about carbon footprint John!

Indeed so. Annual trip to California looms and the W12 needs another tankful.....

But surely, billions aspiring to such a personal automotive high mileage American lifestyle is not good for the planet...

Also, "used" engine oil can be re-used.

In the mid 90's I worked for a garage/car dealer in Wigan, the heater in the main workshop ran off used engine oil.

jeez....the emissions....and pollution!

Outrageous carbon footprint? Guy had this car for donkey's years, no changing it and therefore not causing pollution in car production.....reckon he could be in carbon credit.

Million mile Honda Accord - JonestHon

With proper maintenance and watching for the tin worm this sounds like it is down to the trusty old recipe. 2.0 4 or 6 cylinders, NA and TC auto, a combo which is hard to kill if it comes in a simple trim.