Replacing an aging C-Max - iFocus
We’re currently considering replacing our 2012 1.6 petrol c-max as it is currently requiring more and more expensive repairs. Lately it’s just had a new alternator and heater matrix along with a few electrical issues too.

We’ve got about £11000 to spend on the ideal car and we’re considering a 1.0 Skoda Octavia, Hyundai i40 1.7 (both 2018) or a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (2015).

We want space (family of 4 currently), reliability and as much longevity as possible.

Looking for opinions what car you’d go for in our circumstances or if you’d keep paying more on the c-max?
Replacing an aging C-Max - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t think I’d bother with the outlander, they are all 4 wheel drive . Possibly unnecessary for your needs and more complicated. What about a newer C max ? The early Ecoboost engines are best avoided, but the later versions seem to be sorted .
Replacing an aging C-Max - John F
We’re currently considering replacing our 2012 1.6 petrol c-max as it is currently requiring more and more expensive repairs...........(replace) ....or ...keep paying more on the c-max?

This is the classic situation of a one (or two)-off biggish bill for an older car generating a 'time to change' feeling, and the fear of future bills 'throwing good money after bad'. Was the bill really that big compared to the annual depreciation on a newer replacement car? Your 11yr old has almost stopped depreciating so it might be worth caring for it a few years longer, unless it's done a huge mileage and is rusting badly. A replacement will almost certainly cost more to insure.

(Back in 2011, our then 11yr old 80,000 mile 1.6 petrol Focus estate lasted another ten years and another 80,000 miles with minimal repair and maintenance cost and insignificant annual depreciation, but I did look after it carefully, dealing with rust as soon as it appeared).

The heater matrix was £900 and the alternator has just cost us £400. The car is also due a major service and needs its cam belt replacing too.

It is one of those classic times but we’re thinking new car but trying to decide.
Replacing an aging C-Max - SLO76
The heater matrix was £900 and the alternator has just cost us £400. The car is also due a major service and needs its cam belt replacing too. It is one of those classic times but we’re thinking new car but trying to decide.

I’m assuming that both jobs were done at a Ford dealer? An aftermarket alternator fitted should’ve been less than £200 on one of these, but the matrix is probably a dealer part. Assuming this has the tough 1600 Yamaha designed petrol motor then the timing belt is an easy and cheap job and these are tough long lived cars worth keeping.
Replacing an aging C-Max - Ian_SW

I wouldn't spend £11k to go from a 2012 car to a 2015 car. That's equivalent to spending £3.6k per year (£300 per month) and you could lease a brand new car for that.

A 2018 car would a better bet as that is a car which is 6 years newer than your current car (or roughly equivalent to spending £2k per year). My wife's car (Leon Estate) has that 1.0TSi engine and it drives surprisingly well for such a small engine in a big car, even when fully loaded. I can't comment on the reliability though as she's only had it a year from new (company car scheme) and it's not even due its first service yet.

Heater matrix was done at the Ford dealer as was a dealer only part and was recovered to a Ford dealer when it broke down.

The alternator was replaced with a Lucas one by a local Indy. The Alternator itself cost £200 plus VAT.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Based on your suggestions we've decided to keep the C-Max currently and save more to get a newer car later next year.

Replacing an aging C-Max - Adampr

Use the C-Max as a deposit on a brand new Dacia Jogger and pay £245 a month for 48 months on PCP.

Replacing an aging C-Max - edlithgow

Whatever you choose, make sure its had a new alternator and heater matrix recently, and had its electrical issues sorted out...oh wait...