What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Pavement parking consultation - JonestHon

Seems that making pavement parking illegal by default for England is still on the cards. I know this is up for discussion by law makers for years but still sounds like pouring the baby with the bath water stuff.

See option 3 in the gov consultation, hope parliament will see some sense here and will drop that option. option.www.gov.uk/government/consultations/managing-pavem...e

Any - Pavement parking consultation - _

We have 2 vans parked completely across the pavement in our little close, one a 3.5 ton Mercedes which blocks a neighbours access to her driveway, but she has given up in the face of the agression., the other a Berlingo, directly behind that is a mondeo Estate, (the three who live here) and then the daytime commuters who park on corners, also in front of the Electricity substation which is clearly signposted no parking. There is a residential care home for assisted living a couple of hundred metres away where the staff have been banned from parking onsite recently and that has added to the problem. The local dentist has expanded their practice and that has added to parking problems as well as Traffic wardens now patrolling by the school round the corner to stop people parking on the very long yellow zigzags for no parking at certain times and the white zigzags for the pedestrian crossing.

So yes, I am all in favour of a default ban except where there are exceptions.

A while back i had a discussion witha driving instructor who didn't want to move from in front of my driveway so I could get out. (I'll only be a couple of minutes)

But the devil will be in the detail of enforcement.

Edited by _ORB_ on 03/08/2023 at 07:38

Any - Pavement parking consultation - badbusdriver

The problem is that modern cars have got so big, yet narrow streets remain as arrow as they have always been. Which is the case on the street I live. Since we've been here, I park my van with about the width of the tyre on the pavement which frees up an extra 6" or so of width for vehicular traffic, but still leaves ample room for pedestrians.

I have absolutely no problem with people parking on the pavement if it is necessary, but only if they leave enough space for a wheelchair/pram/push-chair to get by. During the course of my work I so often see cars completely blocking the pavement, even when because of the width of the road, there is no need for them to be on it.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - John F

The problem is that most of our towns and cities were never planned to accommodate either horses or cars for the common folk. Hardly any newer developments, apart from post-ww1 council houses, were planned with enough space. Anyone who has flown over Britain at around 3000 ft will see how cramped our towns and villages are with their ridiculously narrow roads between the houses, how widespread the arguably redundant farmland is, and what little visual impact even big motorways make. The modern privately built stupidly expensive estates which planners have allowed for small brick boxes with tiny windows and too narrow roads, cramming as many in per overpriced acre as possible, with nowhere for visitors to park, are a disgrace. No wonder only the poorest most desperate people want to come here while so many of the brightest and best emigrate.....but we're not told about that.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - bathtub tom

We've just had 'no parking on the verge or pathway' signs go up round here. Except they've made a balls up of it by putting the signs in the wrong places and you can bypass the signs from some directions.

A councillor told me it was because folk parking on grass verges can cause ruts and if a pedestrian injures themself by stumbling, it's the council they sue. They said parking on a solid footpath is an offence and they prosecute. Whereas parking on a grass verge is a grey area.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - catsdad

Most people where I live park sensibly including on pavements while leaving plenty of room. The roads are narrowish but allow enough room and most people follow the unwritten local practices on which side to park on. Occasionally rogue parkers opt to park on the opposite side creating chicanes that the bus can’t get through.
When parking comes up on local chat rooms it’s surprising how many people openly admit to poor parking but say that they had no alternative due to lack of convenient spaces. Driving on and walking back a few yards seems beyond some people.
it’s just a pity that legislation might be needed at all when all it needs is a bit of consideration.
In our close some people (not us) have more cars than drive spaces. Four of us have formed a WhatsApp group and flag up when we are going away and make our drives available to the others.

Edited by catsdad on 03/08/2023 at 09:40

Any - Pavement parking consultation - Andrew-T

When parking comes up on local chat rooms it’s surprising how many people openly admit to poor parking but say that they had no alternative due to lack of convenient spaces..

Authority is far too laissez-faire in this country, where many people demand what they see as their Human Rights, which include driving a vehicle but not necessarily allowing others to do likewise. I believe that In parts of Japan one may only license a car if one can prove ownership of an off-road parking space.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - Bolt

Most people where I live park sensibly including on pavements while leaving plenty of room. The roads are narrowish but allow enough room and most people follow the unwritten local practices on which side to park on. Occasionally rogue parkers opt to park on the opposite side creating chicanes that the bus can’t get through.

its the same in my road where you do get the odd one that will not bump up the kerb in case of tyre damage so they block half the road, but when asked say they won`t park half on half off.

we have to as lorries or fire engines cannot get through which drivers don`t seem to understand, we have plenty of room on the path if everyone parked the same which most do, so not a problem for wheelchair users and buggies

The only direct effect this has on our situation is when a large van or similar occupies a wide pavement ahead of our exit onto the A56. It is then almost impossible to see traffic in either direction. Our local police effort is part-time, and while pavement parking is not illegal here, plod will only take action in case of obstruction. The only thing which might work is double yellows.

There was very little pavement parking when we moved here 17 years ago. Soon afterwards an enclosed cluster of housing was built off the main road, and the building workers had little choice but to park on nearby pavements. After that, no-one looked back. Vehicular obesity clearly doesn't help, but it's a small aggravating factor in the overall picture.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - sammy1

Pavement parking is indeed a bit of a hazard for pedestrians. We walk a lot with our dog and it is funny to see the cars parked on the pavement so has not to hinder other car users but sod us pedestrians and people with pushchairs and children. There are just too many cars for our ancient roads. I have no objection where the pavement is wide but the ""me me" drivers leave no pavement room forcing you into the road. So lets have some long overdue action on this as things will only get worse on what is now the norm.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - Gerry Sanderson

Understand this is to become law at the end of the month (Middleman correct me if wrong) with a fine 60 quid.

dvd

Any - Pavement parking consultation - Gerry Sanderson
August

Pavement Parking Ban

The pavement parking ban has been in talks since 2019, but its expected to come into force this summer. If this law is enforced drivers could face a £70 fixed penalty notice for parking on a pavement.

TO apply outside London

Have yet to find the actual Act/SI bringing it in

dvd

Any - Pavement parking consultation - _

As above,

Please kindly keep the debate on topic.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - galileo

Drive round any town with streets of terrace houses in the North of England and you will see that if cars park on both sides, the road becomes effectively one lane, even though it is open to two way traffic. Large areas of many such towns may consist of these streets, other places to park could be half a mile away, inconveniently distant for elderly or mothers with small children.

Where are all the residents of these areas supposed to park?

Easy for the affluent middle classes to impose painful rules on the peasantry from their leafy suburbs, suggesting they should walk or get a pedal cycle.

A Marie Antoinette "Let them eat cake" attitude, if imposed without proper consultation and realistic solutions.

Pavement parking in some cases can leave room for bin collection vehicles, fire appliances and removal vans to pass, which otherwise would be impossible (and has led to problems)

Any - Pavement parking consultation - Bromptonaut

Pavement parking in some cases can leave room for bin collection vehicles, fire appliances and removal vans to pass, which otherwise would be impossible (and has led to problems)

If parking partly on the pavement to leave space as above is needed and there's sufficient space for wheelchairs and buggies on the pavement then there should be a presumption that it's permitted. Signs and lines should follow.

It's an issue here on occasions as we're close to village community centre and and active Rugger and Footie clubs. The Rugger Bu**ers have about 4 weeks a year when they host a round of Countywide kids league. Absolute nightmare. Cars everywhere. Ten minutes to get a few hundred yards towards town. Pushing Mum in a wheelchair over muddy grass.

Apparently I've no right to complain as the club was there before me and anyway I'm a townee...

Suggestion that even non full contact rugger for pre teens is a rough game and may need an ambulance is met with snide comments about imaginery ambulances as both the contest and the need for an ambulance have yet to happen at the same time...

Edited by Bromptonaut on 03/08/2023 at 18:13

Where are all the residents of these areas supposed to park? Easy for the affluent middle classes to impose painful rules on the peasantry from their leafy suburbs, suggesting they should walk or get a pedal cycle. A Marie Antoinette "Let them eat cake" attitude, if imposed without proper consultation and realistic solutions.

They are not 'supposed' to own cars, because they have nowhere to keep them. They are equally not supposed to live in terrace houses fronting on a narrow street, but that is the way things are. The same people need to use those pavements for pedestrian purposes, or buggies or wheelchairs. Grumbling about out-of-date living space doesn't solve any problems or offer solutions.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - jchinuk

In London parking on the pavement has been banned for years, but it's not quite as simple as that.

Many side streets have painted boxes where parking is permitted, but the box allows the pavement to be clear enough for parts, strollers, wheelchairs, but the car is half off the road way.

It seems to work.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - Maxime.

In London parking on the pavement has been banned for years, but it's not quite as simple as that.

Many side streets have painted boxes where parking is permitted, but the box allows the pavement to be clear enough for parts, strollers, wheelchairs, but the car is half off the road way.

It seems to work.

Nothing wrong with that. It is when it is demarcated and controlled that it's ok. It is when the pavement is completely blocked or blocked so much that other users such as pedestrians with or without prams are forced into the road.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - Terry W

Bluntly - the street layout in some places is inadequate to satisfy all needs simultaneously - emergency vehicles, parking, pedestrian movement including disabled and pushchairs.

There is no magic formula which will allow the space to meet the needs of all users. A number of options exist:

• knock down the houses and rebuild with adequate space
  • decide who takes priority and legislate accordingly. That it should be a democratic decision is important - I personally don't care who wins or loses
  • ensure that the decision is enforceable - too often ideas fail at this point (eg: e-bikes)

Continually repeating similar arguments about how difficult it is for any one set of users takes the debate no further forward. Simply make a decision - whatever is chosen some will be massively dissatisfied, the rest will be relieved.

Any - Pavement parking consultation - Big John

It seems to work.

Nothing wrong with that. It is when it is demarcated and controlled that it's ok. It is when the pavement is completely blocked or blocked so much that other users such as pedestrians with or without prams are forced into the road.

I live in an area where there are some parking areas are marked partly on the pavement and on the road - all good. However there are some areas which aren't marked as such where people park badly obstructing the pavement. This used to be a major problem for me when trying to get past pushing my Dad's wheel chair and I effectively had to launch us into a busy road to pass. So for me bring it on - but as already mentioned enforcement will still be an issue.