What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Help with selling a car - logger

Not sure where this should go, either here or in car buying. Are there people out there that will sell a car for you with say a commission. Long story but my wife does not need the stress at the moment so wondered if someone does that sort of thing. We are in Cheshire. The car is a 2012 BMW X1 20d 2.0 xdrive ,78k miles.

Thanks everyone

Help with selling a car - lucklesspedestrian

There are alternatives which might get you a better price but if (as it sounds like) quick and simple is your priority then:

Google your local franchise of WeBuyAny Car

Phone them up and arrange a time to take the car down (follow instructions on the website regarding how the process works, what documents you need, how you will get the money etc)

They will likely offer you a price there and then (have a look on autotrader beforehand for similar make/model/year etc to get a ballpark figure, the price they offer will be at least couple of thousand less than this because you are selling not buying)

There can be a little room for negotiation (we've used them twice)

If you're happy they take the car, you phone for a taxi home and you get the money in your bank account a day or two later

Like I say, there are alternatives (we used Motorway recently, better price but slightly more faff) but WBAC will get the job done quickly and simply

Help with selling a car - HGV ~ P Valentine

I would not touch we buy any car, they will quote you a good price on the phone the rip you. Try advertise online, I sold my ford that way and got loads of interest which I sold for 1'000, and it cost me noting if I put it on for 1 month.

So put it on for 3 weeks and sold it before you have to start paying a fee to sell it, the 3rd week I had 3 people coming to see it.

Sell My Car for Free Online with Gumtree

This is just 1 but there a few that claim "free advertising", make sure you read the info on any page you read, as there is usually a limited free period. After the free period they charge, but it was not expensive. But as I said plz read the small print on the page.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 31/07/2023 at 10:08

Help with selling a car - alan1302

I would not touch we buy any car, they will quote you a good price on the phone the rip you. Try advertise online, I sold my ford that way and got loads of interest which I sold for 1'000, and it cost me noting if I put it on for 1 month.

So put it on for 3 weeks and sold it before you have to start paying a fee to sell it, the 3rd week I had 3 people coming to see it.

Sell My Car for Free Online with Gumtree

This is just 1 but there a few that claim "free advertising", make sure you read the info on any page you read, as there is usually a limited free period. After the free period they charge, but it was not expensive. But as I said plz read the small print on the page.

The op said 'Long story but my wife does not need the stress at the moment' so putting it on Gumtree would not be a good option.

Help with selling a car - bathtub tom

The op said 'Long story but my wife does not need the stress at the moment' so putting it on Gumtree would not be a good option.

People don't bother to read the threads, they just reply to whatever they want!

Help with selling a car - SLO76
Google local car buyers and you’ll usually find other firms offering car buying services. We have several locally, one who sells to buyers in Northern Ireland and offers strong money and no fees, I sold SWMBO’s Honda HRV to them for £500 more than WBAC offered and that was before they knocked it down during viewing minus fees. Another local chain (the one I used to sell for) also buys stock at good money and charges no fees.

It’s too much money to sell from the door yourself (I find anything over £3k hard work) but it’s something dealers would buy from you. This avoids the fear of someone cheating you with fake notes etc and body swerves the i****s you’ll get calling about an older BMW.

A quick google search revealed several local firms offering car buying services in your area.

Edited by SLO76 on 31/07/2023 at 11:54

Help with selling a car - logger

Thanks.. what did you use as the search criteria..I couldnt find any ?

Help with selling a car - SLO76
I just put Cheshire car buying services in, but call local dealers (larger dealers won’t usually be interested due to its age) and ask if they’re interested.
Help with selling a car - Steveieb

If you are Facebook then Marketplace is a free service for buying and selling. Share the details to friends and then they know it’s a low risk option for them !

Only used it for low value cars like my A4 but got over 300 views whereas less than 30 on Gumtree.

Help with selling a car - movilogo

I am currently in the process of selling my car. The main dealer gave me a lower quote so not selling to them.

I approached We Buy Any Car (WBAC) - do offered a lower value than quoted on internet. However, it seems very straight forward. You take your car to WBAC where they check it (no test drive) and offer you a price there and then. If my other option falls over I'll sell to WBAC.

Currently going via CarWoW. They auctioned my car among dealers and winning bidder will contact me within next few days. Their valuation is more than WBAC but they said after actually test drive by their team they may reduce the offer. The buyer here is a business rather than individual as CarWow allows only dealers/traders to take part in bidding.

I'll see what happens in next few days (I can't sell till my new car is delivered).

Didn't put ad in AutoTrader because [1] it costs [2] can't be bothered to deal with several people willing to test drive.

Help with selling a car - alan1302

If you are Facebook then Marketplace is a free service for buying and selling. Share the details to friends and then they know it’s a low risk option for them !

Only used it for low value cars like my A4 but got over 300 views whereas less than 30 on Gumtree.

The op said 'Long story but my wife does not need the stress at the moment' so putting it on Facebook would not be a good option.

Help with selling a car - movilogo

The winning dealer (Carbase) from CarWow sent someone to collect the car.

The guy came by train. Then checked my car and documents. Called head office that all looks good. Then money arrived on bank while he waited.

Then I handed over keys + V5C and he drove away.

They paid same amount what was agreed online.