New MINI Cooper - sammy1

New Mini Cooper Electric gets fresh new interior and exhaust note (msn.com)

The headline is the car gets a new exhaust note!! Bit like the Vegans and needing to call their products "meat". Why do MINI or some others have to use the term exhaust why not come up with something original like a electric motor whine. I feel sure they could start of with a low note and develop it into a high pitch scream. There will be buried somewhere a switch to activate the noise for the children. If I had one I would want it to be as quiet as possible which has been the ambition of most manufacturers since day one save for the obvious sports car or boy racer.

New MINI Cooper - badbusdriver

Bit like the Vegans and needing to call their products "meat".

I wasn't aware that they did?

Why do MINI or some others have to use the term exhaust why not come up with something original like a electric motor whine.

Because the motoring press along with plenty of drivers (including at least some forum members) go on about the lack of ICE sounds being a negative point, certainly on cars with an overtly sporty character.

But as the noise will be generated artificially, there is no reason not to offer variety of sounds. In fact did I not read of a sporty electric car (think maybe the "N" version of a Hyundai Ionic 5 or 6?) having the option of a jet engine noise?.

New MINI Cooper - sammy1

The whole thing about artificial battery exhaust just leaves me baffled!

Well there are vegan meatballs etc need I go on.

Sure, but it isn't the vegans buying them who decide they are to be called "meatballs", it is the producers.

Also worth pointing out that the word meat derives from an old English word which simply meant food.

Edited by badbusdriver on 27/07/2023 at 13:10

New MINI Cooper - sammy1

Sure, but it isn't the vegans buying them who decide they are to be called "meatballs", it is the producers.

Also worth pointing out that the word meat derives from an old English word which simply meant food.

Yes and it is not the car buyers who want exhaust noises either I suspect.

I suspect that meat was once the staple diet for the old English thanks for the info.

New MINI Cooper - alan1302

No, please don't!

New MINI Cooper - sammy1

No, please don't!

Ditto is this the best contribution you can come up with?

New MINI Cooper - FP

"Ditto is this the best contribution you can come up with?"

If you're going to start criticising other people's posts in this manner I think you'll find you are in a rather sticky situation.

Edited by FP on 27/07/2023 at 15:39

I suspect that meat was once the staple diet for the old English

No, back then most folk would have a diet of various cereals (barley, oats, rye, etc), veg, fruit and dairy. Meat would be a very rare treat.

Only wealthy folk could afford it as a staple diet.

New MINI Cooper - sammy1

I suspect that meat was once the staple diet for the old English

No, back then most folk would have a diet of various cereals (barley, oats, rye, etc), veg, fruit and dairy. Meat would be a very rare treat.

Only wealthy folk could afford it as a staple diet.

So poaching and Robin Hood pinching the Kings deer are old folks tales.

New MINI Cooper - FP

"I suspect that meat was once the staple diet for the old English"

"No, back then most folk would have a diet of various cereals (barley, oats, rye, etc), veg, fruit and dairy. Meat would be a very rare treat.

Only wealthy folk could afford it as a staple diet."

"So poaching and Robin Hood pinching the Kings deer are old folks tales."

And someone was bemoaning the quality of the responses here.

I'm tempted to comment, but had better not.

New MINI Cooper - Sofa Spud

The Mini retro theme has been taken too far already. Same goes for the Fiat 500, where the Abarth version is also being given an artificial broom-broom sound.

It reminds me of how youths on plastic mopeds with continuously variable transmission do pretend gearchanges by manipulating the throttle.

New MINI Cooper - sammy1

If you're going to start criticising other people's posts in this manner I think you'll find you are in a rather sticky situation.

Well if the individual would stick to the subject of the post we might be OK same goes for you I suppose with this threat. Why do some forum members exist on here just to try and be clever, never starting threads and knocking other members contributions.

New MINI Cooper - Andrew-T

<< Why do some forum members exist on here just to try and be clever ... >>

You're asking us ??

New MINI Cooper - FP

"Well if the individual would stick to the subject of the post we might be OK same goes for you I suppose with this threat. Why do some forum members exist on here just to try and be clever, never starting threads and knocking other members contributions."

A lot depends on the quality of certain "other members contributions". I prefer quality over quantity every time. I suspect I'm not the only one who gets slightly irritated.

Well if the individual would stick to the subject of the post we might be OK same goes for you I suppose with this threat. Why do some forum members exist on here just to try and be clever, never starting threads and knocking other members contributions.

You must be suffering from short term memory loss Sammy, you were the one who brought veganism and meat into your own thread.

But I guess I'll be accused of having a rant any minute now, so hey ho!

New MINI Cooper - Adampr

They use the term 'exhaust note ' because that's the sound being replicated. This refers to the 'piped' sound inside the cabin, which some odd people like to recreate the feeling of an ICE car. All EVs also have to make an external noise to let visually impaired people know they're around. I don't think the plan is for the new mini to make a brum brum noise externally.

New MINI Cooper - _

We have had several complaints about the direction this thread and many others have taken, with puerile little spats in some cases

Thread closed.

Mods