BMW 1 Series - Are BMW’s really a bad car - Coldste

So looking at getting my first car and after a lot of research I think the BMW series 1 is for me. I’ve done so much research into this particular car, me mum was taking me sisters car in for a repair, the dealership has an onsite garage and she told the sales guy that her son (me) was looking for a car, mainly a BMW and all he said to her was tell him to steer clear of the BM’s those cars are always having trouble, though he didn’t really say what kind of trouble. Keep in mind that she didn’t say what make or version.

I’m looking at the 118i or the 116i version made between 2013 and 2015, so are they really bad cars only a lot of websites recommend them as a decent car, there not sales sites, so was the sales guy wrong about BMW or are there certain models ?

Edited by Coldste on 17/07/2023 at 20:04

BMW 1 Series - Are BMW’s really a bad car - Adampr

The 2012-15 116i and 118i use the famously unreliable 'Prjnce' engine (google.it) and are best avoided.

Otherwise, you have the usual BMW issues - mostly the cost of parts and servicing.

BMW 1 Series - Are BMW’s really a bad car - badbusdriver

I'm struggling to think of something I'd want less than a 10 year old 1 Series!. With a powerful engine to exploit the rear wheel drive dynamics, under certain circumstances I might be tempted. But the 116 or 118?, you have all the drawbacks of the layout with none of the benefits. They are not particularly reliable, are very cramped in the rear (if that is of interest) and they are very likely to have been thrashed senseless by previous owners.

I wouldn't go anywhere near one!

BMW 1 Series - Are BMW’s really a bad car - Metropolis.
Many engine parts are plastic fantastic, they go brittle as they age. Overrated and overpriced unless buying new. Otherwise, avoid!
BMW 1 Series - Are BMW’s really a bad car - SLO76
Engine problems in particular but they also like to eat suspension components plus they’ve a tendency to attract the more aggressive of drivers who tend to abuse and crash them. The salesman was doing right by you when he advised avoiding them, I’d advise the same.

I’d start off by getting insurance quotes, since this is your first car you may find the BMW prohibitively expensive to cover. A better first car would be a used Ford Fiesta with the very robust Yamaha designed 1.25/1.4 petrol. These are great fun to drive, yet cheap to insure and run. If this isn’t big enough then you could see if a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv petrol is insurance. These are brilliant to drive but don’t suffer any of the problems the BMW almost certainly will. A Ford Focus 1.6 petrol is another good option, but don’t touch the 1.0 Ecoboost or the Powershift auto.
BMW 1 Series - Are BMW’s really a bad car - SLO76
*insurable
BMW 1 Series - Are BMW’s really a bad car - edlithgow

BMW's in general (even more so than German cars in general) tend to die young here (in Taiwan) after an expensive period of terminal care

The plastic degradation already mentioned above hits hard and early in Taiwan conditions, plus parts are especially expensive, and maintenance (even at the overstretched intervals recommended) is likely to be skimped, which all means Taiwan operates as an "accelerated ageing" test rig, and German cars tend to fail that test.

I know of a very nice old 3-Series with one of those plastic slatted rear window covers (once de rigeur on Ford Capri's) which make so much sense here (so are almost unknown) but its very much an exception.

BMW 1 Series - Are BMW’s really a bad car - sajid

What about the deisels slo? Oh and the indicators do they work :)

Edited by sajid on 18/07/2023 at 02:18