BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - Elias$

Hello everyone,

I live in Belgium and I recently bought a BMW 7 Series E38 at an auction. The car had no paper present (no conformity certificate, no logbook, ..) but I learned it was a UK car before, registered in the UK.

Do you know how I could get for example a copy of the V5C logbook of the car and the conformity certificate ? Is it possible while residing outside of the UK ? I've seen it's possible to ask it online at the DVLA but apparently you must have a UK address...

Any help is really welcome,

Thank you in advance,

Elias

BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - sammy1

Does it have a UK reg plate or is it reg in Belgium? IF UK is it possible to make the enquiry from a friend or relatives house? Is there not a time limit on driving cars in another country so would you not have to register it in Belgium if not returning here?

BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - Mike H

I can tell you that DVLA won't tell you anything if you're resident in Belgium. I am a British citizen living in Austria. We took our Austrian registered car to the UK last Christmas, and were subject to a hit and run incident at Dover by a UK registered car. I had a witness and the registration number. I filled in the relevant form on the DVLA website, supplied all the information they asked for and even sent them a cheque for the outrageous sum of £2.50. Despite the damage being caused by a UK registered car on British soil, and me being a British citizen, they wouldn't release the driver's details to me because I lived in Europe, even with a UK contact address. Grossly unfair but just another Brexit benefit.

As an aside, it tells you what century the DVLA are living in when the only method of payment is a cheque :-)

BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - Adampr

I can tell you that DVLA won't tell you anything if you're resident in Belgium. I am a British citizen living in Austria. We took our Austrian registered car to the UK last Christmas, and were subject to a hit and run incident at Dover by a UK registered car. I had a witness and the registration number. I filled in the relevant form on the DVLA website, supplied all the information they asked for and even sent them a cheque for the outrageous sum of £2.50. Despite the damage being caused by a UK registered car on British soil, and me being a British citizen, they wouldn't release the driver's details to me because I lived in Europe, even with a UK contact address. Grossly unfair but just another Brexit benefit.

As an aside, it tells you what century the DVLA are living in when the only method of payment is a cheque :-)

They wouldn't release the driver's details to you because that would be a huge breach of GDPR. If someone has failed to stop after an accident, report it to the police.

BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - focussed

The conformity certificate is issued by the representative of the manufacturer of the car in the country of first registration.- ie BMW UK. It will only be issued in the german language.

BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - Mike H

I completed a police report at the time. The police aren't interested if no-one is injured.

It's one of the legitimate reasons to request another vehicle's details - see DVLA form V888 for details. I completed that form and provided everything they asked for.

BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - Andrew-T

It's one of the legitimate reasons to request another vehicle's details - see DVLA form V888 for details. I completed that form and provided everything they asked for.

Not that many years ago DVLA would sell you the complete ownership history of a vehicle in one's possession. Now a new V5 doesn't even disclose who the previous owner is/was, which IMO is a step too far in data protection.

BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - Brit_in_Germany

I strongly doubt that there would have been a conformity certificate when an E38 was new but you could try BMW in Munich.

Edit: looks like it may have been introduced by a 2007 directive, 2007/46/EC.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 13/07/2023 at 19:46

BMW 7 Series - UK car bought at an auction in Belgium - RT

I strongly doubt that there would have been a conformity certificate when an E38 was new but you could try BMW in Munich.

Edit: looks like it may have been introduced by a 2007 directive, 2007/46/EC.

I had Certificate of Conformity provided in the handbook wallet on several Vauxhalls I bought in the '90s and '00s.