What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Maxime.

Daughter had washer problems and so hubby had to try to solve.

Finally after wrecking the wheel arch liner to get to the bottle, there was a little mesh filter in the pump, full of crud, removed and cleaned with bleach overnight. Now to find a replacement wheelarch liner. Is that important?

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - badbusdriver

Yes, it prevents corrosion from all the water thrown up by the tyre, especially important in winter when the water will have salt in it.

Shouldn't be that difficult to remove though?. No experience of the Venga, but I have removed plenty in my time. Remove wheel first, and mud flap if fitted, then you should have a few clips.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/07/2023 at 08:45

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - elekie&a/c doctor
Apart from muck and water, it also helps with noise reduction from tyres and road . It’s not an mot failure, but needs to be replaced.
Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Andrew-T

No experience of the Venga, but I have removed plenty in my time. Remove wheel first, and mud flap if fitted, then you should have a few clips.

In my limited experience the problem is with those clips (or studs). They often don't survive removal so you have to find the correct replacement. Peanuts on E-bay, but there are lots of varieties.

Yes, and bugs always get to the antifreeze in the bottle after a year or two. Rather than adding bleach, I siphon out the bottle and flush it with water a few times before refilling. If bugs have taken hold, after using the screenwash the wipers often leave pale streaks.

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/07/2023 at 09:32

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Falkirk Bairn

The crud in the washer bottle might be a growth of bacteria.

Solve the bacteria issue buy occasionally crumbling "baby bottle cleanser" AKA Milton

once in a while.

£1 will buy enough tablets to solve the problem for the "whole street"

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - badbusdriver

Now to find a replacement wheelarch liner.

Not sure which side you need, but there is both left and right front wheel arch liners on Ebay currently for £35 each, also clips (x 10) for under £5.

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Bromptonaut

My late Mother out Law's Astra had this issue. Crud in the bottle looked for all the world like waterlogged facial tissues. IIRC the Astra predated the current practice of putting the washer tank in the wheel arch. Instead it was bolted to the engine bay rear bulkhead.

Easy enough to remove. take inside and thoroughly clean.

That sorted it but the problem returned at least once more after a year or so.

Wheel arch liner, F/oside not available on ebay, Kia dealer was £52.66 inc vat with all the screws, studs and clips. ordered, can collect tomorrow. while there got an original oil filter and sump washer £12 inc vat. another job for hubby.

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - John F

This was discussed two years ago after my experience of the unintended consequence of using soft smear-free butt water;.......

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=156877

.......... its microbial content easily creates a resilient biofilm which clogs the filter and is impossible to remove by mere flushing. I'm surprised the enterprising garage service industry doesn't advocate an annual complete emptying, flush and refill of the washer bottle rather than just a top-up.

Edited by John F on 05/07/2023 at 11:34

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Xileno

I am certain that mixing types of screen wash doesn't help. I've suffered from exactly the same problem with my old Focus and the bottle is buried behind the wheelarch liner as well. About ten years ago I flushed it all out again and then only used the same brand (ASDA's best at 100% strength) and so far the problem has not returned.

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Andrew-T

... the bottle is buried behind the wheelarch liner as well.

I have just flushed and refilled both screenwash reservoirs on my Pug 205 - one under the bonnet, the other in the boot. Both easy to get at. The boot one is attached by 2 screws so the tank is easily emptied and given a good shake with fresh water before refilling. Some strange dark brown gubbins appeared.

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Bromptonaut

I have just flushed and refilled both screenwash reservoirs on my Pug 205 - one under the bonnet, the other in the boot. Both easy to get at. The boot one is attached by 2 screws so the tank is easily emptied and given a good shake with fresh water before refilling. Some strange dark brown gubbins appeared.

The bottles in the BX, both front and rear, were in the scuttle under the windscreen. Again dead easy to remove and take into the house for a proper clean now and then.

At some time, possibly adopting a kid's misnomer, we started referring to the cars squash bottles. It stuck and we're still using the term now.

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - sammy1

The bottles in the BX, both front and rear, were in the scuttle under the windscreen. Again dead easy to remove and take into the house for a proper clean now and then.

At some time, possibly adopting a kid's misnomer, we started referring to the cars squash bottles. It stuck and we're still using the term now.

Yes brilliant designs on most cars for simple things things that go wrong and you have to take half a car apart to get at it.

Amazed though that someone could wreck a whole wheel liner most have lost their rag with the thing. Can they not duck tape it or botch something considering where it is and what it does.

Regarding the squash bottle thing, we were motoring along and a sign was read by one of the kids as """loose chickens"" instead of course chippings. So that's what the signs have become in our house.

Amazed though that someone could wreck a whole wheel liner most have lost their rag with the thing. Can they not duck tape it or botch something considering where it is and what it does.

Reply from Hubby:

It is a nearly 13 year old car, and everything to take off, screws clips and bits and bobs were all unmovable. I considered the cost of taking it to a mechanic, who would only have replaced the pump, ( a small fortune for a Kia pump) and his time. Cost of one liner and cleaning the mesh filter £52. Can't see it being any less any other way. Wd40 didnt budge anything.

Perhaps you who now it all could suggest alternative?

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - sammy1

Reply from Hubby:

It is a nearly 13 year old car, and everything to take off, screws clips and bits and bobs were all unmovable. I considered the cost of taking it to a mechanic, who would only have replaced the pump, ( a small fortune for a Kia pump) and his time. Cost of one liner and cleaning the mesh filter £52. Can't see it being any less any other way. Wd40 didnt budge anything.

Ah that explains it Not surprised hubby could not get it off. Not a popular car so not much chance of finding one in a scape yard. probably be fine until winter so you could go on looking for a cheap replacement one may crop up on E bay

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - bathtub tom

I would have tried putting an air line on the washer pipe to blow back and possibly remove any blockage, then sticking a hose into the washer bottle filler to flush it out.

I would have tried putting an air line on the washer pipe to blow back and possibly remove any blockage, then sticking a hose into the washer bottle filler to flush it out.

Both tried beforehand including boiling hot water..

But thanks any way.

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Metropolis.

This was discussed two years ago after my experience of the unintended consequence of using soft smear-free butt water;.......

I can’t be the only one to giggle at this.. !
Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - _

I can’t be the only one to giggle at this.. !

was it slightly acidic or alkaline or just bacterial

Edited by _ORB_ on 05/07/2023 at 20:12

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - Engineer Andy

I recall somewhere on The Net reading how it's a good idea to use cheap spirits (booze, e.g. vodka) or commercial alcohol to temporarily replace the washer fluid to strilise it and help clean out all the gunk. I wonder whether you also may need to heat it to help the task?

I also do recall someone saying they used a steridant type tablet (either those used to strile false teeth or baby feeding material) for a similar purpose by popping the tablet into the bottle and letting it do its fizzy work (with ordinary water [hot?] only).

Update. Washer bottle was removed but unable to disconnect the wiring to the pump, so removed and left hanging. metal gauze filter soaked in bleah and hot water overnight and all refitted and tested. When the wheel arch liner arrives tomorrow, (there were some missing screws so will collect all at once) that will go back on.

Only one brand of waher fluid in future!!

Kia Venga - Blocked filter on washer bottle - edlithgow

Vaguely remember improvising a wheel arch liner from a bin bag, with a little sunflower oil in it. This goes off slowly and sticks the two sides together, giving the resultant sheet a bit of shape holding capability.

More SFO painted on the inside of the wheel arch helped hold it in place.

Cant remember which car, or how long it lasted