Suzuki S Cross - UCB
Just saw a new Suzuki S Cross locally, first one I’ve seen and it looks good. Reading up and it seems to be compared to the Yaris Cross, Captur, kamiq etc however it looks bigger than those cars. I actually wondered if it was Suzukis version of the Toyota Corolla Cross - a car which is still not available in the UK for some reason? I know Suzuki have their versions of Toyota Corolla touring (Swace) and RAV4 (Across). Anyway, I’m surprised that I haven’t seen a S Cross until today.
Suzuki S Cross - SLO76
Seen a few of them locally, I quite like them. We’ve a fairly large (for Suzuki) dealer nearby who seems to be quite successful in shifting metal. I’d buy one.
Suzuki S Cross - Falkirk Bairn

Suzuki S Cross - Automated manual gearbox!!!

Even Toyota could not get an AMG right!

Suzuki S Cross - UCB
According to my research two models are available, a manual gearbox with the entry-level 1.4 mild-hybrid engine, and an automatic with the 1.5 hybrid.
Suzuki S Cross - Engineer Andy
According to my research two models are available, a manual gearbox with the entry-level 1.4 mild-hybrid engine, and an automatic with the 1.5 hybrid.

The 'auto' is not a traditional one, or even a 'dual clutch' type found in VAGs, etc - it's a single clutch automated manual, the same one they now fit to its stablemate, the current Vitara (with the same engine lineup).

That 'auto' gearbox doesn't get the best reviews (see the reviews section for both cars) as it apparently isn't what you'd call 'smooth'. The ordinary manual seems to be fine, however.

Suzuki S Cross - SLO76
I’m no fan of single clutch automated manuals in operation, I’ve yet to drive one that was pleasant in use. They tend to be a bit slow, but they’re generally much more robust than twin clutch boxes. Most modern coaches use them and they rarely go wrong, some of the Volvo LWB Elites I used to drive were approaching a million miles and on their original gearboxes.

I’m surprised Suzuki went down this route with a hybrid, the norm is some sort of CVT setup. I’m assuming it’s a mild hybrid then? It would certainly be best to take a substantial test drive to see if one could get on with it before committing as they’re nowhere near as smooth as a conventional torque converter box or a CVT.
Suzuki S Cross - badbusdriver

I’m surprised Suzuki went down this route with a hybrid, the norm is some sort of CVT setup. I’m assuming it’s a mild hybrid then? It would certainly be best to take a substantial test drive to see if one could get on with it before committing as they’re nowhere near as smooth as a conventional torque converter box or a CVT.

All Suzuki Swift, Vitara and S-Cross auto models (that is both full and mild hybrids) use a single clutch automated manual (AGS) like our Ignis (the Ignis, Swace and Across use CVT).

And no, not great things to use. Having said that, you can avoid unnecessary gear changes by using manual mode and relying on the torque.

Suzuki S Cross - Ethan Edwards

The S Cross has been around since 2013. It's the bigger brother of the Vitara. Has been badged as the SX4 S Cross. I test drove one in 2019 that had the 1.4turbo engine. Decided I liked the engine but preferred it in the smaller, lighter Vitara S.

Suzuki S Cross - Adampr

The S Cross has been around since 2013. It's the bigger brother of the Vitara. Has been badged as the SX4 S Cross. I test drove one in 2019 that had the 1.4turbo engine. Decided I liked the engine but preferred it in the smaller, lighter Vitara S.

Isn't a new one now? Or was the old just facelifted? God knows, it needed it.

Suzuki S Cross - Ethan Edwards

At a guess.. face lift. 1.4t now mild hybrid too. I preferred the non hybrid 1.4t.. Still was a decent car even with that big chromey grill.