New Hyundai loniq 5N - sammy1

"""And concerned that some drivers still think hot EVs are a bit dull, the firm has introduced non-performance features to try and win over the doubters.

As such there’s an N e-Shift system which mimics the behaviour of an eight-speed DCT by simulating the jolts you’d get if the car actually had gears, and the 10-speaker sound system plays different noise themes so you can pretend you’re driving everything from a 2.0-litre turbo - a la i30 N - or a fighter jet…""

The above is an extract from a Top Gear article which put a smile on my face EV designers wanting to give a proper car feel. I don't know about the jolting gearbox though not my general experience.

Typo in subject corrected to assist anyone using the Search facility - Mod

Edited by Xileno on 29/06/2023 at 11:47

New Hyundai lonig 5N - badbusdriver

The irony is that you shouldn't really get jolts on a DCT, the whole point being near instantaneous gear changes for seamless acceleration.

The reason Lamborghini stuck with the single clutch automated manual on the top of the range V12 models, Murcielago through into the Aventador, is because they reckoned their customers wanted that near violent gear changes of the old school transmission.

But wanting to mimic a more conventional auto is why "stepped" CVT's exist.

Going back to the first part of the quote, surely the drivers who find EV performance a little dull do so because of the lack of ICE engine noise rather than a lack of gear changes?

Sorry, just noticed that they are also offering engine noises. Not sure i'd bother with anything other than the jet fighter. That could be fun with kids in the car!

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/06/2023 at 11:03

New Hyundai lonig 5N - FP

I find it hard to believe potential EV customers are put off by the lack of gear changes, engine noise etc. Or maybe it's only those who have more money than sense.

Nor do I believe An EV is any less a "proper car". No-one thought synchromesh gearboxes were anything other than a boon when introduced, saving all that double-declutching and producing smoother gearchanges - the same with electric starters replacing the starting-handle.

There will always be those who are nostalgic for the old days, but things were not necessarily better in the past.

P.S. It's "Ioniq", isn't it? (is now - Mod)

Edited by Xileno on 29/06/2023 at 11:47

I find it hard to believe potential EV customers are put off by the lack of gear changes, engine noise etc.

Can't see there being many, but inevitably there will be some (such as a typical Top Gear magazine journalist, and reader!).

New Hyundai lonig 5N - Terry W

There a whole segment of motoring public who belong to the "because it can" club.

There is no compelling reason (actually little reason at all) to have configurable sport modes, suspension settings, ambient lighting settings, 10 speed gearboxes, paddle shift controls on autos, etc.

Yet some folk seem willing to stump up the hard earned. If they want an EV configured to sound and drive like a bus then they should be free to indulge - however daft I think they may be.

There a whole segment of motoring public who belong to the "because it can" club.

There is no compelling reason (actually little reason at all) to have configurable sport modes, suspension settings, ambient lighting settings, 10 speed gearboxes, paddle shift controls on autos, etc.

I don't read motoring magazines these days (because they are full of cars I have no interest in whatsoever). But when I still did, it was common for a long term test report on some fancy pants German executive/performance car, for the journo running it to say how they had tried all these different settings and modes over the first week or so, but then just left it in the default setting for the remaining 3-6 months they had it!.

Yet some folk seem willing to stump up the hard earned. If they want an EV configured to sound and drive like a bus then they should be free to indulge - however daft I think they may be.

I believe in a Tesla you can have a whoopee cushion effect, certainly for the front seats, possibly rears too. I find it difficult to imagine Audi BMW or Merc having such a thing, they take themselves way too seriously for that!

New Hyundai lonig 5N - Ian_SW

Having an electric car which makes fake engine noises is right up there with the army doing an exercise with toy guns and shouting "Bang".

A far cheaper option would be to put a three year old in the back of a Renault Zoe and let the toddler shout "brum, bruuuuum, bruuuuuuuuuummmm" instead.

If they want to make an electric car simulate an ICE car, the need to do it properly. It should also be fitted with a fake clutch and gear lever . If when "pushing on" you accidentally select 2nd rather than 4th on a downshift, the car should make loud metallic noises through its loudspeakers. It should then refuse to go any further until you pay a fake garage £2000 to "repair" the fake gearbox.......

New Hyundai lonig 5N - movilogo

EV manufacturers should stop spending on features to mimic ICE cars.

Rather they should focus on reducing price of EVs.

People are avoiding EVs because they are expensive (and sometimes impractical).

EV manufacturers should stop spending on features to mimic ICE cars.

Rather they should focus on reducing price of EVs.

People are avoiding EVs because they are expensive (and sometimes impractical).

Doing so will cost pennies (relatively), just some minor programming.

New Hyundai lonig 5N - Chris M

"A far cheaper option would be to put a three year old in the back of a Renault Zoe and let the toddler shout "brum, bruuuuum, bruuuuuuuuuummmm" instead."

Got me wondering if three year olds sit in the back of EVs at motorway services asking "Are we charged yet?"

New Hyundai lonig 5N - _

"A far cheaper option would be to put a three year old in the back of a Renault Zoe and let the toddler shout "brum, bruuuuum, bruuuuuuuuuummmm" instead."

Got me wondering if three year olds sit in the back of EVs at motorway services asking "Are we charged yet?"

DOH...

New Hyundai lonig 5N - sammy1

DOH...

Yes but if you haven't got a 3 year old they are fairly easy to acquire but darn expensive to run!

Ps ionig 5N bit of a silly name and for weeks a thought is was ionig nice looking car though if a bit wide

Edited by sammy1 on 29/06/2023 at 18:22

DOH...

Yes but if you haven't got a 3 year old they are fairly easy to acquire but darn expensive to run!

Ps ionig 5N bit of a silly name and for weeks a thought is was ionig nice looking car though if a bit wide

I thought we'd established that it is Ioniq, not Ionig?

Also, is Ionic any sillier a name than Golf, Focus, Astra, Up!, M3?

New Hyundai lonig 5N - Brit_in_Germany

Is there a dual motor version, the bioniq?

Is there a dual motor version, the bioniq?

:-)

There certainly should be!

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/06/2023 at 19:32

New Hyundai lonig 5N - Adampr

It's a nice looking car from a distance, the Ioniq 5. Up close it has a bit of a whiff of 1980s Amstrad midi system. Compared the Ioniq 6, which as an absolute visual abomination, I suppose it's beautiful.

As for silly fake engine noises, plenty of ICE cars have that particular feature too. God knows why, probably to cover up the tyre roar.

New Hyundai lonig 5N - sammy1

DOH...

I thought we'd established that it is Ioniq, not Ionig?

Also, is Ionic any sillier a name than Golf, Focus, Astra, Up!, M3?

Sorry it was corrected in the opening post but carries on incorrectly so I just copied the one above. It is not a ""word" I want to retain in my memory bank in any case.

New Hyundai lonig 5N - JonestHon

The irony is that you shouldn't really get jolts on a DCT, the whole point being near instantaneous gear changes for seamless acceleration.

The reason Lamborghini stuck with the single clutch automated manual on the top of the range V12 models, Murcielago through into the Aventador, is because they reckoned their customers wanted that near violent gear changes of the old school transmission.

But wanting to mimic a more conventional auto is why "stepped" CVT's exist.

Going back to the first part of the quote, surely the drivers who find EV performance a little dull do so because of the lack of ICE engine noise rather than a lack of gear changes?

Sorry, just noticed that they are also offering engine noises. Not sure i'd bother with anything other than the jet fighter. That could be fun with kids in the car!

The loudest Jet fighter I ever heard taking off was the F4, literally could make your ears bleed if you stood too close without protection. The F16 in another take iff was a pussy cat in comparison.

New Hyundai lonig 5N - madf

EVs in car parks need to make noises to warn pedestrians: many of whom have other things on their minds...

New Hyundai lonig 5N - Adampr

EVs in car parks need to make noises to warn pedestrians: many of whom have other things on their minds...

They do.

New Hyundai lonig 5N - Andrew-T

They do.

Adam, I assume you mean they make noises, not have things on their minds ? Or both ? :-)

New Hyundai loniq 5N - mcb100
www.gov.uk/government/news/new-noise-systems-to-st...y