What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tow Car - Pipt

Hi,

I currently do around 20000 miles per year in a ford fiesta. I now am needing to tow occasionally (maybe 8 weekends a year) and so need a new car. The towing weight will be low, approx 1000kg.

My budget is £20000 and ideally would like 2019 or newer.

Due to a long commute mpg is important and I would like at least to get 43mpg as I do in the fiesta. I dont really want diseal, or a big suv if can get away with it. I like the ford and while the puma or focus has the towing capacity unsure if the 1ltr ecoboost will last.

Any thoughts from you all would really help!

Thanks

Tow Car - focussed

If you need to tow regularly, diesel is better, more low speed torque etc.

We've got a 2022 4x4 Duster 1.5 diesel and tow a 1000 to 1200 kg loaded trailer - firewood etc. It's a tough sturdy little car with a lively engine with plenty of power. It pulls well from about 1500 rpm.

Economy is in the range 45 to 50 mpg, could do more if you try with the eco setting.

First gear is a low ratio ideal for manoeuvring and hill starts with a trailer.

Why not consider a new one?

www.dacia.co.uk/new-stock/car-details.html?product...1

Or if that's too rich look for an ex demo at around £20K

Tow Car - Adampr

If you want a 'proper' car, a VW Golf / Seat Leon / Skoda Octavia seems the go-to option. They're all the same car under the skin but packaged differently.

A 1.5tsi will easily be able to tow 1,000kg and will give you 45mpg on your commute.

Tow Car - SLO76
I wouldn’t touch a Ford 1.0 Ecoboost (or Ecoboom as their own mechanics call them) certainly not as a used purchase and even less so for towing. I’d tend to veer away from diesels these days due to reliability issues and concerns with future LEZ legislation, but the Honda Civic or CRV 1.6 DTEC have a good reputation if regular long runs are carried out to allow DPF regen.

What I’d be looking at here with circa 40mpg economy, space and economy in mind plus a nice dose of style and driver enjoyment would be a Mazda 6 2.0 Skyactiv petrol, preferably the estate. These are great cars in every regard. Don’t touch the diesels though, they’re murder for engine failures.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/06/2023 at 17:25

Tow Car - Bromptonaut

What is it you plan to tow?

Caravans are a different prospect to horseboxes and both are different to boats.

Tow Car - Pipt

Thanks for the replies.

I will be looking to tow a small caravan.

Tow Car - focussed

What is it you plan to tow?

Caravans are a different prospect to horseboxes and both are different to boats.

Yes - they are all a different shape aren't they?