What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - John F

I've just seen this comment posted in another thread.

...... like wiper blades, I don`t wait until I can hardly see through screen to replace, I do so every year except if they show signs of not clearing screen properly, I then replace even if they are only 6 months old...........

I disagreed with it so much that I thought it might be worth debating in a separate thread rather than just a reply. I think wiper blades are probably a bit like tyres - impossible to assess quality just by looking at them. The OM ones on our Peugeot are nearly 4yrs and 20,000 miles old and show no sign of deterioration. I have not had to replace the ones on my 17yr old Audi during my 9yrs and 25,000 miles of ownership; I have no idea how old they are. They might well be original as there is no record of replacement in its service history. 'Buy the best (you can afford), make it last' has always worked for me, but how do you apply this to wiper blades?

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - paul 1963

Must admit changing them every year is a bit excessive unless the car is constantly driven in a really harsh environment, I replace them as soon as I notice a drop off in performance, I always use Bosch blades.

Thinking back last couple of times I've changed a blade it's been the rear rather than front?

No idea why the rear wore quicker though?

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Xileno

I do a visual inspection each time I wash the car, paying particular attention to the ends. Any sign of splitting then I replace them. They probably last about three years. I always have a spare set in the boot should I be caught out.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Adampr

I wait until they either make an annoying noise or don't clear the screen, then I buy new ones.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - FP

About 18 months or so ago I replaced all three wipers (incl. blades) on the Mazda CX-5. The car is was about seven years old at the time and seemed to have the originals.

The replacements were Bosch and I have been hugely impressed with their performance.

I really don't see the need to replace items like this more often than necessary; it's pretty obvious when they stop working properly.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - badbusdriver

I'd imagine that whether or not the car lives in a garage makes quite a bit of difference here, also whether or not the car in question is an everyday car or a (especially if garaged) weekend/special-occasion toy. As to how frequently I change either those on my van or the car, I have no idea as I'm not interested enough to give it any thought, or keep records!.

They get changed when they need changing, end of.

In 34 years of driving I've never had the experience of, during the course of one journey, the wiper blades deteriorating to the extent that I felt it too risky to carry on. So it has never even cross my mind to keep spare wiper blades in the car/van.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - gordonbennet

Change when needed.

The way to help them last is to lift them from the screen when you wash the car with wax shampoo (or clean them with multisurface cleaner afterwards) and to lift them from the screen when parked during really hot weather assuming your drive isn't accessible from the we steal anything not welded in place fraternity.

They almost always park leaning one way, lift and 'park' them leaning the other way when you remember, this will help stop skidding and screeching too (this applies espacially to rear wipers), also keep that screen clean of flies and dirt, letting your blades scrape off weeks old insect squash will wear them out quickly and the oily bits of their bodies smear everything.

I keep some multisurface cleaner in a squeegy bottle in my work bag, when i'm likely to need the wipers or if the screen is dusty i spary some on whilst starting up then by the time i've opened the gates driven out and relocked the mix will have done its job, couple of wipes hery presto spotless screen.

Yes i do have a thing about clean windows and mirrors, the last close shave i had in a car was a Fiesta driver coming the other way around a left hand bend was blinded by the low sun (his filthy screen not helping, could barely see him) he was almost fully on my side of the road, it was only the 4WD grip on our Forester which allowed me to take fully to the grass verge without braking thus avoiding a serous head on crash.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/06/2023 at 10:50

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Andrew-T

They almost always park leaning one way, lift and 'park' them leaning the other way when you remember, this will help stop skidding and screeching too (this applies espacially to rear wipers),

Yes, change them when they stop doing their job or start to split. Many MoT testers like commenting on this before you may notice.

Different cars have various kinds of blade attachment. The large front blade on my 207 is attached at a central pivot, so it can be used either way round, equalising edge wear. Juddering on the screen often happens after a long dry spell, so cleaning the screen properly should help.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - mcb100
A ‘new’ used car will get new blades, then change them as they stop doing the job for which they were intended.
I don’t use them over a frosty/frozen windscreen.
Usually Bosch Aero types (the floppy ones without the metal supports).
That’s it. Wiper blades.
Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Bromptonaut

Usually Bosch but have bought Valeo in France where they were way cheaper than in UK.

Change them when they are noisy or no longer do the job properly. Probably every 18 months or so but a cold winter can reduce their life - alcohol in winter screenwash is said to harden th rubber.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Steveieb

Had to resort to Toyota original blades to stop a juddering on my Verso.

Then found that the Bosch replacement was a different size to the originals.

But what effect does a spoiler have on a car travelling at normal speeds? Are they really necessary ?

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Bolt

But what effect does a spoiler have on a car travelling at normal speeds? Are they really necessary ?

Idea is in heavy rain to stop the blade doing what tyres can do, aquaplane over the water on screen instead of clearing the water off the glass at high speeds, not so sure being a spoiler they work under 50mph but depending on angle of screen and wind pressure .

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Big John

Generally if my wiper blades were not working fully as they should I cleaned the blade tip with vinegar and that usually restored normal service. However with my previous commute on an icy morning the defrosting process sometimes hammered the blade surface - I usually got away with a vinegar wipe for a while but eventually I needed new blades, albeit after a few years later.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - edlithgow
I have a couple of lengths of hosepipe that I fit over the blades if I remember, otherwise the sun here in Taiwan destroys them in about a year.

Wipers are seldom needed, though.
Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - barney100

Worth cleaning the blade with washer fluid before changing them, often improves the performance.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Halmerend
I’ve just replaced both rubbers on the frameless Civic ones for £3 off e*** rather than buy the whole thing and they’re absolutely fine.
Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Smileyman

I replace as needed to see comfortably, front or rear windows. I don't know whether frost is a relevant factor, perhaps this will bring forwards the need for earlier change. Last year I replaced the drivers' side front and rear blades on the Toledo, 80k miles 5 years, recently the passenger front side. Have been buying Bosch products to match the original manufacturer for the front however Halfords didn't have a suitable Bosch rear blade so I purchased their own branded product.

Unless falling apart I keep the old blades in the boot as an emergency spare, in case of theft or sudden failure.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - daveyjp
Changed mine a couple of months ago as they were becoming useless. Car is 3.5 years old and they were probably factory original.
Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Catfood

My 63Reg Citroen C4 Picasso with 110,000 miles old is still with the original wiper blade and no sign of deterioration yet....That's unless the dealer changed it without telling me for goodwill...which is very unlikely.....

Edited by Catfood on 26/06/2023 at 08:13

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - sajid

I changed mine when it starts smearing, changed from valeo to michellin.

Wiper blades - how often to replace? Which makes are best? - Andrew-T

My 63Reg Citroen C4 Picasso with 110,000 miles old is still with the original wiper blade and no sign of deterioration yet....That's unless the dealer changed it without telling me for goodwill...which is very unlikely.....

I don't believe anyone has created a wiper blade which does not deteriorate over 10 years use, so there must be some explanation. I doubt it would make business sense to make one anyway, as not many would pay the necessary premium ?