Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - ma9gm

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Ford Focus Estate. There are 2 I could potentially go for which are very very similar. They are both 1.0t Ecoboost petrols. One is a 2017 Reg, but with 103k miles on the clock (£8k), and the other is 2014 Reg with 60k on the clock (£7.25k). We'll mainly be using it to dry short distances around town. Is it better to go low miles but older, or younger with more miles?

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - Adampr

Generally, I'd say low miles and older but, for an Ecoboost, you might say that the newer ones are less likely to fail and one that's managed 103k already is probably OK.

So is there something in the Ecoboost system that fails easily over time? The other thing I was trying to work out is the miles on the newer one are likely to be "motorway miles". Whereas the older one are likely not. Does that make much of a difference?

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - Andrew-T

Anything to choose between their service or MoT histories ?

Not that I can work out. One is the titanium version Vs the zetec version. But I can't when out what the difference is. They seem super similar. The older one has a lower yearly tax for some reason. Would you say they are pretty much very similar?

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - Sprice

It's noteworthy these engines have "wet" cambelts and are very expensive to replace (every 100k miles or 10 years??); the 17 plate car may have had this done; the 14 plate prob not. It's about £1200 to replace if someone is prepared to do it. Here's a video of an independent doing it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rG-P1evthg

Edited by Sprice on 18/06/2023 at 07:11

That's really helpful. So it's worth asking the 102k garage if the belts been changed

Yes, worth asking. AFAIA they changed to a chain in 2020-ish, but both the above will be belt. The belt has a habit of leaving debris on the oil pick up strainer too; have a look at some videos online. Some even propose it's quicker and easier to just replace the engine than change the belt as it's so labour intensive and special equipment is needed, which some garages may not have.

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - badbusdriver

I really wouldn't put much faith in an Ecoboost. Maybe if you live somewhere remote and no other options nearby, but otherwise no!.

A look on Autotrader shows a whole host of other estates (within a similar budget) less likely to cause you grief (including the Focus with the n/a 1.6). Toyota Auris (probably top choice for reliability), Vauxhall Astra 1.6, Kia Ceed, Hyundai i30. You could also include smaller 7 seat MPV's (with 3rd row seats folded, space would be on a par with a Focus size estate) like the Mazda 5, Toyota Verso, Vauxhall Zafira Tourer, Ford C-Max (1.6), Kia Carens.

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - galileo

It's noteworthy these engines have "wet" cambelts and are very expensive to replace (every 100k miles or 10 years??); the 17 plate car may have had this done; the 14 plate prob not. It's about £1200 to replace if someone is prepared to do it. Here's a video of an independent doing it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rG-P1evthg

This next link is to a stripdown of a 1,0 ecoboost: not only does the cambelt look in very fragile condition, the oil-immersed belt which drives the oil pump only has 7 teeth left, the rest are in the sump and oil pickup, so cam, crank and big end bearings are damaged through oil starvation

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yx1-50iqnA

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - S40 Man

In my experience (family has 2014 1.0 ecoboost) they are decent reliable cars.

Is the interior/infotainment newer on the 2017 model? Our 2014 car only has a monotone display and no built in screen for sat nav. Consequently it feels a lot older than my 2016 Vauxhall Astra K 1.6 Turbo.

For similar money you could possibly get an 16 plate Astra but the Focus is a good car.

Also... Is there any other cars you'd recommend? We have a Peugeot 308 estate diesel. We only do short journeys and it's knackering out the engine. There's always something to do with the cleaning system that's breaking. We want another estate, but petrol. Any recommendations on a petrol estate that's reliable? We don't have a massive amount of money so looking for something that's not going to break on us all the time. We don't care about fancy! Just a big boot! Any thoughts?

I'm personally a fan of Honda cars, have had several because they're very reliable and subjectively good to drive. I currently have a 8th gen 2009 1.8 Civic which is very reliable, good on fuel (I average about 44 mpg which is calculated manually, not the onboard display) and looks good to me.

If an estate, I'd go for a 9th generation Civic 1.8 tourer, 9th gen are from 2012 to 2017, the tourer came along in about 2014; the 1.8 has a cam chain too so no belt to worry about.

Hopefully others such as SLO will offer their usual good advice too; they'll even have a search of good cars in your local area if you tell them your area.

That's really helpful. I'd started to look at Toyota Auris because of what a previous poster had said. But I'll have a look at the Civic too.

I live near Bury St Edmunds. However, I'm happy to drive a distance for the right car.

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - SLO76
The 1.0 Ecoboost engine has a bad reputation for failures and as already mentioned the i****ically designed belt in bath timing belt is unnecessarily complex and costly to do. It’s not an engine I’d recommend to you, especially at this age and mileage. I am happy to recommend the very same car with the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol however. These are very robust engines and although a bit less efficient they’re smooth and have just enough power. Don’t let any salesperson talk you into an ecoboost (Fords own mechanics call it Ecoboom) or the notoriously fragile Powershift autos.

A Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv petrol is a great used option, these are good on fuel and the chain driven normally aspirated engine is bulletproof if looked after.

Toyota Auris 1.6/1.2T is another robust car, the hybrid 1.8 is the one everyone wants and commands more money though.

Honda Civic 1.4/1.8 petrol is a very tough and practical car. The 1.4 is more plentiful and noticeably cheaper if you don’t mind having less power. Early (2012) 1.8’s could use a bit of oil so I’d look for one post 2013. I’d leave the later gen cars as both the 1.0 turbo and 1.5 turbo have issues unbecoming of the Honda name.

Thank you so much for your help on this. That's so helpful. As I look at a few Yaris. What's the difference between a 1.3 dual vvt and a 1.2vvt?

I look at a few Yaris. What's the difference between a 1.3 dual vvt and a 1.2vvt?

There is no 1.2 Yaris, however they are all reliable.

But I am confused as to why you'd be looking at a Focus estate if a Yaris is enough for your needs?.

It was because there was a focus just down the road from us that we could test drive. So it was an easy start. Also the focus was a lot cheaper than the Yaris

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306098324384?a...3

I was just looking at this car and noticed auto trader is saying it's priced at £2k below market value. Can you see a reason why it would be this much cheaper? Or is Auto trader just being silly?

No mention of service history, so I would ask about that and get the registration to check the MOT history.

Looks great value, the estate is much more useful than the hatchback and there’s little to be concerned about regarding reliability especially if you service it with your local Toyota dealer you get 12mths warranty for free - assuming that offer is still on? These rarely go wrong anyway.

The dealer is a Suzuki main dealer and this is likely a trade in, possibly against Suzuki’s version of the Toyota Corolla Hybrid. It might well just be a boomin good car at a very decent price. I’d certainly get on the blower asap and get the reg no to check the Mot history and I’d ask about service history. If it stacks up then get over there quickly to take a look before it gets snapped up.

It is a bit cheap compared to others, but prices are starting to drop back to less insane levels and I’ve notice that Autotraders price guide hasn’t adapted with this and is often a fair bit out. It’s a good model with little to be concerned about plus it’s an easy sell when you’re done with it, Toyota estates are no trouble at all to flog on.

Do all the usual checks, look for poor paint repairs and ask to see the HPI report. Scrutinise the service record and take a drive while listening for any unusual knocks, clunks or rattles. This should be smooth and near silent on the road. If it was a hybrid version it would be substantially dearer as the taxi trade are going mad for them but you’d never get the extra money back in fuel savings as the 1.2 turbo is already excellent on fuel, 50mpg plus should be possible.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/06/2023 at 16:51

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - catsdad

The Auris on the dealers website shows it’s been reduced by £2k to its present price. So it has been on sale at around the AT recommended price. It may just be that it’s sat for a few weeks and they have cut the price to move it on.
it looks good, subject to checks already suggested.

Edited by catsdad on 18/06/2023 at 17:13

Ford Focus - Miles Vs Age on a Ford Focus - skidpan

Yes, worth asking. AFAIA they changed to a chain in 2020-ish,

Who told you that? Load of nonsense. Were belts and still are belts.

Here you go chuckles

www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/132330-ford-fi.../

So we test drove the Auris and it seemed decent enough. I was going to try and test drive the civic but there are none near by. The nearest one is about 2 hours drive away. It looks like the Civic has the advantage of being bigger than the Auris.

Slight frustration though... As I was driving back from the test drive, a stone hit our windscreen on the motorway and cause a big crack on our Peugeot!!! So that's going to reduce the trade in value!!!

Also... In light of the cracked windscreen (about 30cm long on the passenger side). Do you think I should get it fixed before part exchanging it? Or just part exchange with the crack? I have insurance through direct line so I could get it done through that. What do you think?

Also... In light of the cracked windscreen (about 30cm long on the passenger side). Do you think I should get it fixed before part exchanging it? Or just part exchange with the crack? I have insurance through direct line so I could get it done through that. What do you think?

Re the Civic being bigger, given you have also considered a Yaris (which presumably would suffice?) is any extra space it offers over an Auris really an advantage?.

As for the windscreen, I'd suggest you get it done yourself. If you do it, its only the cost of the excess, but if you leave it to the garage you part-ex at, they will knock off the price of a windscreen.

It's mainly because the Auris is actually thinner and the boot is an odd shape. So it's not as good for getting furniture in. The civic looks like a good shape but there aren't really any that are near enough.

That's really helpful about the windscreen.

It's mainly because the Auris is actually thinner and the boot is an odd shape. So it's not as good for getting furniture in. The civic looks like a good shape but there aren't really any that are near enough.

That's really helpful about the windscreen.

If you are moving furniture, a van would be better ;-)

But seriously, yes the Civic is probably the most spacious car in its class, barring the Skoda Octavia.

Weird though that some manufacturers go the extra mile when designing rear suspension so load space intrusion is minimal while others don't really bother?. As far back as 1980, when Peugeot introduced the estate version of the 305 (equivalent to Golf or Focus now), it used a design of rear suspension which resulted in virtually no intrusion into the load space.

My wife asked me if there was a 7 seater MPV that's reliable like the Auris or civic? Any ideas?

My wife asked me if there was a 7 seater MPV that's reliable like the Auris or civic? Any ideas?

The problem with MPVs is that they went out of fashion a few years back so most of the prevalent ones are old and most of those are diesel.

You could look at a Toyota Estima. It's an import, but the twill only really affect insurance a bit (as long as it's undersealed).

Also worth looking for a good Mazda 5.

Ford Galaxy and Vauxhall Zafira will be moderately reliable and are cheap to fix. A Chevrolet zorlamd is basically a Zafira underneath.

Toyota Verso is the obvious choice as it shares its underpinnings with the Auris. Officially they were sold up to 2018, but due to falling out of fashion next to SUV's, you will probably struggle to find one (with petrol engine and reasonable miles) newer than 2014/5.

Also the Kia Carens and Mazda 5 mentioned above.

Though bear in mind, none of the above will be suitable for 7 adults (unless very short journey!).

Thank you so much for this. Really helpful.

Another question on the cracked windscreen... I've booked in a repair but they can't do it until next week Tuesday. It's only cracked on the outside glass right up the other side by the passenger seat. Am I safe to drive the car? I really need the car for work etc.

Another question on the cracked windscreen... I've booked in a repair but they can't do it until next week Tuesday. It's only cracked on the outside glass right up the other side by the passenger seat. Am I safe to drive the car? I really need the car for work etc.

In simple terms I would say yes. The crack may result in a MoT fail, but it is unlikely that you might be stopped as a danger to traffic. I did once drive about 30 miles with an almost completely crazed screen after an impact, but I wouldn't advise it after dark !

Re your earlier query, you could ask the place you are thinking of selling to, how it would affect your trade-in value, compared with your insurance repair, before making your decision.

Thank you for that. Turns out it was cheaper to get it through the insurance. In fact quite a lot cheaper. Good it booked in for Tuesday to be replaced.

Unfortunately the Auris I linked previously has now been sold. So back to looking. Quick question... Only because there is one very close to us... What's your thoughts on the Citroen C4 Picasso, 2017 Reg, 1.2 Pure Tech? I only ask because there is one very best by to us.

Thank you for that. Turns out it was cheaper to get it through the insurance. In fact quite a lot cheaper. Good it booked in for Tuesday to be replaced.

Unfortunately the Auris I linked previously has now been sold. So back to looking. Quick question... Only because there is one very close to us... What's your thoughts on the Citroen C4 Picasso, 2017 Reg, 1.2 Pure Tech? I only ask because there is one very best by to us.

Too many problems with them. From timing belt failures to electrical gremlins. I wouldn’t recommend one.

As a follow-up to that, I remember buying a 9-month-old Cavalier estate with 23K on the clock in 1984, for about 2/3rds new price. The screen had a noticeable crack rather like the one you describe, so I asked the selling dealer to replace the screen. The answer was 'no, wait a while and claim it on insurance'.

Does she really want a 7str or does she just fancy the raised ride height of an MPV? I spotted this tidy looking low mileage C-Max with the very robust Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol and a manual box within range and price. It doesn’t have 7 seats but it sits up and has loads of room inside. These drive well and offer Japanese reliability but with Fords ability to make a car drive just right. Again avoid the 1.0 Ecoboom and the Powershift autos no matter what any dishonest or uninformed salesperson tells you.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306158561383

How about a Mazda CX3? These are good to drive, reliable and sit up a bit.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304015864033

Edited by SLO76 on 21/06/2023 at 21:49

Quick question... Only because there is one very close to us... What's your thoughts on the Citroen C4 Picasso, 2017 Reg, 1.2 Pure Tech? I only ask because there is one very best by to us.

Citroen's don't have that great a reputation for reliability in general (more niggly electrical things rather than major mechanical ones), and there were issues with the drive belt on earlier Puretech engine. Not sure if they would apply to a 2017 car, but I think I'd give it a miss.

That's really helpful. With ah the issues we've had with our Peugeot 308 diesel I want a car we can trust.

That's really helpful. With ah the issues we've had with our Peugeot 308 diesel I want a car we can trust.

Presumably the 1.6 diesel?, it does have something of a reputation. Though having looked into it, perhaps not entirely deserved.

Peugeot and Citroen have been basically the same under the skin for many years now, so any problematic engines will affect both. The parent company was PSA but now Stellantis, which also includes Vauxhall and Fiat.

Just to be reiterate, i'm not sure the Puretech belt issue would affect the Citroen you are looking at. Forum member John F has a Peugeot 2008 with this engine, had it for a few years now and happy with it. It was one of the last of the original shape, 2019 I think.

No it was the petrol. 1.2 puretech. C4 Picasso.

We currently have a diesel Peugeot 308 and because we only do short trips we're advised to get rid. We're basically deciding between the Auris/Civic/i30!!

So slow reply on this... After some thinking... We've decided we want to get a 7 seater MPV. We're going to Foster soon and hopefully the extra seats will come in handy. What's a good reliable 7 seater MPV? The Vauxhall Zafira Tourer reliable? I'm very happy with dull as dishwater as long as it runs and won't cost us a fortune getting fixed.

So slow reply on this... After some thinking... We've decided we want to get a 7 seater MPV. We're going to Foster soon and hopefully the extra seats will come in handy. What's a good reliable 7 seater MPV? The Vauxhall Zafira Tourer reliable? I'm very happy with dull as dishwater as long as it runs and won't cost us a fortune getting fixed.

You have already asked about 7 seaters (8 days ago), and been answered.

That's very true. Sorry about that. There seemed to be a long list. I wasn't too sure if there was a top 1 or 2 you'd recommend.

I assume we should avoid the Peugeot petrol MPVs like the 5008?

“I assume we should avoid the Peugeot petrol MPVs like the 5008?“

Very much so. The 1600 VTi motors are fragile things sadly and best avoided. I wouldn’t touch a Peugeot of this era.

Do you really need a 7 seater? It severely limits your choice, especially at this money.

I guess not necessarily. We could stick with the Estate. It was just one of these things that would have been helpful further down the line. Maybe the better option is to go for the Estate for now and bump up when we actually need to.

So we're going to have a look at these 2 options on Wednesday with the hope of buying one. Both would with for us. The Hyundai is right at the top end of our budget. Do you have any thoughts on these? Are they decent options? It's the Auris too old? Which one do you think will be the best option?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306218757338?a...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306138486116?a...3

I’m not 100% confident in any of these modern small capacity turbos, there’s been just too many failures - though Kia/Hyundai seem better than the rest. The older and less complex Toyota is probably where my money would go assuming it’s in good condition with full history. These are very robust cars. No turbo, no DPF and no timing belt to be concerned about. Mechanically simple and well made. I like the Auris estate very much as a solid used buy.

That's really helpful. I think I'd choose the car that won't cause us any problems. So it seems like the Auris is the car. I wasn't too sure if being 3 years older would make it less reliable!

So we test drove the Auris 1.6 and it drove really badly. The engine was really loud, and there was something not quite right with the accelerator. When we took our foot of the accelerator, it kept revving for another second or 2. We really struggled with it so we didn't buy it. A lot ofthe bits inside the car were falling apart too.

So we're back to the drawing board. Wondering if this might be a good reliable option?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306299082177?f...s

It's very near by for us. Are Hyundai any decent?

So we test drove the Auris 1.6 and it drove really badly. The engine was really loud, and there was something not quite right with the accelerator. When we took our foot of the accelerator, it kept revving for another second or 2. We really struggled with it so we didn't buy it. A lot ofthe bits inside the car were falling apart too.

So we're back to the drawing board. Wondering if this might be a good reliable option?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306299082177?f...s

It's very near by for us. Are Hyundai any decent?

Yes. Not much wrong with Hyundai other than a lack of image. The 1.4 is a surprisingly lively engine.

Quick question regarding the service history. It seems like the last main service was in 2021. They just had the oil and filters changed in March 2023. Does that count as a proper service?

Quick question regarding the service history. It seems like the last main service was in 2021. They just had the oil and filters changed in March 2023. Does that count as a proper service?

Doesn't really matter whether it counts as a proper service or not, only that it complies with the service schedule. Many cars have small or intermediate services in between big or "proper" services.

I was going to say that honouring the longer warranty you get with Hyundai/Kia is pretty much entirely dependant on the servicing having been carried out by a main dealer, but with the car being a Hyundai (5 year warranty rather than the 7 with a Kia) and the car being a 2018, it doesn't really matter.

So turns out it didn't take matter. We liked the car, but unfortunately the garage wouldn't accept our car as part exchange. It's a Peugeot 308 diesal 2016 reg, but it has the engine light on. We had it checked and the garage says the dpf is blocked up, which is causing the problem. So it's a bit of a pain. I was hoping they'd take the car at a reduced price.

So turns out it didn't take matter. We liked the car, but unfortunately the garage wouldn't accept our car as part exchange. It's a Peugeot 308 diesal 2016 reg, but it has the engine light on. We had it checked and the garage says the dpf is blocked up, which is causing the problem. So it's a bit of a pain. I was hoping they'd take the car at a reduced price.

Why not just get the DPF cleaned? It's not necessarily going to be a great fix but it will make the light go out. Flog it to to WBAC, buy the Hyundai.

Yeah, we're thinking about getting that done. Not sure where the best place is or if I can't actually do it myself.

Yeah, we're thinking about getting that done. Not sure where the best place is or if I can't actually do it myself.

Plenty of mobile people online