Revenue from traffic offences - troppo

Someone`s just asked me if I know how revenue from speeding tickets is appropriated.

They say they`ve searched for the answer and drawn a blank.

Anyone know if there`s accountability/transparency re these funds?

Revenue from traffic offences - Xileno

A FOI request might be a good starting point.

Revenue from traffic offences - Brit_in_Germany

I believe the fines go to the Treasury's Consolidated Fund.

Revenue from traffic offences - Crickleymal

I believe the fines go to the Treasury's Consolidated Fund.

Pretty sure you're right. A quick Google should confirm it.

Revenue from traffic offences - sammy1

I always thought that they went to plods annual Xmas party. Suspect that after expenses for processing and collecting they go into the bottomless pit with the rest of our taxes.

Revenue from traffic offences - troppo

Thanks for the replies, I`ve just passed them on to the trucker in our chat group who asked....as he starts his night shift.

I like the Xmas party one, heard stories about such parties from detectives back in the day. Still can`t repeat them. One rule for......

Revenue from traffic offences - Greendean

I heard before, that to begin with, traffic offences and parking offences where decide to create revenue in order to invest money back into the roads and things to improve the very things that the motorists use. But that was along time ago, so now its used just as another means to create revenue without giving anything back. Basically to fund themselves with the amount of greed they need.

Revenue from traffic offences - Bromptonaut

As above fines for actual offences, whether speeding or death by dangerous driving, go to the Exchequer same as any other offending. Not sure there is any convincing argument for it to be otherwise.

Parking on the road or on LA run car parks, at least in England, is now pretty much wholly dealt with by the Council. It's now called Civil Enforcement but when it started 30 or so years ago the term was Decriminalised Parking Enforcement. In that case the revenue goes to the Council. Same in London and other places where minor moving traffic issues like ignoring turn or no entry restrictions. It's at the back of my mind that there was some obligation to use proceeds for transport related spend but it's not clear how effective that is if it just frees up cash from other sources to be spent on other projects,

Revenue from traffic offences - alan1302

I heard before, that to begin with, traffic offences and parking offences where decide to create revenue in order to invest money back into the roads and things to improve the very things that the motorists use. But that was along time ago, so now its used just as another means to create revenue without giving anything back. Basically to fund themselves with the amount of greed they need.

Don't break the rules...then you don't have to give them anything.

Always laugh when people say speed cameras are there just to make money for the police/government...don't speed past them and they won't make any money and they will have to remove them!

Revenue from traffic offences - sammy1

Don't break the rules...then you don't have to give them anything.

Always laugh when people say speed cameras are there just to make money for the police/government...don't speed past them and they won't make any money and they will have to remove them!

Don't drive to be on the safe side because that's where its heading. Being heavily fined for being just over a speed limit is draconian in a civilised country. Speed camera vans hiding themselves away gives you a clue. Catch the unwary and it is revenue akin to a stealth tax The real offenders who have multiple points well in excess of 12 and still driving only serve as and example of how meaningless the whole system is and how serious authorities are. Buy an e-bike or scooter and join the free brigade

Revenue from traffic offences - Andrew-T

<< Being heavily fined for being just over a speed limit is draconian in a civilised country. >>

Not sure exactly what you are suggesting - that the fine should be proportional to the excess speed ? Well, that already happens to an extent, I think. Or "well, I wasn't much over, so let's call it quits" ?

Once it is accepted that speed limits are necessary, the speed has to be fixed and then complaints start from those who are caught 'just over' the limit. A safety margin is already built into most speedometers so that they over-read, and fines are based on actual (true) speed. The radar-operated displays now common on our roads seem pretty accurate, so there is little excuse for genuine offences. People really complain about being caught, not for speeding as such.

Revenue from traffic offences - Crickleymal

I haven't seen any speed camera vans hiding themselves away. Round here they're in full view. One regular spot is on a bridge over a bypass (not monitoring the bypass) and can be seen for at least 400 yards in either direction. This is typical for camera vans in Gloucestershire.

Revenue from traffic offences - Greendean

Yeah, what usually happens with rules enforced in this way, it is presented in a way that is good for people which to an extent is true because we can all agree speed limits are a good thing. But at the same time they are constantly dreaming up different types of parking fines and maybe changing the speed limit in places that aren't needed to the same extent in order to make money and not really concerned with anything else, like Sammy1 said speed camera vans hiding themselves or even things like yellow boxes, all designed to make money.

Revenue from traffic offences - Andrew-T

.... changing the speed limit in places that aren't needed to the same extent in order to make money and not really concerned with anything else, like Sammy1 said speed camera vans hiding themselves or even things like yellow boxes, all designed to make money.

They are designed to catch drivers exceeding the speed limit - which I agree changes more often than one might think necessary. But If you (as you seem to) agree with speed limits, you are really grumbling about being caught out, resulting in a fine, which 'makes money' once the cost of erecting cameras or paying for police with hair-dryers has been paid. As has been said, if you remain aware of what limit you are driving in you should not get fined. If you drive above it because you think the road doesn't need a limit that low, that is up to you. :-)

At least cameras should be 'fair' in the sense that every car over the limit should be spotted, not just the unlucky ones ....

Being heavily fined for being just over a speed limit is draconian in a civilised country.

Say in a 30mph speed limit how fast should you be allowed to drive without being fined?

Revenue from traffic offences - Metropolis.
45mph
Revenue from traffic offences - Bromptonaut
45mph

That's 50% over a limit set for the safety of more vulnerable road users and, if it were the trigger point there's be people complaining about being recorded at 46mph.

Current guideline of 10% plus a bit seems right to me.

45mph

Would you do anything about people that go faster than 30mph but less than 45mph other or would you just allow people to do that extra speed?

Revenue from traffic offences - ExA35Owner

In which case you are arguing for a 45 mph limit.