What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugot 508 - Advice on buying a second hand Peugot 508 - LH2023

Hi all!

I'm Looking to buy a new 2nd hand car pretty desperately as my old one has kicked the bucket and I'm unable to get to work without one, I have a very tight budget (maximum £2700/£3000) but sadly have no time to save any more and can't work without one.

My last car (volkswagon golf) had continuous problems and and became v expensive to fix (gear box issues over the last two years coming up to nearly £8000)

I'm looking at the peugot 508 and wondered if anyone can give any advice on what sort of problems to expect, I appreciate my budget is small but am hoping to find a car that is as reliable enough/not too expensive to fix...

Any advice on a reliable/cheap enough to maintain car for that price welcome too

Thanks in advance!!

Peugot 508 - Advice on buying a second hand Peugot 508 - Adampr

Is there a particular reason you've alighted on that model? Do you know someone selling one or something like that?

If you just need transport, your best bet is something like a Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 or Toyota Aygo.

Peugot 508 - Advice on buying a second hand Peugot 508 - elekie&a/c doctor
That sort of budget is banger money these days . Keep it simple. No diesel, no automatic, no turbo . Ford Focus with the 1.6 petrol engines are pretty much indestructible.
Peugot 508 - Advice on buying a second hand Peugot 508 - SLO76
That sort of budget is banger money these days . Keep it simple. No diesel, no automatic, no turbo . Ford Focus with the 1.6 petrol engines are pretty much indestructible.

As above. Plus I’d widen the search to include Toyota Auris, Avensis, Honda Civic, Accord and Mazda 3/6 all petrol.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/06/2023 at 12:34

Peugot 508 - Advice on buying a second hand Peugot 508 - Andrew-T

Do you need a car as big as a 508 ? It's a bit bigger than a Golf, and being rather upmarket probably has plenty of gizmos waiting to fail and cost lots to repair/replace. How old is the car your eye is on ?

I need to be able to fit all my work tools etc in! Looking at all ages atm and generally advice as my budget is so small...

Peugot 508 - Advice on buying a second hand Peugot 508 - SLO76
I wouldn’t touch a 508 at this money, or any diesel really.
Peugot 508 - Advice on buying a second hand Peugot 508 - pd

I quite like 508s. They are stonking value and very decent cars.

I'd stick to the 2.0 diesel manual as it's the most common and usually the most reliable/well proven. The 1.6 isn't as good and avoid the EGC ones.

Clutches can get a bit stiff at high miles, check it doesn't go into limp mode under load (injectors can wear on 140) but other than that usual stuff.

You're not going to get a perfect car at that money, it's rock bottom these days so be realistic.

Okay thank you for the advice!

Peugot 508 - Advice on buying a second hand Peugot 508 - JonestHon

Big barge diesel sounds like something I would keep away from but each to their own.

At this money most things will be high milers so your 3k is just the start as in most cases you will need to invest more to keep the car going. At this point I would say that if space is why you need a big car like that then there are other options.

Dacia parts as are reasonably priced far as I can see and if you find a petrol it might be a bit cheaper to run.

Something like this will get my cash over a 508 www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306098319992?a...c